[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] DA's and MenuBar

csbrod@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod) (03/13/91)

vsnyder@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Van Snyder) writes:

>Can a DA have a menu bar?

Unfortunately, it cannot. A GEM restriction.

Claus Brod, Am Felsenkeller 2,			Things. Take. Time.
D-8772 Marktheidenfeld, West Germany		(Piet Hein)
csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de

rosenkra@convex.com (William Rosencranz) (03/14/91)

In article <1991Mar13.101646.23814@informatik.uni-erlangen.de> csbrod@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod) writes:
>vsnyder@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Van Snyder) writes:
>
>>Can a DA have a menu bar?
>
>Unfortunately, it cannot. A GEM restriction.

strickly speaking, it can't be a GEM-controlled menubar, but there is
nothing stopping you from writing your own, say under the AC window's
title/status bar, or even popup menus. these would work more or less
like dialogs. just watch out for getting sued if you are successful :-)

-bill
rosenkra@convex.com

--
Bill Rosenkranz            |UUCP: {uunet,texsun}!convex!c1yankee!rosenkra
Convex Computer Corp.      |ARPA: rosenkra%c1yankee@convex.com

fortinp@bwdls56.Berkeley.EDU (Pierre Fortin) (03/16/91)

In article <1991Mar14.084731.14194@convex.com>, rosenkra@convex.com
(William Rosencranz) writes:
|>In article <1991Mar13.101646.23814@informatik.uni-erlangen.de>
csbrod@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod) writes:

|>>Unfortunately, it cannot. A GEM restriction.
|>
|>strickly speaking, it can't be a GEM-controlled menubar, but there is
|>nothing stopping you from writing your own, say under the AC window's
|>title/status bar, or even popup menus. these would work more or less
|>like dialogs. just watch out for getting sued if you are successful :-)

Have a look at STalker/STeno...  They can run as DA/PRG and menu bars
exist in either invocation.

|>--
|>Bill Rosenkranz            |UUCP: {uunet,texsun}!convex!c1yankee!rosenkra
|>Convex Computer Corp.      |ARPA: rosenkra%c1yankee@convex.com

Cheers,
Pierre Fortin       fortinp@bnr.ca         (613)763-2598

mc4c+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Choi) (03/16/91)

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.atari.st.tech: 15-Mar-91 Re: DA's and
> MenuBar Pierre Fortin@bwdls56.Be (1006)

> |>strickly speaking, it can't be a GEM-controlled menubar, but there is
> |>nothing stopping you from writing your own, say under the AC window's
> |>title/status bar, or even popup menus. these would work more or less
> |>like dialogs. just watch out for getting sued if you are successful :-)
> |>

> Have a look at STalker/STeno...  They can run as DA/PRG and menu bars
> exist in either invocation.

And in addition to these fine works of software, there is a DA paint
program that, when it's DA slot is selected from the menu, replaces the
desk menu with it's own thus allowing a menu selection. Once this is
done, the next time you drop the desk menu on down, it is back to normal.

pegram@kira.UUCP (Robert B. Pegram) (03/20/91)

From article <1991Mar12.234442.13474@jato.jpl.nasa.gov>, by vsnyder@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Van Snyder):
> Can a DA have a menu bar?
>
> I have a program that, when run as a PRG, paints and responds to its
> menu bar just fine.  When run as an ACC, the next meaningful action after
> MenuBar(...) is reaching for the reset button.  If I take out the MenuBar(),
> the rest of the ACC works fine.
>
> Is this a GEM restriction, or am I just not holding my mouth right?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> vsnyder@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov
> ames!elroy!jato!vsnyder
> vsnyder@jato.uucp

Yup, no DA can touch the menu bar.  However,try and get in touch with
Eric Rosenquist (SP?????) here or elsewhere.  His program, STeno does
what you want *very nicely* with a separate menu bar inside the window
(menus even "drop up" from the bottom if they can't drop down
properly).  Perhaps he could give you some pointers, or maybe even
release his code - when it's no longer a major selling point of his
programs 8-).  I'd love to be able to do that - even with regular
programs.

ciao,
	Bob Pegram

pegram@griffin.uvm.edu