[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Early Keyboard Processor Problems

dmb@wam.umd.edu (David M. Baggett) (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar19.183734.16305@uvm.edu> pegram@kira.UUCP (Robert B. Pegram) writes:
>      The other interesting thing is that there are two versions of
>the keyboard processor.  I have an '85 ST, but luckily it used the
>later processor -002.  If yours is a -001 version, you need a whole new
>keyboard if it goes bad (I _hope_ that version was only on the
>developer 520s, this is, after all, ancient history 8-).

It's not only in developers' ST's.  A friend of mine is blessed with one,
and boy is it screwed up.  The mouse pointer will suddenly start moving
on its own every once in a while, and the keyboard processor randomly
"presses keys" whenever the joystick is being used.  This problem is
in enough ST's that Michtron's Time Bandit requires you to press 'Q'
_twice_ to quit the program.  (I suppose they could have done that for
other reasons, but I'm suspicious...)

Add to this the charming behavior of early ST MIDI ports (1986 and
earlier) -- they drop bytes every once and a while.  Just great for
testing a multiplayer game that syncs up over MIDI!

Dave Baggett
dmb%wam.umd.edu@uunet.uu.net