[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] SIPPs in an STe

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (03/21/91)

Will SIPPs work in an STe?  How do SIPPs differ from SIMMs?

If I have 2 1megx8 SIMMs already in my STe, will 2 1megx9 SIPPs work with
them to give me a total 4meg?

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) (03/23/91)

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:

>Will SIPPs work in an STe?  How do SIPPs differ from SIMMs?

>If I have 2 1megx8 SIMMs already in my STe, will 2 1megx9 SIPPs work with
>them to give me a total 4meg?

SIPPs are SIMMs with pins. They use single in line sockets very much
like IC sockes.
I did desolder the pins and clean the contacts of some SIPs to make them
SIMMs again. They work fine.

9 bit SIMMs are no problem in either MacSE/SE30 or Atari STE. Tried it
out.
The 9 bit SIMMs/SIPs contain one more chip, but the inout-pin of this
chip is not connected to anything in the STE. To be sure, connect the
Data 9 inout to a 10 k pullup to 5 volts. This will make the chip read
in a 1 on every write and stop it from doing wild things.

hase
--
Hartmut Semken, Lupsteiner Weg 67, 1000 Berlin 37 hase@netmbx.UUCP
Hi! (Zaphod Beeblebrox)

pegram@kira.UUCP (Robert B. Pegram) (03/26/91)

From article <1991Mar20.210939.18026@ecst.csuchico.edu>, by ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen):
> Will SIPPs work in an STe?  How do SIPPs differ from SIMMs?

> If I have 2 1megx8 SIMMs already in my STe, will 2 1megx9 SIPPs work with
> them to give me a total 4meg?

Disclaimer:  I have not actually seen a SIPP yet.....

As I understand it, SIPPS are SIMMS with pins soldered on (or the
equivalent).  On PCs, they are sold as removeable, in STEs they have
been soldered in place of the SIMM connectors.  The 1Mx9 SIMMS work
fine in STEs, but you will have some modifications to make on SIPPS to
make them fit.  Have a good look at the ones you are considering, if
they look as if they are modified SIMMS, and you think that you can
reverse the mod - go for it.  Otherwise, don't bother.

Not too helpful, I know 8-).

ciao,
	Bob Pegram

pegram@griffin.uvm.edu