[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] New mechanism in Megafile 20

stephen@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Steve Whitney) (04/03/91)

Hello, Netters!

	I'm planning to replace the 20MB ST225 5-1/4" MFM hard disk mechanism
in my Megafile 20 with another Segate model (ST251-1, 42MB MFM)...  I'd like
to continue to use Atari's hard disk software, but in order to format the
disk with HDX, I need to modify the WINCAP file so that it correctly represents
the new drive.  Anyone know how to do such a thing?

	If not, what software do you recommend I format it with?

		Thanks,

		 Steve

--
Steve Whitney   "It's never _really_ the last minute"       (())_-_(())
UCLA Comp. Sci. Grad. Student                                | (* *) |

entropy@gnu.ai.mit.edu (entropy) (04/03/91)

In article <1991Apr3.000150.16688@cs.ucla.edu> stephen@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Steve Whitney) writes:
> Hello, Netters!
>   I'm planning to replace the 20MB ST225 5-1/4" MFM hard disk mechanism
>  in my Megafile 20 with another Segate model (ST251-1, 42MB MFM)...  I'd like
>  to continue to use Atari's hard disk software, but in order to format the
>  disk with HDX, I need to modify the WINCAP file so that it correctly represents
>  the new drive.  Anyone know how to do such a thing?

Could someone perhaps post what the meanings of all the entries are?
I'm sure it would be of general interest to most users.

Muchas gracias,
    entropy

kentd@FtCollins.NCR.com (Kent.Dalton) (04/03/91)

> 	I'm planning to replace the 20MB ST225 5-1/4" MFM hard disk mechanism
> in my Megafile 20 with another Segate model (ST251-1, 42MB MFM)...  I'd like
> to continue to use Atari's hard disk software, but in order to format the
> disk with HDX, I need to modify the WINCAP file so that it correctly represents
> the new drive.  Anyone know how to do such a thing?

Yep. I replaced the drive mech in my Megafile 30 (RLL) with a 120Mb unit.
Basically, all I did was pull the old drive out, plug the new one in and
update the WINCAP file to reflect the new drive's specs. Then formatted
it with HDX-3.01 (I think that's the version #)

If you pull up the WINCAP file in a text editor, you'll see that it has
comments inside it documenting how the different HD specific things are
represented. It's really pretty easy provided you have all the technical
info on your HD type sitting in front of you...

From memory, here are some of the major things you'll need to know about
the new mech:

# of cylinders
# of heads
# of sectors per track
Landing zone
Pre-comp cylinder (Can't remember exactly if this is what it's called)

Of course, I have a _sample_ home brew WINCAP entry at home... :^)

/* Kent Dalton                     * EMail: Kent.Dalton@FtCollins.NCR.COM */
/* NCR Microelectronics            *   CIS: 72320,3306                    */
/* 2001 Danfield Ct. MS470A        *                                      */
/* Fort Collins, Colorado 80525    * (303) 223-5100 X-319                 */
Fortune:
President Reagan has noted that there are too many economic pundits and
forecasters and has decided on an excess prophets tax.

onders@degas.ipl.rpi.edu (Timothy E. Onders) (04/04/91)

Swapping mechanisms is a very satisfying way to upgrade you HD space.
I've got a 75 meg SH-204 myself :) (SH-204 w/ a Priam 75 MBy drive)

Hardware-wise, all that must be done is to swich the drives.  For
editing the WINCAP file, most of the directions are in the file
itself.  The necessary information can usually be had by calling your
drive's manufacturer's techicnal support department.  If you don't want
to do that, the Supra drive utilities also work, and have information
for most common drives.
					-Tim

stephen@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Steve Whitney) (04/04/91)

In article <bx_gzpc@rpi.edu> onders@degas.ipl.rpi.edu (Timothy E. Onders) writes:
>Swapping mechanisms is a very satisfying way to upgrade you HD space.
>I've got a 75 meg SH-204 myself :) (SH-204 w/ a Priam 75 MBy drive)

My drive fills up every two days or so.  I'm going to _enjoy_ this!  Faster
too!

>Hardware-wise, all that must be done is to swich the drives.  For
>editing the WINCAP file, most of the directions are in the file
>itself.  The necessary information can usually be had by calling your
>drive's manufacturer's techicnal support department...

Thanks for the info, Tim.  Some of the wincap parameters are nice normal
parameters like number of heads, number of cylinders, etc., but some of 'em
are weird: test pattern?  (or something like that)  It's different for many
of the drives listed in the wincap, but I don't understand why.  The ST225
that was originally in there uses the defaults for all of the parameters
besides the weird test pattern thing.

So far, I haven't received any e-mail responses, but if I do, I'll post
a summary.

--

hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) (04/05/91)

stephen@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Steve Whitney) writes:
>Thanks for the info, Tim.  Some of the wincap parameters are nice normal
>parameters like number of heads, number of cylinders, etc., but some of 'em
>are weird: test pattern?  (or something like that)  It's different for many
>of the drives listed in the wincap, but I don't understand why.  The ST225
>that was originally in there uses the defaults for all of the parameters
>besides the weird test pattern thing.

The test pattern is used to test the drive for bad blocks (Physical Unit
Markbad).

These differ for RLL and MFM drives; the "worst" byte pattern - that is
the one hardest to store for the media - should be used here, but it
makes no big difference at all.

hase
--
Hartmut Semken, Lupsteiner Weg 67, 1000 Berlin 37 hase@netmbx.UUCP