[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Hardware -vs- Software Scrolling

wniren@pyrtech.pyramid.com (Walter "Crash" Nirenberg) (04/04/91)

Greetings,

I'm planning on designing an application which will use scrolling.  I
would like to build it on a TT but since it will be a while until the
TT's arrive, I would like to get a head start using an older system.
As most of you know, the 1040STe and the TT have hardware scrolling
while the other models don't.

My question is what's the difference between scrolling routines written
for an older system and a new system with hardware scrolling?  Would I have
to completely rewrite them to take advantage of the hardware or would it be
a minor modification?

If it's going to be difficult, I will either buy a 1040STe or wait for
the TT to come out.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Walter Nirenberg
wniren@pyramid.com
wniren@pyrtech.pyramid.com
415/335-8730w

vsnyder@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Van Snyder) (04/04/91)

In article <150708@pyramid.pyramid.com> wniren@pyrtech.pyramid.com (Walter "Crash" Nirenberg) writes:
>My question is what's the difference between scrolling routines written
>for an older system and a new system with hardware scrolling?  Would I have
>to completely rewrite them to take advantage of the hardware or would it be
>a minor modification?
I've been using the raster operations in VDI and LineA, in the hope that the
OS will automatically take advantage of the hardware when it's there.  If
I'm wrong, will somebody please post?

--
vsnyder@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov
ames!elroy!jato!vsnyder

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (04/05/91)

vsnyder@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Van Snyder) writes:
>I've been using the raster operations in VDI and LineA, in the hope that the
>OS will automatically take advantage of the hardware when it's there.  If
>I'm wrong, will somebody please post?

You're wrong.  The only hardware that can help raster operations is a
blitter, and VDI/LineA automatically takes advantage of that when you
do those operations. But "hardware scrolling" means something else.
It operates on the entire display, not just pieces of memory.

Hardware scrolling means that you have a "virtual display" which is
larger than your physical screen.  Imagine a large piece of paper with
a smaller piece of glass on it. Your screen is a "window" onto the
larger display.  You can move the window around very quickly, in very
fine increments, and this is hardware scrolling.  The point is that you
just bang a few registers rather than moving all 32K of screen memory
to accomplish the move.  (On the TT it can be 150K of screen memory!)

(Of course, the piece of paper doesn't have to be as big as the world
you're scrolling around in; it can be just a little bigger, and you can
write the world in strips as it becomes visible.)

Both the TT and the STe can move the window vertically on single-line
boundaries, and the STe can move the window horizontally on
single-pixel boundaries, but the TT can only move horizontally on
8-byte boundaries. This is eight pixels in the 256-color mode, but
sixteen pixels in the 16-color modes, and sixty-four pixels in the
monochrome modes.

Hardware scrolling is only good for limited applications like paint
programs where you want a canvas larger than your screen, or games
where you want to scroll the player's view around in a larger world.

Hardware scrolling CAN be used to make whole-screen scrolling faster.
This is something you do in TOS programs when you're on the bottom line
of the screen and you hit return.  But that's another specialized
operation, and it doesn't help such useful programs as Emacs, where
some parts of the screen move and some don't.

scale@abode.wciu.edu (Luis Outumuro) (04/05/91)

In article <150708@pyramid.pyramid.com> wniren@pyrtech.pyramid.com (Walter "Crash" Nirenberg) writes:

>Greetings,
>
>I'm planning on designing an application which will use scrolling.  I
>would like to build it on a TT but since it will be a while until the
>TT's arrive, I would like to get a head start using an older system.
>As most of you know, the 1040STe and the TT have hardware scrolling
>while the other models don't.
>
>My question is what's the difference between scrolling routines written
>for an older system and a new system with hardware scrolling?  Would I have
>to completely rewrite them to take advantage of the hardware or would it be
>a minor modification?
>
>If it's going to be difficult, I will either buy a 1040STe or wait for
>the TT to come out.
>
>Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
>

>Walter Nirenberg
>wniren@pyramid.com
>wniren@pyrtech.pyramid.com
>415/335-8730w

	Hi Walter,
		Well so you know, the TT's and Mega STe's are shipping now.
Check with your local dealer as to when they will recieve them.  Here is a
buffered message from CodeHead Quarters BBS:

Message : 12250 [Open]  4-03-91  6:19pm

From    : John King Tarpinian

To      : One And All

Subject : They're Here...

Sig(s)  : 9 (Did Somebody Say Deal?)

The Computer Network got its first shipment of TT030's and MEGA STe's with

a second shipment on the way...

The Computer Network

1605 W. Glenoaks Bl.

Glendale, CA 91201

818-500-3900

[N]ext [J]ump [R]eply [A]gain [Q]uit

Luis Mark Outumuro III                |  "Well... you're damned if you do,
Computer Office Products 818/813-1051 |   and you're damned if you don't!"
Infoline                 818/813-1053 |         - Bart Simpson, 1990...