[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] GIF to SPC convertors

D.M.Johnson@newcastle.ac.uk (Dave Johnson) (04/09/91)

Hi, Having been sent some gif pictures, I decided to view them on my ST.

I looked around the PD site and found a few viewers, and also GIFSPC and
SPLINDEX.

When the gifs were viewed using FASTGIF the pictures came out ok (In 16
colours) but I decided I would like to see them in full colour glory and so
feed them through GIFSPC and viewed the result on SPLINDEX - The result was a
completely messed up picture. Could be the convertor me tinks and so tried
BGIF. The resulting SPU picture was better but still not perfect as it was
still corrupt in places, (odd lines missing etc)

Has anyone else had this problem, if so has any one cured the problem. what is
the problem. etc etc etc?

My Machine is a 520STFM with 1.02 OS and 2.5M of memory

Dave Johnson

lsmichae@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Lars Michael) (04/09/91)

D.M.Johnson@newcastle.ac.uk (Dave Johnson) writes:

>Hi, Having been sent some gif pictures, I decided to view them on my ST.

>I looked around the PD site and found a few viewers, and also GIFSPC and
>SPLINDEX.

>When the gifs were viewed using FASTGIF the pictures came out ok (In 16
>colours) but I decided I would like to see them in full colour glory and so
>feed them through GIFSPC and viewed the result on SPLINDEX - The result was a
>completely messed up picture. Could be the convertor me tinks and so tried
>BGIF. The resulting SPU picture was better but still not perfect as it was
>still corrupt in places, (odd lines missing etc)

>Has anyone else had this problem, if so has any one cured the problem. what is
>the problem. etc etc etc?

>My Machine is a 520STFM with 1.02 OS and 2.5M of memory

>Dave Johnson

I had these problems, too.

I got several GIF->SP? converters from atari.archive but no one was ok.
GIFSPC has the effects a described above. It seems that the color
computation is buggy. I tried to convert the baywatch4 GIF pic and
noticed a wrong background color in some areain the SPC pic. It should
be light blue but was dark blue. And the same with Erikas body  8-(  ...

BGIF seems better as GIFSPC, but doesn't use all y-resolution. The
resulting SP? pics are teeny weeny itsy bitsy ones.

VGIF has a build-in converter which seems to be the best of them, but
(my version) converts only the top left edge (320 x 200) of the picture.
What a mess if you want the baywatch* GIF pics convert to SP?  8-((

I have coded a good RGB2SPU converter, but 'til now I have *no* GIF2RGB
converter. I 've started last month, but got no result 'til now. The
GIF pic format is very *tricky*  8-(((

BTW:   I'm using a MEGA ST2 with TOS 1.4 (new notation: 1.04) and 4 Megs

Any comments, ideas?
								Lars

+----------------------------------------+----------------------------------+
|     lsmichae@faui43.uni-erlangen.de    |    | | |                         |
|             Lars Michael               |    | | |   "Down with ATARI,     |
|  Graduate Student of Computer Science  |   /  |  \  Long live the ST !"   |
|    at University of Erlangen/Germany   |  /   |   \                       |
+----------------------------------------+----------------------------------|
|  "May the Schwartz be with you!"                                          |

dorner@telematik.informatik.uni-karlsruhe.de (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr9.134525.24039@informatik.uni-erlangen.de>, lsmichae@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Lars Michael) writes:
> D.M.Johnson@newcastle.ac.uk (Dave Johnson) writes:
>
>>Hi, Having been sent some gif pictures, I decided to view them on my ST.
>
>>I looked around the PD site and found a few viewers, and also GIFSPC and
>>SPLINDEX.
>
>>When the gifs were viewed using FASTGIF the pictures came out ok (In 16
>>colours) but I decided I would like to see them in full colour glory and so
>>feed them through GIFSPC and viewed the result on SPLINDEX - The result was a
>>completely messed up picture. Could be the convertor me tinks and so tried
>>BGIF. The resulting SPU picture was better but still not perfect as it was
>>still corrupt in places, (odd lines missing etc)
[stuff deleted]
Perhaps the problem isn't the converter, but the slide show - program.
Spectrum slide shows are very tricky, most of them run only with 50 Hz or 60 Hz
monitors (that was an exclusive or!). I got a similar problem with GIFSPC and
SPSLIDEX, which was written for 60 Hz. The code in 50 Hz slide shows needs an
additional 'NOP'.

Thomas

boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr9.134525.24039@informatik.uni-erlangen.de>, lsmichae@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Lars Michael) writes:

>I got several GIF->SP? converters from atari.archive but no one was ok.
>GIFSPC has the effects a described above. It seems that the color
>computation is buggy. I tried to convert the baywatch4 GIF pic and
>noticed a wrong background color in some areain the SPC pic. It should
>be light blue but was dark blue. And the same with Erikas body  8-(  ...

Try DigiSpec or UniSpec.  They do an excellent job.  I believe these
are sold with a digitizer from Alpha Systems.

--
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "Kirk to Enterprise.  All clear

rosenkra@convex.com (William Rosencranz) (04/12/91)

i posted src to mgif on c.s.a.st which includes the tricky .GIF decoding.
i end up with rgb buffers for each scan line. after that, you can do anything
u want, including recode for .SPC and dump to disk. the .spc format is
documented in the picfmt files also on atari.archive (forgot the author -
sorry). what i did was run the rgb arrays thru a floyd-steinberg ditherer
so i could view the image on monochrome (hence m(mono)gif). since i use my
sc1224 about once a year, i prefer mono gifs. as far as i know, this is
the only generally available gif viewer for which src is available. i lifted
the gif decoder from PBMplus, also on atari.archive, though no src (i used
comp.sources.unix sources). the f-s dither is my own doing. if you can get
the decoder to run faster, i'd appreciate a copy...

now that i think of it, i think the PBM package includes giftopbm and pbmtospc
converters. i have not tried these, however. with a shell that can pipe,
you should be able to do:

	giftopbm file.gif | pbmtospc >file.spc

or maybe

	cat file.gif | giftopbm | pbmtospc >file.spc

pbm format is a generic (portable) bitmap format. maybe you need ppm (pixmap)
for color images (giftoppm and ppmtospc). read the docs on PBMplus. i don't
remember which is which...

-bill
rosenkra@convex.com
--
Bill Rosenkranz            |UUCP: {uunet,texsun}!convex!c1yankee!rosenkra
Convex Computer Corp.      |ARPA: rosenkra%c1yankee@convex.com

seb3@gte.com (Steve Belczyk) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr12.011732.8868@convex.com> rosenkra@convex.com (William Rosencranz) writes:
>now that i think of it, i think the PBM package includes giftopbm and pbmtospc
>converters. i have not tried these, however. with a shell that can pipe,
>you should be able to do:
>
>	giftopbm file.gif | pbmtospc >file.spc

That would be:

  giftoppm file.gif | ppmtospu >file.spu

If the GIF was not 320x200, you'd have to do:

  giftoppm file.gif | ppmscale -width 320 -height 200 | ppmtospu >file.spu

Ppmtospu uses the same algorithm to convert to Spectrum that GIFSPC
uses.  However, since ppmscale uses a much better algorithm to scale a
picture that is not 320x200, large GIFs would probably look much better
using PBMplus instead of GIFSPC.  Ppmtospu also has a 4x4 dithering
option which GIFSPC does not have.

BTW, if anyone wants to build a better GIF to Spectrum convertor, the
sources to giftoppm and ppmtospu would be a great place to start.  I
still have most of the source to GIFSPC, but it is very poorly written,
and slower, compared to giftoppm, ppmscale, and ppmtospu.

Steve Belczyk   CIS: 75126,515    BBS: +1 508 664-0149 (2400 bps)
seb3@gte.com    GEnie: sbelczyk   UUCP: {harvard,vaxine}!bunny!seb3