[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Drive redirects

cs00bd@unccvax.uncc.edu (brian daniels) (04/14/91)

Is there any program out there that redirects drive accesses so that
a program that insists on having it's files on drive a can be placed on
drive c?

Thanks,
Brian

Reality is what YOU make of it.    Brian Daniels  (cs00bd@unccvax.uncc.edu)
"My opinions are mine and do not represent those of my host computer"

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (04/14/91)

In article <3343@unccvax.uncc.edu> cs00bd@unccvax.uncc.edu (brian daniels) writes:

>Is there any program out there that redirects drive accesses so that
>a program that insists on having it's files on drive a can be placed on
>drive c?

I usually load the program into a sector editor and change the drive
indicators by hand, looking for "A:\" or something similar and changing it
to "C:\".  Some programs won't let you do this.  What program are you trying
to change?

If there is a program out there that does this automatically, I would
like to know about it too. :^)

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (04/15/91)

In article <1991Apr14.013716.13084@ecst.csuchico.edu> ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:

|  I usually load the program into a sector editor and change the drive
|  indicators by hand, looking for "A:\" or something similar and changing it
|  to "C:\".  Some programs won't let you do this.  What program are you trying
|  to change?

What about changing "A:\" to simply "\", advancing the following
characters if necessary?  Also, if programs would access with "\"
rather than hard-wire "A:", all this wouldn't be necessary.  Right?

--
Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.fr				   Addresses are ordered by importance.

millert@tramp.Colorado.EDU (MILLER TODD C) (04/15/91)

In article <RALPH.91Apr15104239@orion.laas.fr> ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) writes:
>What about changing "A:\" to simply "\", advancing the following
>characters if necessary?  Also, if programs would access with "\"
>rather than hard-wire "A:", all this wouldn't be necessary.  Right?

I changed the "A:" in tapemakr.prg (make cassette sleeves) to ".\" to get the
current directory.  This works well for me, since the data files are in the
same directory as the program.

 - todd
--
Todd C. Miller                    | "But all the politiCIAns now
millert@tramp.Colorado.EDU        |  They have no excuse

dorner@telematik.informatik.uni-karlsruhe.de (04/15/91)

In article <1991Apr14.013716.13084@ecst.csuchico.edu>, ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:
> In article <3343@unccvax.uncc.edu> cs00bd@unccvax.uncc.edu (brian daniels) writes:
>>

>>Is there any program out there that redirects drive accesses so that
>>a program that insists on having it's files on drive a can be placed on
>>drive c?
>
> I usually load the program into a sector editor and change the drive
> indicators by hand, looking for "A:\" or something similar and changing it
> to "C:\".  Some programs won't let you do this.  What program are you trying
> to change?
>
> If there is a program out there that does this automatically, I would
> like to know about it too. :^)
I wrote such a program a few weeks ago. I'll do some last testing, write the
documentaion, then I'll post it to comp.binaries.atari.st.

The program works as accessory, which allows you to choose any folder on your
harddisk as logical drive 'A' or 'B'.
One advantage: You really may choose any folder, so you wont have to use C:\
               for all these programs who never heard of hard disks.
One drawback: It is dangerous to change the drive within another program, which
              could have open files on the specified drive. (Just as this
              program wont like it, if you plug off a physical drive.)

Thomas

spa@fct.unl.pt (Salvador Pinto Abreu) (04/16/91)

on 15 Apr 91 08:42:39 GMT,
ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) said:
[...]

Ralph> What about changing "A:\" to simply "\", advancing the following
Ralph> characters if necessary?  Also, if programs would access with "\"
Ralph> rather than hard-wire "A:", all this wouldn't be necessary.  Right?

It would be even better to remove the leading "\", thereby allowing
you to just dump the stuff in a subdirectory, instead of cluttering up
the root of some partition (which I like to keep small).
--
-- Salvador Pinto Abreu		<spa@fct.unl.pt> or <mcsun!unl!spa>
				Universidade Nova de Lisboa, PORTUGAL

csbrod@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod) (04/16/91)

>In article <3343@unccvax.uncc.edu> cs00bd@unccvax.uncc.edu (brian daniels) writes:
>>

>>Is there any program out there that redirects drive accesses so that
>>a program that insists on having it's files on drive a can be placed on
>>drive c?

I have written such a beastie and will soon release it as a PD program
if there's enough interest for it. Is there?

Claus Brod, Am Felsenkeller 2,			Things. Take. Time.
D-8772 Marktheidenfeld, West Germany		(Piet Hein)
csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Claus Brod@wue.maus.de

millert@tramp.Colorado.EDU (MILLER TODD C) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr16.123220.7733@informatik.uni-erlangen.de> csbrod@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod) writes:
>>In article <3343@unccvax.uncc.edu> cs00bd@unccvax.uncc.edu (brian daniels) writes:
>>>
>>>Is there any program out there that redirects drive accesses so that
>>>a program that insists on having it's files on drive a can be placed on
>>>drive c?
>
>I have written such a beastie and will soon release it as a PD program
>if there's enough interest for it. Is there?

You bet there is! :-)

 - todd
--

spa@fct.unl.pt (Salvador Pinto Abreu) (04/17/91)

	daniels) writes:

   >>Is there any program out there that redirects drive accesses so that
   >>a program that insists on having it's files on drive a can be placed on
   >>drive c?

   I have written such a beastie and will soon release it as a PD program
   if there's enough interest for it. Is there?

YES!
--

csbrod@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod) (04/17/91)

spa@fct.unl.pt (Salvador Pinto Abreu) writes:

>   I have written such a beastie and will soon release it as a PD program
>   if there's enough interest for it. Is there?

>YES!

Stop filling my mail queue, please! I surrender! 8-)

I will write a short doc for the program and place it in the PD.
In the meantime, maybe someone could explain me how to make sure
that it appears in comp.binaries.atari.st. I tried the recommended
path once with some other program, but never succeeded.