[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] trash

ytsuji@wucc.waseda.ac.jp (Y.Tsuji) (04/24/91)

My knowledge of GEM programming is very poor and cannot rename the
name of the rubbish bin shown on the desktop. I once tried to
read the .inf file into my debugger and tried to change the name,
but the space did not fit(strlen(trash) == 5 while strlen(rubbish)
== 7). Can someone e-mail me a sample desktop.inf whose rubbish bin
is shown as 'rubbish' or teach me how to write a program for it?
I understand most programming languages. And when e-mailing the
desktop.inf, please uuencode it. Thanks.
 Dr Yoshimasa Tsuji
 ytsuji@cfi.waseda.ac.jp
 YTSUJI AT JPNWAS00.BITNET

P.S.
This posting is just out of curiosity.

warwick@cs.uq.oz.au (Warwick Allison) (04/24/91)

In <5510@wucc.waseda.ac.jp> ytsuji@wucc.waseda.ac.jp (Y.Tsuji) writes:

>Can someone e-mail me a sample desktop.inf whose rubbish bin
>is shown as 'rubbish' or teach me how to write a program for it?
>I understand most programming languages. And when e-mailing the
>desktop.inf, please uuencode it. Thanks.

The desktop.inf is in ASCII, just use any old text editor, or even a
word processor with an "ASCII" mode, and change the text.  You don't
have to stick to words of the same length either.

Warwick
--
  _-_|\       warwick@cs.uq.oz.au
 /     *  <-- Computer Science Department,

geert@ahds.UUCP (Geert W.T. Jonkheer CCS/TS) (04/24/91)

In article <5510@wucc.waseda.ac.jp>, ytsuji@wucc.waseda.ac.jp (Y.Tsuji) writes:
> My knowledge of GEM programming is very poor and cannot rename the
> name of the rubbish bin shown on the desktop. I once tried to
> read the .inf file into my debugger and tried to change the name,
> but the space did not fit(strlen(trash) == 5 while strlen(rubbish)
> == 7). Can someone e-mail me a sample desktop.inf whose rubbish bin
> is shown as 'rubbish' or teach me how to write a program for it?
> I understand most programming languages. And when e-mailing the
> desktop.inf, please uuencode it. Thanks.

Just a hint, you must not debug the desktop.inf file with your
debugger, but its easier to edit the desktop.inf file with
a editor (for example wordplus or tempus).
There you can easily change the name of the thrash icon into
rubbish (don't bother about the size of the text).
The maximum size of an icon text is (so good as I remember it)
10. Thus you so long as your name does not exceed 10 characters
it will work. Try it!

Geert.

ytsuji@wucc.waseda.ac.jp (Y.Tsuji) (04/24/91)

Thanks a lot for everyone who kindly remarked that 'desktop.inf' file
is an MSDOS-type ASCII file. The thing is that my Developer's Kit did
not contain any info about it! I had always thought the 'desktop.inf'
was an esoteric file containing the bit image of the rubbish bin etc.
Thanks for all who helped me. The issue is now closed.