[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Help!! Monitor screen "shakes"

vovut@prism.cs.orst.edu (04/29/91)

I'm having more problems with my monochrome monitor again.  A few weeks
ago my monitor "died".  Luckily a few people on the network informed
me that all I had to do was to replace several diodes.  I did that
and it has worked fine.

A few days ago the picture started to "shake".  The entire screen
vibrates, with the left side being more noticeable.

I didn't replace the diodes in the monitor with the *exact* diodes,
but the salesperson at the electronics shop said the ones I have
will work.  I think the differene is that the ones I'm using now
have a higher voltage rating (??).

Has anybody seen this problem?  Is there a fix, or do I need to buy
another monitor?

Thanks in advance.

vovut@prism.cs.orst.edu

chuck@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (charles bridgeland) (04/29/91)

vovut@prism.cs.orst.edu writes:

>I'm having more problems with my monochrome monitor again.  A few weeks
>ago my monitor "died".  Luckily a few people on the network informed
>me that all I had to do was to replace several diodes.  I did that
>and it has worked fine.

>A few days ago the picture started to "shake".  The entire screen
>vibrates, with the left side being more noticeable.
---------------------------------------
do you have an external power supply, and where do you put it?  a few
weeks ago i set my system up after unpacking, and set the "big black
brick" next to the monitor.  the display quivvered, just enough to
be annoying and worrying,until i thought to move the PS.  fine now.

chuck bridgeland---anarchoRepublican
"one thing about a police state, you can always find the police" l. neil smith
chuck@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu     hire me so I can quit this pit.

vovut@prism.cs.orst.edu (04/29/91)

>---------------------------------------
>do you have an external power supply, and where do you put it?  a few
>weeks ago i set my system up after unpacking, and set the "big black
>brick" next to the monitor.  the display quivvered, just enough to
>be annoying and worrying,until i thought to move the PS.  fine now.
>
>--
>chuck bridgeland---anarchoRepublican
>"one thing about a police state, you can always find the police" l. neil smith
>chuck@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu     hire me so I can quit this pit.

All of my power supplies are internal.  My monitor has been on top of my
Megafile 30 for over a year now without any interference.  There are no
other sources of interference around the monitor.  The darn thing just
decided to "shake" on day and hasn't stopped yet.  It still works, but
I'd *REALLY* like to get rid of the shaking.

vovut@prism.cs.orst.edu

bright@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Bob Bright) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr28.215931.8719@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> vovut@prism.cs.orst.edu writes:
>I'm having more problems with my monochrome monitor again.  A few weeks
>ago my monitor "died".  Luckily a few people on the network informed
>me that all I had to do was to replace several diodes.  I did that
>and it has worked fine.
>
>A few days ago the picture started to "shake".  The entire screen
>vibrates, with the left side being more noticeable.

Have you relocated your system/monitor, or placed any new equipment in
the vicinity?  The SM124 is _extremely_ sensitive to magnetic fields.
Even a small magnet placed next to the monitor will sometimes cause an
annoying jitter in the display; a small flourescent lamp next to the
monitor will cause it to go crazy.  When I first got my ST the display
sometimes jittered and it took me two months to track down the source
of the problem.  There was nothing in my office that made any
difference, and no wiring buried in the wall, etc.; but the jitters
got really bad whenever a guy on the other side of the building turned
on his electric heater.  It turned out that the electrical service for
the building was on the wall _outside_ my office, about 1-1/2 feet
from my monitor, and the heater was drawing enough extra current
through the service to cause the problem.

Anyway, try moving your monitor to the center of the room or something
like that to rule out magnetic interference.

BBB
--
Bob Bright <bright@ccu.umanitoba.ca>
Dept. of Philosophy

stigvi@Lise.Unit.NO (Stig Vidar Hovland) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr29.160717.13080@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU>, vovut@prism.cs.orst.edu writes:
|> All of my power supplies are internal.  My monitor has been on top of my
|> Megafile 30 for over a year now without any interference.  There are no
|> other sources of interference around the monitor.  The darn thing just
|> decided to "shake" on day and hasn't stopped yet.  It still works, but
|> I'd *REALLY* like to get rid of the shaking.
|>
|> vovut@prism.cs.orst.edu

Well, my monitor "shakes" heavily when a noisy hoover i used in a room
below mine........

Stig Vidar Hovland - stigvi@lise.unit.no

psantan@alias.uucp (Peter Santangeli) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr28.215931.8719@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU>, vovut@prism.cs.orst.edu writes:
> A few days ago the picture started to "shake".  The entire screen
> vibrates, with the left side being more noticeable...
> Has anybody seen this problem?  Is there a fix, or do I need to buy
> another monitor?

I had this problem about 3 years ago with my monochrome monitor.
After three trips to Atari to get it fixed (they kept claiming
that it was interference. Funny how it happened anywhere I took
it, and anywhere I put it), they finaly replaced the monitor
for me for free. I am not suggesting that they will always do this,
but since I never found out what the problem was, I would be
interested in knowing how it turns out.

Peter Santangeli                           --
Graphics Software Designer                /         Alias
Strategic Research                       /  \       Research
psantan@alias.com                       /    \_     Inc.