[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] 520 ST power supply

jcksnsr@nmt.edu (JC) (04/30/91)

   Well, well, I was just typing along on my 520 ST this morning when
crash, boom, incloud of noxious smoke my power supply fried.

   Upon opening it I find two of the four rectifier diodes have gone to
silicon heaven.  Simply, a quick trip to Radio Shack and a little work
with a soldering iron and the diodes are replaced.

   No luck, I then find out that the primary coil of the transformer is
now open and thus quite useless.  (Mustof been some burn out, too bad the
supply was under the desk where I couldn't see it.)

   So I call around and discover the replacement is $65.00.  About one
sixth the total value of the computer, gack.

   So the question comes down to this, 1) Does anyone know what the specs
on the tranformer are and how it is wired so I can replace it myself (unlike
the diodes the transformer is completely void of useful identifications) and
2) if not anyone know where to get a 520ST power supply cheaply and quickly.

   I really wish I knew what happened, I'm assuming a surge since the
computer is apparently unharmed and the fuse in the power supply is intact.
But, if it was a surge, there was nothing happening today and it went
through two surge protectors in the process.

JEff

kingdon@pogo.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Jim Kingdon) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr30.021744.1728@nmt.edu> jcksnsr@nmt.edu (JC) writes:
>   So the question comes down to this, 1) Does anyone know what the specs
>on the tranformer are and how it is wired so I can replace it myself (unlike
>the diodes the transformer is completely void of useful identifications) and
>2) if not anyone know where to get a 520ST power supply cheaply and quickly.

... you could always hack a clone power supply (that's what they're
good for, imho =;^) ) and use the ST power cord.  Pinouts for the ST
cable should be on the bottom of the "corpse", and whatever clone supply
you buy should have pinouts on it, or you can use any old voltmeter.
And clone supplies are >VERY< readily available... alas.

|| Jon Pickard || INet: jpickar@caticsuf.csufresno.edu ||   | | |   ||
||=============||======================================||   | | |   ||
||A god?  Nahh.|| Jeanluc Picard@Isca BBS ||smile! Your||  /  |  \  ||
||=============|| Jeanluc@MARS Hotel      ||jaw's wired|| /   |   \ ||
||My opinions do not necessarily represent||shut!      ||ST all the ||
||those of the sites from which i post.   ||   :^#     ||way, bradda||

chuck@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (charles bridgeland) (04/30/91)

jcksnsr@nmt.edu (JC) writes:

>   So I call around and discover the replacement is $65.00.  About one
>sixth the total value of the computer, gack.
look around, you can probably get the power supply for that.  failing that
maybe you can rig a way to use a scrounged pc power supply

>   So the question comes down to this, 1) Does anyone know what the specs
>on the tranformer are and how it is wired so I can replace it myself (unlike
>the diodes the transformer is completely void of useful identifications) and
>2) if not anyone know where to get a 520ST power supply cheaply and quickly.
first guess----110 in, +-12 and +5 out
chuck bridgeland---anarchoRepublican
"one thing about a police state, you can always find the police" l. neil smith
chuck@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu     hire me so I can quit this pit.

vsnyder@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Van Snyder) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr30.021744.1728@nmt.edu> jcksnsr@nmt.edu (JC) writes:

>   Well, well, I was just typing along on my 520 ST this morning when
>crash, boom, incloud of noxious smoke my power supply fried.
>   So I call around and discover the replacement is $65.00.  About one
>sixth the total value of the computer, gack.
>
>   So the question comes down to this, 1) Does anyone know what the specs
>on the tranformer are and how it is wired so I can replace it myself (unlike
>the diodes the transformer is completely void of useful identifications) and
>2) if not anyone know where to get a 520ST power supply cheaply and quickly.

Why not just get a PC power supply?  For example, Keypoint (12130 Mora Drive,
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670, 213/944-3041) has a 150 watt XT supply for $36,
a 200 watt switching AT supply for $43, etc.  That plus a line cord and
the appropriate shape DIN-7, and 12 hour with a soldering gun should put
you back into business.

Lots of folks sell such things.  Look in Byte, PC Mag, PC Week, ...

--
vsnyder@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov
ames!elroy!jato!vsnyder

In article <chuck.672981820@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu> chuck@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (charles bridgeland) writes:
>jcksnsr@nmt.edu (JC) writes:
>>   So the question comes down to this, 1) Does anyone know what the specs
>>on the tranformer are and how it is wired so I can replace it myself (unlike
>>the diodes the transformer is completely void of useful identifications) and
>>2) if not anyone know where to get a 520ST power supply cheaply and quickly.
>first guess----110 in, +-12 and +5 out
>--
>chuck bridgeland---anarchoRepublican
>"one thing about a police state, you can always find the police" l. neil smith
>chuck@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu     hire me so I can quit this pit.

I'd be real surprised to find a transformer with DC outputs %)

--
vsnyder@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov
ames!elroy!jato!vsnyder

clf3678@isc.rit.edu (C.L. Freemesser) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr30.021744.1728@nmt.edu>, jcksnsr@nmt.edu (JC) writes:

[Story about Jeff's cheap Atari power supply blow up deleted]

>    So the question comes down to this, 1) Does anyone know what the specs
> on the tranformer are and how it is wired so I can replace it myself (unlike
> the diodes the transformer is completely void of useful identifications) and
> 2) if not anyone know where to get a 520ST power supply cheaply and quickly.
>
> JEff

Although my original 520ST power supply hasn't failed, I replaced it
with a heavy duty (about 70W) Lambda power supply.  Hooking up a
"generic" power supply isn't hard at all.  The ST uses +12, -12, and
+5VDC, as well as a few grounds.  All "IBM" type supplies, and many
of the "generic" power supplies have these voltages available.  I just
bought the power connector at Radio Shack, grabbed some 6 or 7 conductor
wire I had, and hooked it up.  Works great, and I never have to worry
about not having enough power for future expansions, or whether or not
the supply will last.

Since I use a "generic" floppy drive instead of an Atari drive, I also
power that off of the Lambda supply.  I bought another supply for my
hard drive (70W isn't enough for everything), but two supplies is better
than a floor-full of black bricks.

_____\ Chris Freemesser, RIT Comp.Eng.Tech.      Dimension's End BBS /_____
______\ BITNET: clf3678@ritvax                        (716)436-3078 /______
_______\ Usenet: clf3678@isc.rit.edu             2400 baud/42 megs /_______