[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] ROM sockets in a Mega ST 2

felner@nessie.cs.id.ethz.ch (Tomas Felner) (04/29/91)

I want to upgrade a friend's Mega ST 2 from Blitter TOS to TOS 1.4. I have
never opened a Mega ST myself before, but I know that there are motherboards
for 2 ROM chips and others for 6 ROM chips (as in the old 520s). Last night
I opened his machine and I found 6 28-pin ROM sockets, labelled LO-0 to LO-2
and HI-0 to HI-2. But there are only two ROMs in the sockets labelled LO-0
and HI-0 !?!?  I am confused, but I proceed and put 6 27256 EPROMS with TOS
1.4 in those 6 sockets. I boot, the screen turns white, the floppy light
flashes and the machine reboots and reboots and reboots ...

Questions:

Why are there 6 sockets if the ROMs only need 2? Or do I have both options,
2 and 6 ROM chips? If so, how do I change from one to the other? Is there a
jumper somewhere? I would prefer the 6 chips solution. If I have to stick with
2 chips, which EPROM type do I need?

The revision number of the motherboard is 5.0. The machine is about 2-3
years old.

Tomas Felner
--
Tomas Felner, Quellenstrasse 30, CH-8005 Zurich, Switzerland
  email: felner@nessie.cs.id.ethz.ch, felner@iiic.ethz.ch

ytsuji@wucc.waseda.ac.jp (Y.Tsuji) (04/29/91)

In article <1991Apr29.083447.27132@bernina.ethz.ch>,
felner@nessie.cs.id.ethz.ch (Tomas Felner) writes:
> I want to upgrade a friend's Mega ST2 to TOS 1.4.
(deleted)
> Questions:
>
> Why are there 6 sockets if the ROMs only need 2?
So that 6 new ROMs can be placed.
> Or do I have both options,
Yes, you do.
> 2 and 6 ROM chips? If so, how do I change from one to the other? Is there a
> jumper somewhere?
6 ROMs are 256 stuff while 2 ROMs are 1 megabit stuff. You must 'short'
pin 2 and 12 of U12 (pluck off the IC first and replace a socket so that
future TOS can be fitted in 2 chips.) As for jumpers w2 and w3, replace
the caps the other way.
> I would prefer the 6 chips solution. If I have to stick with
> 2 chips, which EPROM type do I need?
The same type you have had of course.
The Best Electronics of San Jose sell a plug-in board by Wizztronics
that looks after two different sets of ROMs( 2 and 2, 2 and 6, or 6 and 6
chips) for $69.95. It will allow you to switch between to different OSes.
I haven't tried it but I can well imagine it.

fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu (Michael Fischer) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr29.083447.27132@bernina.ethz.ch> felner@nessie.cs.id.ethz.ch (Tomas Felner) writes:
>I want to upgrade a friend's Mega ST 2 from Blitter TOS to TOS 1.4. I have
>never opened a Mega ST myself before, but I know that there are motherboards
>for 2 ROM chips and others for 6 ROM chips (as in the old 520s). Last night
>I opened his machine and I found 6 28-pin ROM sockets, labelled LO-0 to LO-2
>and HI-0 to HI-2. But there are only two ROMs in the sockets labelled LO-0
>and HI-0 !?!?  I am confused, but I proceed and put 6 27256 EPROMS with TOS
>1.4 in those 6 sockets. I boot, the screen turns white, the floppy light
>flashes and the machine reboots and reboots and reboots ...
>
>Questions:
>
>Why are there 6 sockets if the ROMs only need 2? Or do I have both options,
>2 and 6 ROM chips? If so, how do I change from one to the other? Is there a
>jumper somewhere? I would prefer the 6 chips solution. If I have to stick with
>2 chips, which EPROM type do I need?

I found the same thing when I upgraded my Mega-4 to TOS 1.4 -- six
sockets, the old ROM was on two chips and the new on six.
Instructions that came with the new ROM told how to make the
conversion.  It involved removing a soldered-in chip and changing a
jumper.  I had my dealer do the work.  He tried unsoldering the chip
instead of simply clipping the pins and damaged the motherboard in the
process.  He finally patched things up and got it working, but I would
never do it again unless there were absolutely no alternative.

My recommendation: Take back the 6-chip TOS 1.4 ROM set and get the
2-chip set instead.  Then you just plug them in in place of the old
chips.

| Michael Fischer <fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu>  |

fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu (Michael Fischer) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr29.083447.27132@bernina.ethz.ch> felner@nessie.cs.id.ethz.ch (Tomas Felner) writes:
>I want to upgrade a friend's Mega ST 2 from Blitter TOS to TOS 1.4. I have
>never opened a Mega ST myself before, but I know that there are motherboards
>for 2 ROM chips and others for 6 ROM chips (as in the old 520s). Last night
>I opened his machine and I found 6 28-pin ROM sockets, labelled LO-0 to LO-2
>and HI-0 to HI-2. But there are only two ROMs in the sockets labelled LO-0
>and HI-0 !?!?  I am confused, but I proceed and put 6 27256 EPROMS with TOS
>1.4 in those 6 sockets. I boot, the screen turns white, the floppy light
>flashes and the machine reboots and reboots and reboots ...

When I replied to your posting, I didn't notice that you were talking
about "EPROMS with TOS 1.4".  I know that Atari distributed early
copies of TOS 1.4 on EPROMS but later switched to ordinary ROMS.  I do
not know if TOS 1.4 is legally available any more on EPROMS, but if
the EPROMS that you have are not legal copies, then I do not condone
what you are doing.

| Michael Fischer <fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu>  |