[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] DBMan Programming question

swood@vela.acs.oakland.edu ( EVENSONG) (04/25/91)

I am about to delve into the world of DBman and DataBase III+ style programming

I am hoping to be able to do a search of a couple of various feilds in my
database.  I have set up a couple text feilds that are made up of letters
and/or ?'s.  I have a list of questions that I ask of the people that I am
adding to the database, and if they apply I put a letter, if they do not,
I put a question mark (I did this, as that is one of the wildcards they
mentioned)

a finished string might look like       : 'AB?D?F?H??KLM?O???ST??WX?Z'
for what of course would be complete as : 'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ'

I am going to be writing a program then to find the closest match(es)
sort of like a dating service, but not quite.  Anyone have any suggestions
on how to go about this?

swood

--
 ---- Insert favorite .signature here ----	| swood@argo.acs.oakland.edu
						| swood@vela.acs.oakland.edu
Bitnet:		swood@Oakland			| swood@unix.secs.oakland.edu
  UUCP:		...!uunet!umich!{vela, argo, unix, nucleus}!swood

rodent@netcom.COM (Ben Discoe) (05/02/91)

swood@vela.acs.oakland.edu ( EVENSONG) writes:

>I am about to delve into the world of DBman and DataBase III+ style programming

I happen to have written a lot of the code in dBMAN (especially the
Amiga and Atari versions) so I can surely help.

>I am hoping to be able to do a search of a couple of various feilds in my
>database.
>a finished string might look like       : 'AB?D?F?H??KLM?O???ST??WX?Z'
>I am going to be writing a program then to find the closest match(es)

Well the dBMAN (and dBASE) way of doing this would be to write a
UDF (or procedure) that scans two strings, character by character, and sums
up how close they are.  Then you simply scan the database a record at a time
to find the closest record.  Rather simple.

Speaking of dBMAN, I can't release the latest version for the Atari until
there is a compiler that supports the 68030!  (we have only a TT030 for
development)  Mark Williams compiles, but has no debugger (well, it has
a crude monitor that doesn't run on the TT anyway) and recently
decided not to support the Atari at all.  Lattice also compiles, but the
executable won't run with a 68030 and the debugger doesn't support the
030 either.  Lattice (Hisoft, actually) does have a 68030 version - but they
want developers to pay $300 MORE just to BETA-TEST it.  Sheesh!

This (incompatiblity of existing software with the latest hardware)
is kind of sad compared to the Amiga... we use a 4-year old compiler
on our Amiga 3000, which runs perfectly (even the source-level debugger)
and creates trouble-free executables.  I assume this is because the OS
was intended to gracefully scale upwards, unlike the Atari.  Perhaps the
developers just ignored or lacked a set of compatibility guidelines.

>swood

---------------
Ben Discoe, radical ecologist, amigoid, computer scientist.
Like everyone else in San Jose, I only live here 'cuz the job.

optimiza@utrcu1.UUCP (Streng) (05/05/91)

Another question about DBMan: Is it possible to send a NUL byte to a
(serial, MIDI)-port? I have tried this in a number of ways, and it looks
as if DBMan treats all things to be sent to ports as C strings, so the
NUL is seen as a terminating character, and never transmitted.
aTdHvAaNnKcSe,
--
Henk de Leeuw
optimiza@utwente.nl