[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Dfree

Julian F. Reschke <ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET> (04/29/91)

The GEMDOS funtion Dfree() is documented to be void ('GEMDOS Reference
Manual'). In practice, it SEEMS to return useful return codes (like BIOS
error codes).

Now the question: is there an officially approved method to tell wether
the function call was successfull or not?

___________________________ cut here _____________________________________

Julian F. Reschke, Hensenstr. 142, D-4400 Muenster, Phone: ++49 251 861241
fast eMail: ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET,    slow: jr@ms.maus.de (++49 251 77216)
____________________ correct me if I'm wrong _____________________________

carter@cat23.cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) (05/01/91)

I finally got a hold of the new HD utils, what exactly does 4.01 do anyway?

Fix any bugs over 3.01?

--Gregory

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (05/03/91)

ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET (Julian F. Reschke) writes:
>The GEMDOS funtion Dfree() is documented to be void ('GEMDOS Reference
>Manual'). In practice, it SEEMS to return useful return codes (like BIOS
>error codes).

The manual is wrong, in more places than one.  Yes, Dfree() is not void.
Never has been.

neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) (05/06/91)

In article <2924@atari.UUCP> apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
>ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET (Julian F. Reschke) writes:
>>The GEMDOS funtion Dfree() is documented to be void ('GEMDOS Reference
>>Manual'). In practice, it SEEMS to return useful return codes (like BIOS
>>error codes).
>
>The manual is wrong, in more places than one.  Yes, Dfree() is not void.
>Never has been.

When will Atari ever publish a nice clear book detailing the ST hardware
and the TOS operating system? I have the dev kit and it still leaves much
to be desired than a big wad of photocopies. Look at what C=/Am*ga provide
by way of clear references.

I recently suggested to Atari UK that they produce a programmers pack
that would include just such a book and two programming lanuages of the
purchasers choice. Comp Sci students would lap that up.

Actually I think Atari US did say once that they were working on such a book
but what became of it?

>Opinions expressed above do not necessarily	-- Allan Pratt, Atari Corp.
>reflect those of Atari Corp. or anyone else.	  ...ames!atari!apratt

! DISCLAIMER:Unless otherwise stated, the above comments are entirely my own !
! Neil Forsyth                      JANET:  neil@uk.ac.hw.cs                 !
! Dept. of Computer Science         ARPA:   neil@cs.hw.ac.uk                 !
! Heriot-Watt University            UUCP:   ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!neil          !
! Edinburgh, Scotland, UK           "That was never 5 manuals!"              !