[net.ham-radio] Novice question

jhb@zeus.UUCP (John H. Burgess) (02/06/85)

This is (to date) the best (in my opinion) explanation of the antenna-length
question:

I vote for
	(forgot which letter) The antenna is too short.

According to the question, as you decrease the wavelength of the signal
coming from the transmitter and keep the antenna length constant, you come
closer to a proper match.  So the antenna is the correct fraction of a
shorter wavelength than the one corresponding to 3700 KHz, which is to
say that the antenna is too short for 3700 KHz.  It might be right for
(say) 3740 KHz, you don't know whether the null is higher or lower than
3750.

	paul rubin  wa2qyn/6

John Burgess, N7DCQ

karn@petrus.UUCP (02/07/85)

While we're on the subject of test questions, the most memorable one
I've encountered was on my very first (Novice) test in 1971.

The question was to the effect "what precautions should be taken with
high voltage power supplies?". The obviously correct answer was "the
use of bleeder resistors". In the same list, however, was "Double indemnity
life insurance."  Imagine! The FCC with a sense of humor. It really
made my day.

This discussion about what ought to be a trivial (to us hams, anyway)
question brings up an important point. If it becomes obvious that a given
question is ambiguous, how do we go about having it removed from the list?
Can a person who has taken a test appeal such questions?

Phil

jhb@zeus.UUCP (John H. Burgess) (02/11/85)

In article <277@petrus.UUCP> karn@petrus.UUCP writes:

>  .
>  .
>  .
>  .
>
>This discussion about what ought to be a trivial (to us hams, anyway)
>question brings up an important point. If it becomes obvious that a given
>question is ambiguous, how do we go about having it removed from the list?
>Can a person who has taken a test appeal such questions?
>
>Phil

Part of the catch-22 is that the examiner isn't supposed to discuss the test
results with the applicant.  If you remember the one that was ambiguous, you
can probably discuss that question with the examiner.

In the case of the novice test, the test procedures are pretty lax.  All you
need to do is convince the examiner that you know the material; the examiner
may even give an oral exam.  So, if the ambiguous question is the one that
caused failure, and you could convince the examiner that you know the material
covered by that question, he can give you credit and pass you.

In the case of the tech to extra, the VE team has no leeway to give credit for
missed questions.  As a VE, I, at least, would be willing to discuss a specific question with an applicant and would forward your complaint to the VEC and FCC.

Of course, the applicant would also want to follow up on it vigorously,
especially if that one question meant the difference between passing and not.
Although the FCC and, possibly the VEC, might be able to waive a particular
question, the 30-day waiting period would probably lapse sooner and you could
re-take the test!

Also, ANYbody can write to the FCC at ANY time about ANY of the questions, or
even propose new ones.  The question pool is constantly being updated.

John Burgess, N7DCQ