[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] PC Keyboards on 520ST

jcksnsr@nmt.edu (JC) (05/05/91)

   In solution to my power supply "problem" I've decided to finally mount
the 520 ST motherboard in a PC case with power supply... I can work out most
of the details, but have one question...

   Does anyone know of a product that will let me connect an IBM keyboard to
my 520 ST??

JEff

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (05/06/91)

In article <1991May5.021400.2886@nmt.edu> jcksnsr@nmt.edu (JC) writes:

>   In solution to my power supply "problem" I've decided to finally mount
>the 520 ST motherboard in a PC case with power supply... I can work out most
>of the details, but have one question...
>
>   Does anyone know of a product that will let me connect an IBM keyboard to
>my 520 ST??

There are three: Z-Keys from Zubair, KX which used to be from Diverse Data
Systems, but someone else picked it up I think, and finally DEKA from
Wuztek.

Now, I suppose you want addresses and phone numbers! :^)

Wuztek
1 Technology Drive
Building 1E
Suite 301
Irvine CA 92718
TEL: 714-753-9253
FAX: 714-753-9255

Zubair
5243-B Paramount Blvd.
Lakewood, CA 90712
TEL: 213-408-6715
FAX: 213-408-6748

I don't have more info on KX.

--
   |||   Ed Krimen [ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu or al661@cleveland.freenet.edu]
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261

scale@abode.wciu.edu (Luis Outumuro) (05/06/91)

	Hi JC,
		You asked about attaching a PC-type keyboard to your 520ST.
Personally I would recommend using the DEKA from WuzTEK.  It lets you
connect any XT/AT PC keyboard to any ST/STe/TT machines.  It has BarCode
scanner support.  It also has Mouse/Joystick ports.  And most importantly....
it requires NO software!  Just plug it in and it works.
	In case you need the phone number; it is, 714/753-9253.  Bye.......

					Luis

P.S. Nope, I don't work for WuzTEK; I'm just aware of the product.

Luis Mark Outumuro III                |  "Well... you're damned if you do,
Computer Office Products 818/813-1051 |   and you're damned if you don't!"
Infoline                 818/813-1053 |         - Bart Simpson, 1990...

timothyg@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Timothy Gallivan) (05/06/91)

In article <1991May5.021400.2886@nmt.edu>, jcksnsr@nmt.edu (JC) writes:

|>    In solution to my power supply "problem" I've decided to finally mount
|> the 520 ST motherboard in a PC case with power supply... I can work out most
|> of the details, but have one question...
|>
|>    Does anyone know of a product that will let me connect an IBM keyboard to
|> my 520 ST??
|>
|> JEff

I put my 520ST in an IBM AT case. The motherboard, two floppies, a
SCSI board, two keyboards, and a hard drive all run off the same power
supply. Figuring out what to do with the keyboard was the biggest mess
in this deal. The main problem is that, no matter what, you have
to leave the original ST keyboard connected. It has chips on it
that the motherboard needs. BUT, there is probably not enough space
in the case to leave the original keyboard inside. As far as I know,
these are your choices:

1) Connect a long cable to the original ST keyboard. This is simple
to do, but you have to figure out how to make some kind of case for
the keyboard (maybe out of wood). Also, you are stuck with the same
lousy keyboard.

2) Get an IBM keyboard adapter. This way you get a better keyboard,
but you still have to deal with the original ST keyboard. This can
also be expensive. The Z-Keys adaptor was about $100 the last time
I checked. I think there are others now, but I don't know how much
they cost. On top of this, you have to buy an IBM keyboard.

3) There are instructions on the network in a file called 'deckey'
(or something like that) for connecting a DEC LK201 keyboard to
the ST midi or serial ports. A small software driver is included.
The midi port connection requires a small hardware mod to change
the baud rate of the midi port, but the serial connection requires
no modifications. Unfortunately, using the keyboard on the serial
port will exclude the use of a modem, and this is generally
unacceptable. I am not particularly fond of the LK201, but I
think that any DEC compatible keyboard will work, so maybe you
can find one you like. They tend to be more expensive than
IBM keyboards, I got a used one for $100.

I did both 1 and 3. The DEC keyboard is hooked to my midi port,
and the two keyboards function in parallel. The modification is
easy to make for someone with electronics experience, and I had no
trouble. It will take you a bit of time and some patience though.
I added a switch so that I can change back to the original
midi baud rate if required. The software driver is small (~1K) and
very stable. I have never had any conflicts with the software that
I use (but screen savers which look for keyboard input may not see
this keyboard, and thus may kick in when you are typing).

Moving the ST to the IBM case was a bit of a chore, but I am happy
with the result. Most of the effort goes into making the cables
needed to extend all the ST ports to the back of the IBM case.
Parts can be hard to find, but Best Electronics will generally
have anything that you can't find locally. I strongly recommend
doing the move/modifications one step at a time, making sure that
the ST works at each step. Good Luck!

Tim Gallivan
University of Illinois
timothyg@ncsa.uiuc.edu