[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] gnu emacs and TERM

lynbech@daimi.aau.dk (Christian Lynbech) (03/22/91)

In order to get the function-keys to work on my atari under emacs, I have been
experimenting with setting up a vt52.el file so that keypad.el would run. This
may not be the easiest solution, but it is standard to the way emacs handles
terminal specific things.

I managed to get the file together, but I can't emacs to load it automatically.
The problem appear to be that (getenv "TERM") always returns "vt52-emulator",
REGARDLESS of the real value of TERM. I have tried this, both with environ.prg
and under gulam, but no matter what TERM is set to, (getenv "TERM") still
returns "vt52-emulator". All the other environment variables works fine however.

Why is this? My suspicion is that it has something to do with a termcap hack.
My version (which I think comes from atari.archive, at least the st hacks bears
Bammi's name) doesn't need the termcap, so perhaps something has been hardcoded
into my emacs.

Christian Lynbech

DAIMI
University of Aarhus
DK-Denmark

email: lynbech@daimi.aau.dk

--
Christian Lynbech

DAIMI
University of Aarhus

lynbech@daimi.aau.dk (Christian Lynbech) (05/06/91)

[...]

into emacs.

Christian Lynbech

DAIMI
University of Aarhus
DK-Denmark

email: lynbech@daimi.aau.dk

teege@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Gunnar Teege) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May5.171657.6543@daimi.aau.dk> lynbech@daimi.aau.dk (Christian Lynbech) writes:

>In order to get the function-keys to work on my atari under emacs, I have been
>experimenting with setting up a vt52.el file so that keypad.el would run. This

I don't quite see your problem. I use emacs 18.55 for ST by E. Roeder
that came in comp.binaries.atari.st (the second distribution I think).
It includes the file atari.el that makes keypad.el work for the ST. It
simply maps a lot of key sequences of the type ESC # <some ascii> to
the sequences used by keypad. I think the conversion from raw keycodes
to ESC # <?> is done by emacs itself (?).

It simply works! atari.el and keypad.el are loaded by the init-file
for temacs that came with the distribution. I'm sure about that,
because when I made xemacs I didn't know anything of keypad.el or
atari.el ...

BTW: mouse-support works too.

Gunnar Teege   Inst. fuer Informatik, Technische Universitaet Muenchen
               PO-Box 202420, 8000 Muenchen 2, Germany
teege@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de        +49 89 2105 8179
teege%lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de@{unido.uucp,relay.cs.net,unido.bitnet}