[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Monitors

smiller@bcarh166.bnr.ca (Scott Miller) (05/09/91)

I have an SM124 (which has performed flawlessly since 1985) and I was
considering getting an Atari colour monitor.  Then I decided to get a
multisync, so I could use it on other computers.  I had thought that I
would have to keep my SM124 for monochrome, because of the 70HZ refresh,
but I recently heard that some multisyncs can do the higher rate.

Who has done this?  Does it work well for both mono and colour?  And what
multisyncs can handle 70Hz?
Scott Miller, in the bowels of Bell-Northern Research    Voice:(613) 763-2992
                               P.O. Box 3511, Station C
.signature USES DISCLAIMER;    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1Y 4H7

vsnyder@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Van Snyder) (05/09/91)

In article <4477@bnr-rsc.UUCP> smiller@bcarh166.bnr.ca (Scott Miller) writes:
>I have an SM124 (which has performed flawlessly since 1985) and I was
>considering getting an Atari colour monitor.  Then I decided to get a
>multisync, so I could use it on other computers.  I had thought that I
>would have to keep my SM124 for monochrome, because of the 70HZ refresh,
>but I recently heard that some multisyncs can do the higher rate.
>
>Who has done this?  Does it work well for both mono and colour?  And what
>multisyncs can handle 70Hz?
>--
>Scott Miller, in the bowels of Bell-Northern Research    Voice:(613) 763-2992
>                               P.O. Box 3511, Station C
>.signature USES DISCLAIMER;    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1Y 4H7

I've connected a NEC Multisync II to my ST.  I've tried monochrome in its
monochrome mode (forgot how), and by putting the mono signal simultaneously
to the R, G and B signals.  The NEC monochrome mode is VERY grainy.  Putting
the mono signal onto RG&B simultaneously has good resolution, but the screen
image is only about 1/3 of the screen height.  Keep your SM124.

--
vsnyder@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov
ames!elroy!jato!vsnyder

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (05/09/91)

In article <4477@bnr-rsc.UUCP> smiller@bcarh166.bnr.ca (Scott Miller) writes:
>I have an SM124 (which has performed flawlessly since 1985) and I was
>considering getting an Atari colour monitor.  Then I decided to get a
>multisync, so I could use it on other computers.  I had thought that I
>would have to keep my SM124 for monochrome, because of the 70HZ refresh,
>but I recently heard that some multisyncs can do the higher rate.
>
>Who has done this?  Does it work well for both mono and colour?  And what
>multisyncs can handle 70Hz?

There have been a number of people asking about connecting multisyncs
to an ST.  It seems to be contagious. :^)

In that case, there is a collection of text files about connecting a
multisync monitor to an ST in the multsync.lzh file in the atari/graphics/
directory at atari.archive.umich.edu.

I have an NEC 3D connected to an STe.  I'm using an IB Computers Switchbox;
they import the switchbox from Europe.  I've tried the Omniswitch from
Talon Computers and it just plain sucks -- avoid it.  The NEC 3D and IB
switchbox works great!  No complaints.

A friend of mine has a Mistubishi Diamondscan connected to his STe.  He
says that his monochrome isn't as clear.

I've heard good things about the Sony 1302 monitor.

Justin Dubois has ordered a Loop monitor to connect to his ST.  He says
he should have it in a few days.  We'll see what happens. :^)

--
   |||   Ed Krimen [ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu or al661@cleveland.freenet.edu]
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261

esj@harvee.UUCP (Eric S Johansson) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May09.012329.22083@ecst.csuchico.edu> ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu
(Ed Krimen) writes:
[ a bunch of stuff about multisync moniters ]

since people have been talking about moniters, I wonder if there is
a ready source of those 13 pin din connectors that atari uses for
moniter connectors?

--- eric
^^^     eric johansson   UUCP ...!uunet!wang!harvee!esj esj@harvee.uucp
* *     a juggling fool  AT&T (617) 577-4068 (w)
 o                       HAM  ka1eec
\_/			 CSNET johansson%hydra@polaroid.com
			 or      hydra!johansson@polaroid.com
	source of the public's fear of the unknown since 1956

dmb@wam.umd.edu (David M. Baggett) (05/12/91)

In article <1251125@harvee.UUCP> esj@harvee.UUCP (Eric S Johansson) writes:
>since people have been talking about moniters, I wonder if there is
>a ready source of those 13 pin din connectors that atari uses for
>moniter connectors?

As strange as it may seem, Roland provides exactly the same cables to
connect their GK-2 Guitar Synthesizer pickup to their GR-50 Guitar
Synthesizer.  I'm sure you can get "replacements" from a Roland
Dealer.  The Roland cables are a bit longer, too.

Dave Baggett
dmb%wam.umd.edu@uunet.uu.net