[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Ste fix for 2.5 meg upgrade?

pdel@ADS.COM (Peter Delevoryas) (04/19/91)

I just upgraded my STe to 2.5 megs like it says to do in the March '91
issue of Atari interface.
I put the 1 meg simms in slots 1 & 3 (from back to front) and the other
2 256k'ers in slots 2 & 4.
However, a memory checker says I have 4 meg. they said this would happen,
so go get a program called simmfix.arc that's s'posed to fix this.

Well, I looked on compuserve and Delphi and didn't find anything. I also
looked on atari.archive but don't know if the file is called something
else.

Anyone have any clues or fixes for this?

thanks, Peter D.

--

 login name:   L1-A
 In real life: Peter Delevoryas

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (04/19/91)

In article <-P6&-`$@ads.com> pdel@ADS.COM (Peter Delevoryas) writes:
>I just upgraded my STe to 2.5 megs like it says to do in the March '91
>issue of Atari interface.
>I put the 1 meg simms in slots 1 & 3 (from back to front) and the other
>2 256k'ers in slots 2 & 4.
>However, a memory checker says I have 4 meg. they said this would happen,
>so go get a program called simmfix.arc that's s'posed to fix this.

I tried SIMMFIX a few months ago, and it worked fine, when it did.  The
program is 248 BYTES long, and the computer wouldn't always recognize it
as a program.  I would sometimes get a TOS Error #35.

The solution to this problem is to either go with two megs or go with four.
BTW, SIMM prices seem to be on the rise.  I bought two 1megx8 80ns in Jan
for around $85.  I bought two more this past week for around $97.

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

pdel@ADS.COM (Peter Delevoryas) (04/19/91)

>I tried SIMMFIX a few months ago, and it worked fine, when it did.

Where did you get simmfix?

>BTW, SIMM prices seem to be on the rise.

I know, I think I'll get two more before they go up. $42 at Peripheral
Outlet (80ns), but after COD and shipping, 2 of 'em = $97
--

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (05/14/91)

In article   writes:

>I just upgraded my STe to 2.5 megs like it says to do in the March '91
>issue of Atari interface.
>I put the 1 meg simms in slots 1 & 3 (from back to front) and the other
>2 256k'ers in slots 2 & 4.
>However, a memory checker says I have 4 meg. they said this would happen,
>so go get a program called simmfix.arc that's s'posed to fix this.
>
>Well, I looked on compuserve and Delphi and didn't find anything. I also
>looked on atari.archive but don't know if the file is called something
>else.
>
>Anyone have any clues or fixes for this?

It's at atari.archive, like PATCH302 (the NeoDesk patch) was.  I don't know
where Jeff Weiner put it.  Jeff? :^)

I tried using SIMMFIX, but the computer would rarely recognize it when
it would run.  I would get a TOS ERROR 35 when run from the desktop, or
nothing when it was run from the AUTO folder.  Therefore, I was using
2megs until I upgraded to 4 recently.  The executable file is only
248 BYTES long, but I don't think that would be a basis for it not
running.  Another disadvantage with the program is that it requires a
warmboot to reconfigure the memory.

--
   |||   Ed Krimen [ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu or al661@cleveland.freenet.edu]
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261
         TWO WEEKS UNTIL GRADUATION!!