[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] WANTED ALIVE: MISSING HD PARTITION!

jensend1@yvax.byu.edu (05/13/91)

I left my Atari ST running while I was gone for about an hour - it was supposed
to finish moving about 400 files from one partition of the hard drive to
another while I was gone.  I was using the Universal Item Selector for the
operation.  When I came back, everything seemed okay, but when I later tried to
access a different partition, it had disappeared from the list of available
drives in the item selector!  Now when I try to open the drive D: partition
from the desktop, it says the partition does not exist...
        Here's the quirk - I have AT Speed installed, and it reads the D:
partition just fine.  All the files are there, it can read the directory, et
cetera.  Only the ST has any problem.  Even worse, I'm using HotWire as a
shell for the ST, and it can still run programs from the D: partition.  I just
can't do any file manipulation on it.
        I'm about ready to reformat the drive and start over.  Before I do
that, does anyone know what the problem is?  Can it be fixed without
reformatting?  I'm not looking forward to formatting a whole bunch of floppies
to 720K just so I can back up the D: partition with a PC backup program.  Your
ideas would be helpful.

Thanks!

David Jensen
Jensend1@byuvax.byu.edu

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (05/14/91)

In article <2309jensend1@yvax.byu.edu> jensend1@yvax.byu.edu writes:
>        Here's the quirk - I have AT Speed installed, and it reads the D:
>partition just fine.  All the files are there, it can read the directory, et
>cetera.  Only the ST has any problem.  Even worse, I'm using HotWire as a
>shell for the ST, and it can still run programs from the D: partition.  I just
>can't do any file manipulation on it.
>        I'm about ready to reformat the drive and start over.  Before I do

Don't reformat the drive.  As long as HotWire can still run the programs on
Drive D:, it seems everything should be intact.

This may sound like a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway. :^)  Have
you tried manipulating (copying, etc.) files with the desktop, or
another file manipulation program?  I use UIS III as well, and I don't
understand the problem it would have with Drive D:.

BTW, what do you see in UIS's drive listing? A,B,C,E,F, etc?

--
   |||   Ed Krimen [ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu or al661@cleveland.freenet.edu]
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261
         TWO WEEKS UNTIL GRADUATION!!