[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Postscript from Calamus

jan@cs.umu.se (Jan T}ngring) (05/24/91)

There is a DTP-program called Calamus. It doesn't generate
postscript code.

Questions:
	What does it generate?
	Are there any public domain to-postscript-converters available?
  _____________ ________________
 /            //               /\email:jan@cs.umu.se
/____________//_______________/ /
\________    \\_____     _____\/ mail:Jan Tangring
  /____/ \    \  /  \    \   \        Mariehemsvagen 15E-409
  \    \/_\    \/    \    \  /        S-902 36 UMEA
   \___________/      \____\/         Sweden

steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) (05/25/91)

[In article <1991May24.122945.11592@cs.umu.se>,
     jan@cs.umu.se (Jan T}ngring) writes ... ]

 > There is a DTP-program called Calamus. It doesn't generate
 > postscript code.
 >
 > Questions:
 > 	What does it generate?

Bitmaps in any of several formats, depending on the printer driver.

Calamus uses a proprietary font-scaling technology (actually, I think
it's licensed from Agfa Compugraphic) and generates its own bit images
for both screen and printer output. Because its font technology is both
very good and very fast, you get a high degree of correspondence between
what you see and what you get, and you get it quickly with a bit-image
printer such as the Atari SLM804 or SLM605.

 > 	Are there any public domain to-postscript-converters available?

None that I am aware of.

If the only printer you have available is PostScript, then Calamus is
not the right tool. PageStream is probably what you need.

PageStream 1.8 has its own font-scaling technology that is markedly
inferior to that of Calamus, but it also has PostScript output drivers for
monochrome and color printers that call upon the PostScript interpreter to
supply fonts when possible. That means PageStream is slower than Calamus
and has less correspondence between the screen image and the output image,
but it also means you can get excellent type quality and, or course,
portability.

PageStream 2 is supposed to be able to use PostScript fonts to generate
its screen images, but I don't know whether it is available yet.

 ----
 Steve Yelvington, Marine on St. Croix, Minnesota, USA / steve@thelake.mn.org

Roger.Sheppard@actrix.gen.nz (Roger Sheppard) (05/25/91)

In article <1991May24.122945.11592@cs.umu.se> jan@cs.umu.se (Jan T}ngring) writes:
> There is a DTP-program called Calamus. It doesn't generate
> postscript code.
>
> Questions:
> 	What does it generate?
> 	Are there any public domain to-postscript-converters available?
>   _____________ ________________
>  /            //               /\email:jan@cs.umu.se
> /____________//_______________/ /
> \________    \\_____     _____\/ mail:Jan Tangring
>   /____/ \    \  /  \    \   \        Mariehemsvagen 15E-409
>   \    \/_\    \/    \    \  /        S-902 36 UMEA
>    \___________/      \____\/         Sweden

Well I have seen a Converter that was bundled with Outline Art, I
don't think that its PD,
But your Calamus Distributor should be able to get it.

--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...

In article <A1750865592@thelake.mn.org> steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) writes:
> [In article <1991May24.122945.11592@cs.umu.se>,
>      jan@cs.umu.se (Jan T}ngring) writes ... ]
>
>  > There is a DTP-program called Calamus. It doesn't generate
>  > postscript code.
>  >
> very good and very fast, you get a high degree of correspondence between
> what you see and what you get, and you get it quickly with a bit-image
> printer such as the Atari SLM804 or SLM605.
>
>  > 	Are there any public domain to-postscript-converters available?
>
> None that I am aware of.
>
> If the only printer you have available is PostScript, then Calamus is
> not the right tool. PageStream is probably what you need.

No.! They have a program called CONVRT2X.TOS.

> inferior to that of Calamus, but it also has PostScript output drivers for
> monochrome and color printers that call upon the PostScript interpreter to
> supply fonts when possible. That means PageStream is slower than Calamus
> and has less correspondence between the screen image and the output image,
> but it also means you can get excellent type quality and, or course,
> portability.
>
> PageStream 2 is supposed to be able to use PostScript fonts to generate
> its screen images, but I don't know whether it is available yet.
>
>  ----
>  Steve Yelvington, Marine on St. Croix, Minnesota, USA / steve@thelake.mn.org

The software package called Outline Art, has a converter included with it.
may be all that is needed is for him to get his Calamus version updated..
--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...

kimmo@field.fi (Kimmo Lahtinen) (05/26/91)

jan@cs.umu.se (Jan T}ngring) writes:

>There is a DTP-program called Calamus. It doesn't generate
>postscript code.

>Questions:
>	What does it generate?
>	Are there any public domain to-postscript-converters available?
>  _____________ ________________
> /            //               /\email:jan@cs.umu.se
>/____________//_______________/ /
>\________    \\_____     _____\/ mail:Jan Tangring
>  /____/ \    \  /  \    \   \        Mariehemsvagen 15E-409
>  \    \/_\    \/    \    \  /        S-902 36 UMEA

Calamus drives directly the printer, and it prints in graphics mode. So
I think it is impossible to use it with a postscipt printer. But if
you are looking for something with posttscript output, new PageStream might
be something. I have not even seen it, but I just read from it on
Atari ST User, so it is available in UK.

--
Kimmo Lahtinen                            E-Mail : kimmo@field.fi or
Finnish Meteorological Institute                   lahtinen@pouta.fmi.fi