[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Second HD mechanism

cscullio@ncratl.AtlantaGA.NCR.COM (Chris Scullion) (05/27/91)

I've just added a second Seagate mechanism to my BMS 100 host adapter.  The
BMS software can format it and recognize it just fine, but I've been using
Atari's HDX 3.01 to provide auto-booting (and formatting) of the original
mechanism.  HDX 3.01 doesn't want to recognize the second drive (partitions E:
and F:).  The BMS (Berkeley Microsystems) software does not provide an
auto-boot feature, and I'd rather not go back to floppy-booting of the hard
drive.

Any suggestions as to how I get HDX 3.01 to access the second mechanism?
--
Chris Scullion   | NCR Corporation 2651 Satellite Blvd., Duluth, GA 30136 |
| (404)623-7352  | VoicePlus 751-7352 | cscullio@ncratl.AtlantaGA.NCR.COM |

Roger.Sheppard@actrix.gen.nz (Roger Sheppard) (05/27/91)

In article <19111@ncratl.AtlantaGA.NCR.COM> cscullio@ncratl.AtlantaGA.NCR.COM (Chris Scullion) writes:
> I've just added a second Seagate mechanism to my BMS 100 host adapter.  The
> BMS software can format it and recognize it just fine, but I've been using
> Atari's HDX 3.01 to provide auto-booting (and formatting) of the original
> mechanism.  HDX 3.01 doesn't want to recognize the second drive (partitions E:
> and F:).  The BMS (Berkeley Microsystems) software does not provide an
> auto-boot feature, and I'd rather not go back to floppy-booting of the hard
> drive.
>
> Any suggestions as to how I get HDX 3.01 to access the second mechanism?
> --
> Chris Scullion   | NCR Corporation 2651 Satellite Blvd., Duluth, GA 30136 |
> | (404)623-7352  | VoicePlus 751-7352 | cscullio@ncratl.AtlantaGA.NCR.COM |

The HDX 3.01 does not support a second drive (lun 1), you would be
better in changing to a ICD host adapter and ICD software.
--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...

csbrod@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod) (05/27/91)

cscullio@ncratl.AtlantaGA.NCR.COM (Chris Scullion) writes:

>Any suggestions as to how I get HDX 3.01 to access the second mechanism?

The only way is to patch the driver. To be exact: You have to add some
code, so the patch won't be that easy... there are other drivers that
will recognize the second drive (reportedly the ICD driver and CBHD).

Claus Brod, Am Felsenkeller 2,			Things. Take. Time.
D-8772 Marktheidenfeld, Germany		 	(Piet Hein)
csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Claus Brod@wue.maus.de