[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] monitor break down

ytsuji@wucc.waseda.ac.jp (Y.Tsuji) (06/02/91)

I have just thought of an important preventive measure to cope with
the monitor break down that is very likely to happen to us all very
soon.
  Make a diskette with an auto-start program that prints
     "Your monitor alone has broken down\n"
     "Do you hear me?\n"
  to the printer and then prints
     "\07\07\07"
  to the console.

I thought this simple idea was too good to be kept private.

aj_taylo@sol.brispoly.ac.uk (taylor) (06/06/91)

In article <5776@wucc.waseda.ac.jp> ytsuji@wucc.waseda.ac.jp (Y.Tsuji) writes:

   I have just thought of an important preventive measure to cope with
   the monitor break down that is very likely to happen to us all very
   soon.
     Make a diskette with an auto-start program that prints
	"Your monitor alone has broken down\n"
	"Do you hear me?\n"
     to the printer and then prints
	"\07\07\07"
     to the console.

   I thought this simple idea was too good to be kept private.

But the sound of the bell comes out of the monitor, so it won't work
if your printer is off and the monitor is completely dead. Otherwise a
good idea.

--
   Andy Taylor, Bristol Polytechnic, UK

 "... and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
 'cos there's bugger all down here on Earth."
                                            Monty Python's Meaning Of Life
E&OE

ytsuji@wucc.waseda.ac.jp (Y.Tsuji) (06/06/91)

In article <AJ_TAYLO.91Jun5202226@sol.brispoly.ac.uk>, aj_taylo@sol.brispoly.ac.uk (taylor) writes:
#    I have just thought of an important preventive measure to cope with
#    the monitor break down that is very likely to happen to us all very
#    soon.
#      Make a diskette with an auto-start program that prints
# 	"Your monitor alone has broken down\n"
# 	"Do you hear me?\n"
#      to the printer and then prints
# 	"\07\07\07"
#      to the console.
#
#
#    I thought this simple idea was too good to be kept private.
#
> But the sound of the bell comes out of the monitor, so it won't work
> if your printer is off and the monitor is completely dead. Otherwise a
> good idea.

> --
>    Andy Taylor, Bristol Polytechnic, UK
I thought everyone on this net are clever enough what to do if the
printer was off and the monitor was completely dead. Yes, MIDI OUT port
can be used.
People say when their monitor breaks down, either the picture will be
distorted or the picture won't come at all. Gathering from what I have
heard, the power supply and logic board die earlier than the Cathode Ray
Tube, so the sound won't come out in this case. The printers are normally
very robust (having lived in Enland long, I know that is not the case there),
so if the printers do not run it is the CPU that would be suspected, not
the monitor.
Tsuji