[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] lharc

swood@vela.acs.oakland.edu ( EVENSONG) (05/31/91)

I just pulled a couple of versions of lharc off of the archive at umich,
but I have been having a hard time getting it to work on all files.  I
keep either running into CRC errors, or I just get "no file" when I try
to extract an archive that I have downloaded.  I have run into this
with files that have been created on the systems here at OU as well as
from abroad.

What is the best version of lharc, and where can I find it?  And what may
be causing these things to have such a hard time?

swood

--
 ---- Insert favorite .signature here ----	| swood@argo.acs.oakland.edu
						| swood@vela.acs.oakland.edu
Bitnet:		swood@Oakland			| swood@unix.secs.oakland.edu
  UUCP:		...!uunet!umich!{vela, argo, unix, nucleus}!swood

rjast1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Robert J Anisko) (05/31/91)

In article <6652@vela.acs.oakland.edu> swood@vela.acs.oakland.edu ( EVENSONG) writes:
>I just pulled a couple of versions of lharc off of the archive at umich,
>but I have been having a hard time getting it to work on all files.  I
>keep either running into CRC errors, or I just get "no file" when I try
>to extract an archive that I have downloaded.  I have run into this
>with files that have been created on the systems here at OU as well as
>from abroad.
>
>What is the best version of lharc, and where can I find it?  And what may
>be causing these things to have such a hard time?
>
>swood

  That's happening because there is an unfortunate "double-standard"
(forgive the pun) with LHARC - i.e. two standards exist.  My best advice
is for you to get LHARC060 (Jon Webb & Bart Van Herk) and
LZH11319 (Haruyashu Yoshizaki) - if one doesn't work I can about 99%
guarantee you the other one will (I've run into the same problem
before).  You can find both files at atari.archive.umich.edu in
the /atari/archivers directory.  And I'd recommend getting ARCSHL25 as
well - it lets you set up a Main and Secondary choices for the LZH (as
well as ARC) programs - that way you could switch between them rather
easily.

  Maybe one of these guys will come up with a version that handles
BOTH standards (A "dual" standard program)...

					Robert Anisko
					rjast1@cis.unix.pitt.edu

hunt@jjmhome.UUCP (Tad J. Hunt) (06/01/91)

I find that the newer versions of lharc don't seem to be compatable with the
unix lharc...   the version I use is very slow, its like v1.1 or something like
that (i think it says its based on v1.13c or something) anyways, try an old one
it will probablly work for you (and be horribly slow, but thats another story)
Tad

spit@fys.ruu.nl (Werenfried Spit) (06/01/91)

In <10353@jjmhome.UUCP> hunt@jjmhome.UUCP (Tad J. Hunt) writes:

>I find that the newer versions of lharc don't seem to be compatable with the
>unix lharc...   the version I use is very slow, its like v1.1 or something lik

I use lharc1.02 by Yoshizaki on the ST. It is able to use
unix-lharc files but for one thing: the file-date gets lost.
Does someone know a solution??

Werenfried Spit

   R.J. v.d. Graafflaboratorium            030--53-2330
   Postbus 80.000
   3508 TA  Utrecht                        W.Spit@fys.ruu.nl

Roger.Sheppard@actrix.gen.nz (Roger Sheppard) (06/01/91)

In article <134309@unix.cis.pitt.edu> rjast1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Robert J Anisko) writes:
> In article <6652@vela.acs.oakland.edu> swood@vela.acs.oakland.edu ( EVENSONG) writes:
> >I just pulled a couple of versions of lharc off of the archive at umich,
> >but I have been having a hard time getting it to work on all files.  I
> >keep either running into CRC errors, or I just get "no file" when I try
> >to extract an archive that I have downloaded.  I have run into this
> >with files that have been created on the systems here at OU as well as
> >from abroad.
> >
> >What is the best version of lharc, and where can I find it?  And what may
> >be causing these things to have such a hard time?
> >
> >swood
>
>   That's happening because there is an unfortunate "double-standard"
> (forgive the pun) with LHARC - i.e. two standards exist.  My best advice
> is for you to get LHARC060 (Jon Webb & Bart Van Herk) and
> LZH11319 (Haruyashu Yoshizaki) - if one doesn't work I can about 99%
> guarantee you the other one will (I've run into the same problem
> before).  You can find both files at atari.archive.umich.edu in
> the /atari/archivers directory.  And I'd recommend getting ARCSHL25 as
> well - it lets you set up a Main and Secondary choices for the LZH (as
> well as ARC) programs - that way you could switch between them rather
> easily.
>
>   Maybe one of these guys will come up with a version that handles
> BOTH standards (A "dual" standard program)...
>
> 					Robert Anisko
> 					rjast1@cis.unix.pitt.edu

Well you could be able to help me.
  I am unable to get Arcshl25 to work with LZH11318,
this is the latest one that I have, but the Problem is with Folders/Paths,
there is a option with arcshl25 for LZH11316,
but so far it does nothing, the arcshell still sends a 'z' parameter for
the directory option.

So far I am unable to LZH Files with Folders/Paths, with this combination
also there seems to be a limite with LZH of only 2 folders deep,
is this correct ?

Also I don't think there is a Directory/Folder Option with LHAR060.

--
***  Roger W. Sheppard        *    Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz  ***
***  85 Donovan Rd          *  *   At least I don't Flicker, not     ***

baffoni@aludra.usc.edu (Juxtaposer) (06/02/91)

In article <6652@vela.acs.oakland.edu> swood@vela.acs.oakland.edu ( EVENSONG) writes:
>I just pulled a couple of versions of lharc off of the archive at umich,
>but I have been having a hard time getting it to work on all files.  I
>keep either running into CRC errors, or I just get "no file" when I try
>to extract an archive that I have downloaded.  I have run into this

	I tried using a shell (arcshell2.5) but gave up because anytime you
specified more than just "extract" or "list", it would get lharc confused and
it would think you were looking for "xs.lzh" instead of using it as the command
which allows "extract" and "hold screen".  I gave up using the shell and now
use lharc from the ttp command line.  If you are using a shell, try removing
the "extras" that you can do with it and just have it "extract".  It might
clear up the problem.  Or if you want to use the command line, just look in
the docs that should come with the lharc - it should have the commands in an
English (and German) doc.  If you want, "x <filename>" should unarc just fine
from the command line (clicking on the ttp file).

>What is the best version of lharc, and where can I find it?  And what may
>be causing these things to have such a hard time?

I think the latest lharc out is lzh11319.lzh (that's funny - it's lharced!)
and it's up on atari.archive.  BTW, what was/is the difference between lzh11316
and lzh11319?  I can't read German or I might have gotten it from the docs...

>swood
>
>--
> ---- Insert favorite .signature here ----	| swood@argo.acs.oakland.edu
>						| swood@vela.acs.oakland.edu
>Bitnet:		swood@Oakland			| swood@unix.secs.oakland.edu
>  UUCP:		...!uunet!umich!{vela, argo, unix, nucleus}!swood

-Mike

Roger.Sheppard@actrix.gen.nz (Roger Sheppard) (06/03/91)

In article <17637@chaph.usc.edu> baffoni@aludra.usc.edu (Juxtaposer) writes:
> In article <6652@vela.acs.oakland.edu> swood@vela.acs.oakland.edu ( EVENSONG) writes:
> >I just pulled a couple of versions of lharc off of the archive at umich,
> >but I have been having a hard time getting it to work on all files.  I
> >keep either running into CRC errors, or I just get "no file" when I try
> >to extract an archive that I have downloaded.  I have run into this
>
> 	I tried using a shell (arcshell2.5) but gave up because anytime you
> specified more than just "extract" or "list", it would get lharc confused and
> it would think you were looking for "xs.lzh" instead of using it as the command
> which allows "extract" and "hold screen".  I gave up using the shell and now
> use lharc from the ttp command line.  If you are using a shell, try removing
> the "extras" that you can do with it and just have it "extract".  It might
> clear up the problem.  Or if you want to use the command line, just look in
> the docs that should come with the lharc - it should have the commands in an
> English (and German) doc.  If you want, "x <filename>" should unarc just fine
> from the command line (clicking on the ttp file).
>

> >What is the best version of lharc, and where can I find it?  And what may
> >be causing these things to have such a hard time?
>
> I think the latest lharc out is lzh11319.lzh (that's funny - it's lharced!)
> and it's up on atari.archive.  BTW, what was/is the difference between lzh11316
> and lzh11319?  I can't read German or I might have gotten it from the docs...
>

> >swood
> >
> >--
> > ---- Insert favorite .signature here ----	| swood@argo.acs.oakland.edu
> >						| swood@vela.acs.oakland.edu
> >Bitnet:		swood@Oakland			| swood@unix.secs.oakland.edu
> >  UUCP:		...!uunet!umich!{vela, argo, unix, nucleus}!swood
>
> -Mike

Note; you can Program Arcshell 2.5 to send any strings you like,
when selecting the Extract etc, hold down thw Alt key, this will give
you a option box you can put in the string that you wan't, the next
time you use it, just hold the Alt Key down to give you that Option,
problem is the Programble options are not saved..
also Arcshell 2.5 has a option for lzh11316 , but does not do a thing,
as it still send a 'z' for the directory option..

--

bjsjr@NCoast.ORG (Bill Shroka) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun1.130117.17823@fys.ruu.nl> spit@fys.ruu.nl (Werenfried Spit) writes:

>I use lharc1.02 by Yoshizaki on the ST. It is able to use
>unix-lharc files but for one thing: the file-date gets lost.
>Does someone know a solution??

Get Xlharc 1.20.  That is the latest version of LHarc 1.02.  It fixes the
file-date problem and speeds up the compression.  It passed through
comp.binaries.atari.st quite sometime ago.

Bill Shroka
bjsjr@NCoast.ORG
ncoast!bjsjr@usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu

david10@garfield.cs.mun.ca (David Churchill) (06/10/91)

In article <1991Jun03.153441.13140@actrix.gen.nz> Roger.Sheppard@actrix.gen.nz (Roger Sheppard) writes:
>In article <17637@chaph.usc.edu> baffoni@aludra.usc.edu (Juxtaposer) writes:
>> In article <6652@vela.acs.oakland.edu> swood@vela.acs.oakland.edu ( EVENSONG) writes:

 Talk about lzh113xx and ArcShell 2.5

>Note; you can Program Arcshell 2.5 to send any strings you like,
>when selecting the Extract etc, hold down thw Alt key, this will give
>you a option box you can put in the string that you wan't, the next
>time you use it, just hold the Alt Key down to give you that Option,
>problem is the Programble options are not saved..

I've been able to save them without a problem. Just program the keys, then
"Save Config".

>--
>***  Roger W. Sheppard        *    Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz  ***
>***  85 Donovan Rd          *  *   At least I don't Flicker, not     ***
>***  Kapiti New Zealand..    *     like a dying light globe. !       ***

--
Dave Churchill  DoD #266                    CS Undergrad
david10@garfield.cs.mun.ca                  Memorial University of Newfoundland