[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] ICD micro ST and SH205

oostrom@cs.vu.nl (Vincent van Oostrom) (06/07/91)

I have a Mega ST4 (Tos 1.4 UK) with an internal ICD micro ST host
adapter and (brand new, empty) 80 meg seagate (1096N??) drive set to SCSI
device #0. Now I want to add an SH205 (with data on it in a Mega box)
to this configuration. The device drivers I have are the one from ICD
and some archaic version of atari's device driver.
Is it possible to use these harddisks at the same time?
What software is needed?

(I would prefer a solution in which I don't have to open my
computer to alter the ID of the internal drive.)

Vincent van Oostrom

Roger.Sheppard@actrix.gen.nz (Roger Sheppard) (06/09/91)

In article <10170@star.cs.vu.nl> oostrom@cs.vu.nl (Vincent van Oostrom) writes:
> I have a Mega ST4 (Tos 1.4 UK) with an internal ICD micro ST host
> adapter and (brand new, empty) 80 meg seagate (1096N??) drive set to SCSI
> device #0. Now I want to add an SH205 (with data on it in a Mega box)
> to this configuration. The device drivers I have are the one from ICD
> and some archaic version of atari's device driver.
> Is it possible to use these harddisks at the same time?
> What software is needed?
>
> (I would prefer a solution in which I don't have to open my
> computer to alter the ID of the internal drive.)
>
> Vincent van Oostrom

I don't think you will find that you can daisy chain a drive when
using the ICD micro host adapter, as this adapter has no daisy chain output.

ICD do state that the only way is with some form of parrallel connection
of Ataries acsi standard.
Iam not to sure what they ment by this..
--
***  Roger W. Sheppard        *    Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz  ***
***  85 Donovan Rd          *  *   At least I don't Flicker, not     ***

scale@abode.ttank.com (Luis Outumuro) (06/10/91)

In article <10170@star.cs.vu.nl> oostrom@cs.vu.nl (Vincent van Oostrom) writes:
>I have a Mega ST4 (Tos 1.4 UK) with an internal ICD micro ST host
>adapter and (brand new, empty) 80 meg seagate (1096N??) drive set to SCSI
>device #0. Now I want to add an SH205 (with data on it in a Mega box)
>to this configuration. The device drivers I have are the one from ICD
>and some archaic version of atari's device driver.
>Is it possible to use these harddisks at the same time?
>What software is needed?
>
>(I would prefer a solution in which I don't have to open my
>computer to alter the ID of the internal drive.)
>
>Vincent van Oostrom

	Hi Vincent,
		What you want to do is possible, but I doubt that you will like
the answer.  The ICD Micro adapter (both the AdSCSI Micro and the Advantage@<
Micro) actually change the DMA mode when they are installed; non-ICD host
adapters are not compatible with this new mode for the ICD Micro adapters.  Now
the ICD Advantage and AdSCSI have what is called a "dual-mode DMA"; it supports
and converts between the standard DMA mode common between most Atari and Atari
3rd-party host adapters, and the mode supported by ICD's Micro adapters.  Have
I lost you yet?! =^)
	It really is not as complicated as I make it sound.  You will just have
to put an ICD AdSCSI between the external DMA port (on your Mega), and your
SH205.  The ID number on your internal drive (inside your Mega) can stil
remain the same, you can still use ICD's software.  Good luck and take care,
bye....................

						Luis

mbaker@ucs.adelaide.edu.au (Matthew Baker) (06/10/91)

I'm just dropping in here again in this thread to ask;

PLEASE : can _anyone_ give some idea where I can get hold of ICD/Supra/
Berkley Microsystems/Brand X Hostadapter manufacturer or suppliers who stock
their stuff??

Either here in Oz, or indeed anywhere in the world!

Thanks (I hope)

Matthew

cmedley@wam.umd.edu (Charles Henry Medley) (06/10/91)

I am trying to attach a Mac external SCSI drive (Quantum 105S) to the SCSI
port on the back of my Supra 30MB Atari Hard Disk.  I'm using the 1988
Supra Software and Host Adapter and it doesn't have the format parameters
to handle a Quantum 105S.  Also, when I plug up the disk to the external
SCSI port, the Quantum 105S is online but the system never recognizes its
presence as device 1, LUN:0.  I've swapped the 105 and the 30's mechs and
the 105 functions fine, but it seems that even after removing the SCSI
terminator on the 105, both drives are not working in conjunction.  Does
anyone know if the Supra Host Adapter of that era can handle the Quantum?
Also, if I get an ICD Host Adapter, does that end all of my problems?  And
finally, a friend told me that I should use Atari's HDX Formatter for
my extended partitions because it is the only one supported.  Is there
some incompatibility between Atari's extended partitions, Supra's and ICD's?

scale@abode.ttank.com (Luis Outumuro) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun10.050857.6668@wam.umd.edu> cmedley@wam.umd.edu (Charles Henry Medley) writes:

>I am trying to attach a Mac external SCSI drive (Quantum 105S) to the SCSI
>port on the back of my Supra 30MB Atari Hard Disk.  I'm using the 1988
>Supra Software and Host Adapter and it doesn't have the format parameters
>to handle a Quantum 105S.  Also, when I plug up the disk to the external
>SCSI port, the Quantum 105S is online but the system never recognizes its
>presence as device 1, LUN:0.  I've swapped the 105 and the 30's mechs and
>the 105 functions fine, but it seems that even after removing the SCSI
>terminator on the 105, both drives are not working in conjunction.  Does
>anyone know if the Supra Host Adapter of that era can handle the Quantum?
>Also, if I get an ICD Host Adapter, does that end all of my problems?  And
>finally, a friend told me that I should use Atari's HDX Formatter for
>my extended partitions because it is the only one supported.  Is there
>some incompatibility between Atari's extended partitions, Supra's and ICD's?

	Hi Charles,
		As soon as you can, call Quantam's Technical Support and ask
them for the format parameters for the 105S; and while you have them on the
telephone, ask them to send you a technical reference manual for the 105S
(Supra's software will let you enter the parameters manually if you know
them).  Remove the terminator resistor pack from the first drive in the DMA
chain (the Supra's drive) only; leave the terminator resistor pack in the last
drive of the chain.  Set the Supra as device #0; then the Quantam as device
#1, 2 or 4 or any device # that the Supra software will recognize the
Quantam.  Depending on the mechanism that the Supra is using, you may have to
switch the device numbers around.
	Now about extended partitions under TOS.  As far as I know (and I could
be wrong, somebody please correct me if I am), BGM (or extended TOS) partitions
are the same regardless whether it's Atari's, ICD's or Supra's; at least I have
had no problems with the three (and I use all three of them).  If you do want
to use BGM partitions though, make sure that you are using at least TOS 1.04
(1.4) or higher.  So long as you are going to use Supra's software; I would
also recommend using PinHead and Diamond Cache.  Take care, bye..........

					Luis