[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] keyboard pin-outs wanted.

bd6@vax1.mankato.msus.edu (06/12/91)

   I plan on "extending" my keyboard.  And i don't know if i just missed it or
what.  But i would like to know the pin-outs for the keyboard jack. (that ugly
17 pin thing.)  I would like to know all the pin-outs, so i can also connect my
mouse and whatever else, to the keyboard.  So i need al little as possible
wires from the keyboard to the computer.

   Thanks.
   brian.

   bd6@vax1.mankato.msus.edu

David_Galloway@mindlink.bc.ca (David Galloway) (06/13/91)

Hello. I have a very old, many generations photocopied, schematic
to the 520ST (original model). It includes a pinout of J12 which
is the one that you would like. I also have information from the
back of the MEGA STe book which is the most up to date as far as
the mouse and joystick ports that I could find. I hope there are
no errors and that it helps you....
                                                                .
   JUMPER12                                                     .
   --------                     _  ___                          .
                No connect  18 [ ]    )                         .
                               [ ]     )                        .
   ????    To Pin 5 of Joy1 17 [ ]      )                       .
                               [ ]       )                      .
                      RESET 16 [ ]        )                     .
                               [ ]       )                      .
     Pin 4 on 6850   TxData 15 [ ]      )                       .
                               [ ]     )                        .
     Pin 3 on 6850   RxData 14 [ ]    )                         .
                               [ ]     \   This is Joy0/Mouse   .
                        +5V 13 [ ]     /                        .
                               [ ]    )                         .
                   XB/Up    12 [ ]     )                        .
                               [ ]      )                       .
              Lbutton/Fire  11 [ ]       )                      .
                               [ ]        )                     .
                   XA/Down  10 [ ]       )                      .
                               [ ]      )                       .
                   YA/Left  09 [ ]     )                        .
                               [ ]    )                         .
                   YB/Right 08 [ ] ___                          .
                               [ ]                              .
                      Up    07 [ ] ---\                         .
                               [ ]     \                        .
              Rbutton/Fire  06 [ ]      \                       .
                               [ ]       \                      .
                      Down  05 [ ]        \                     .
                               [ ]         \                    .
                      Left  04 [ ]          this is Joy1        .
                               [ ]         /                    .
                      Right 03 [ ]        /                     .
                               [ ]       /                      .
does not connect?    KEY?AT 02 [ ] This was too fuzzy to read   .
                               [ ]     /                        .
                     Ground 01 [_] ----                         .
                                                                .
                                                                .
                                                                .
  ------------------------                                      .
  \                      /     DB9 (for joysticks/mice)         .
   \  1  2   3   4   5  /                                       .
    \                  /      JOY0                    JOY1      .
     \  6  7   8   9  /   1 XB/UP                1 Up           .
      \______________/    2 XA/DOWN              2 Down         .
                          3 YA/LEFT              3 Left         .
                          4 YB/RIGHT             4 Right        .
  Outside view of         5 Middle button/Joy up 5 reserved (to Pin 17.)
  Computer port           6 Lbutton/Fire         6 Fire         .
  (as opposed to          7 +5V                  7 +5V          .
    Joystick connecter)   8 Ground               8 Ground       .
                          9 Rbutton/Joy1 Fire    9 No connection.
                                                                .

        David Galloway

P.S. Pin 5 on JOY0 (middle button) was a surprise for me, I have
not seen that before... It was Not connected on the schematic I
have... I assume they mean JOY1 up.

bjoern@drdhh.hanse.de (Bjoern Kriews) (06/16/91)

bd6@vax1.mankato.msus.edu writes:
>   I plan on "extending" my keyboard.  And i don't know if i just missed it or
>what.  But i would like to know the pin-outs for the keyboard jack. (that ugly
>17 pin thing.)  I would like to know all the pin-outs, so i can also connect my
>mouse and whatever else, to the keyboard.  So i need al little as possible
>wires from the keyboard to the computer.

Below is the layout for a standard ST keyboard, on Mega-ST's KBDAssy, pin 18
is missing.

(01) ground
(02) (no pin, protection)
(03) J1 R
(04) J1 L
(05) J1 D
(06) MBut R / J1 Fire
(07) J1 U
(08) M Y2 / J0 R
(09) M Y1 / J0 L
(10) M X1 / J0 D
(11) MBut L / J0 Fire
(12) M X2 / J0 U
(13) VCC (+5V)
(14) TxData -> 6850
(15) RxData <- 6850
(16) Reset (not used but working on Mega-ST KBD)
(17) J1 Pin 5
(18) KBDClk 4 Mhz

Hope that helps, Bjoern

btw: The keyboard circuit diagram says something about pin 37 of 6301 chip
being used as a Caps-Lock indicator -> transistor -> led.
Anyone ever got this feature to work ?
I have achieved nothing, so I think it has to be made in IKBD's OS.

Answers via mail, please.

---
bjoern@drdhh.hanse.de = Bjoern Kriews / Stormsweg 6 / 2000 Hamburg 76 / FRG
"gaaga mahwe Bjoern urgl ufzae Turbo-C bnub"     (J. Willamowius)