[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Mono Monitor Problems

dgjst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Daniel G. Jones) (03/09/91)

	Hello, my mono mon. went bad a little while ago, and if
	anyone recognizes the problem and knows a fix I'd appreciate
	hearing from them.

SYMPTOMS: the image shifted to the left hand side of the screen
	  very bright line through the center of what image is left
	  image is the wrong term--VERY distorted view of the
		desktop with parts of a few icons visible.

	This problem occured suddenly, with no prior symptoms. It has
	been in daily use for over a year.

	If this sounds familiar, how do you fix it or
		how much did you pay to have it fixed.

				Thanks in advance,
					Dan Jones
					sleepy@unix.cis.pitt.edu
					dgjst@unix.cis.pitt.edu

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (03/10/91)

Distribution:world

In article <101430@unix.cis.pitt.edu> dgjst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Daniel G. Jones) writes:

> 	Hello, my mono mon. went bad a little while ago, and if
> 	anyone recognizes the problem and knows a fix I'd appreciate
> 	hearing from them.
> 				Thanks in advance,
> 					Dan Jones
> 					sleepy@unix.cis.pitt.edu
> 					dgjst@unix.cis.pitt.edu

There is a Pot, VR 701 Horiz Centering, this is on the main PCB,
near the front, on the right side, this could need ajusting.

!!! WARNING !!! this is close to the EHT circuits, and that is a
Voltage of 10,000 Volts, so use a long plastic trimmer (10")
and please take precourtions...

IE. ajust Pot, with power off..
--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...

gints@prophet.sgi.com (Gints Klimanis) (03/11/91)

Hi !!

A little more info would help: have you tried any other mono or color
monitors?

From your brief description, it sound like your video shifter chip went
bezerk.  A very simple attempt at a fix would be to carefully pop out
the shifter chip and reseat it.  I have seen many a device come to life
after this simple procedure.  Reseating a chip merely scrapes off some
oxidation form its pins.  If you need help locating and removing the
video shifter chip, post another message.

If a reseat doesn't do it, fret not.  A video shifter chip can be
purchased for about $40 from somewhere.

vsnyder@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Van Snyder) (03/11/91)

In article <1991Mar10.223218.26260@odin.corp.sgi.com> gints@prophet.sgi.com (Gints Klimanis) writes:
>...From your brief description, it sound like your video shifter chip went
>bezerk.  A very simple attempt at a fix would be to carefully pop out
>the shifter chip and reseat it...
>
>If a reseat doesn't do it, fret not.  A video shifter chip can be
>purchased for about $40 from somewhere.

But DO FIRST TRY ANOTHER MONITOR.  You wouldn't want to spring for $40 only
to discover it's in the monitor after all.
--
vsnyder@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov
ames!elroy!jato!vsnyder

johnj@hijg.prl.philips.nl (John Janssen) (03/13/91)

In article <101430@unix.cis.pitt.edu> dgjst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Daniel G. Jones) writes:

>	Hello, my mono mon. went bad a little while ago, and if
>	anyone recognizes the problem and knows a fix I'd appreciate
>	hearing from them.
>
>SYMPTOMS: the image shifted to the left hand side of the screen
>	  very bright line through the center of what image is left
>	  image is the wrong term--VERY distorted view of the
>		desktop with parts of a few icons visible.
>
>	This problem occured suddenly, with no prior symptoms. It has
>	been in daily use for over a year.
>
>	If this sounds familiar, how do you fix it or
>		how much did you pay to have it fixed.
>
>				Thanks in advance,
>					Dan Jones
>					sleepy@unix.cis.pitt.edu
>					dgjst@unix.cis.pitt.edu

I had a simular problem some years ago.
I remember that the monitor sometimes worked fine for
a few days, and then had that problem for a few days, etc.
Sometimes it came up, while switching on, but sometimes
halfway without doing anything particular. Anyway very strange.

I fixed it (together with a friend).
I still have the same gear now and it never happened since.

So here's what to do:

Check the PCB within monitor for broken 'routes'.
(Sorry I do not know what better word to use, I am not English).
You know the fix 'wires' on the PCB of copper (Cu).

I found two routes on the PCB broken. However it was very hard
to see. Use some kind of magnifier and good light.
And while you're busy, resolder all solder points, as many
were badly soldered (at least in my SM124).

I remember that one broken 'route' was so close to a solder point
that we hardly saw it.

Good luck.

--
John Janssen     johnj@idms.prl.philips.nl
Venlo Holland

scott@cs.odu.edu (Scott D. Yelich) (06/19/91)

I have posted to comp.sys.atari.st -- but just perhaps no one who likes
tech is reading that.

My monichrome monitor has gone the way it was designed to go.
It died.

It appears to be the same problem with that resister/capacitor--
whatever.  However, like a fool, i didn't save the articles on how and
what was the best fix for this, since of course, it could never happen
to me.

Anyway, while i am in there, I want to do the overscan stuff too.

Please, plsae, either post, email me or tell me where I can find the
best directions on how to fix this power supply problem AND do the
over scan at the same time.

PS:  I just put a "best" power supply in my TOS 1.4 ST cause the
old power supplies just died...

DOES ANYONE HAVE THE PATCH TO ALLOW STOS TO WORK WITH TOS 1.4?

Thank you for your bandwidth.

Scott