[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Mega STe Questions

carter@engr.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) (06/19/91)

Well, first of all, it depends!

My developer machine came with one installed, FPU 68881 that is, but I ordered
another and it didn't come installed with one!

The drive specs are wonderful, 33ms at 750K a sec. transfer time.

--Greg

jansteen@cwi.nl (Jan van der Steen) (06/19/91)

carter@engr.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) writes:

>Well, first of all, it depends!

>My developer machine came with one installed, FPU 68881 that is, but I ordered
>another and it didn't come installed with one!

>The drive specs are wonderful, 33ms at 750K a sec. transfer time.
                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Bits I presume?

	Jan van der Steen
     Jan van der Steen                 jansteen@cwi.nl
     Centre for Mathematics and Computer Science (CWI)

csbrod@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod) (06/19/91)

ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) writes:

>1) As I understand the Mega STe has room for a co-processor chip.
>Does the chip come installed or is it an option?  I suppose that it is
>a 68881, right?  Is it also at 16 MHz?  Do there exist compilers which
>generate code for it?

The 68881 is optional. The Mega STE's FPU is programmed just like
the FPUs available for the standard Mega, so there should be some
development packages supporting it.

>2) The MegaSTe comes normally with a 48 Mb SCSI disk installed.  Can
>someone send me the specifications of this disk?  Average seek time,
>etc. ?

Seagate ST157N-1, 28ms av. seek time, transfer rate 650 KB/s, autoparks.

Claus Brod, Am Felsenkeller 2,			Things. Take. Time.
D-8772 Marktheidenfeld, Germany		 	(Piet Hein)
csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Claus_Brod@wue.maus.de

micro@imada.ou.dk (Klaus Pedersen) (06/19/91)

ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) writes:

>1) As I understand the Mega STe has room for a co-processor chip.
>Does the chip come installed or is it an option?  I suppose that it is
>a 68881, right?  Is it also at 16 MHz?  Do there exist compilers which
>generate code for it?

Both Turbo C and HighSpeed Pascal (Maxon) support the register FPU.
The libarays supplied test if the FPU is in the computer when the first
floating point routine is used or in the startup code, and then uses the
appriate binding...
(emulating or FPU)
I don't think that there is any 'automatic' binding for the TT - yet!

The FPU is allways running 16 MHz...

Klaus.

stigvi@Lise.Unit.NO (Stig Vidar Hovland) (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun19.114741.11944@informatik.uni-erlangen.de>, csbrod@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod) writes:

|> The 68881 is optional. The Mega STE's FPU is programmed just like
|> the FPUs available for the standard Mega, so there should be some
|> development packages supporting it.

How is it programmed on a standard Mega? Will programs written for the TT and 68882 run correctly on a Mega STE and 68881?

Stig Vidar Hovland - stigvi@lise.unit.no

csbrod@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod) (06/21/91)

stigvi@Lise.Unit.NO (Stig Vidar Hovland) writes:

>In article <1991Jun19.114741.11944@informatik.uni-erlangen.de>, csbrod@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod) writes:
>|>
>|> The 68881 is optional. The Mega STE's FPU is programmed just like
>|> the FPUs available for the standard Mega, so there should be some
>|> development packages supporting it.
>|>

>How is it programmed on a standard Mega? Will programs written for the TT and 68882 run correctly on a Mega STE and 68881?

The FPUs available for 68000 computers are programmed via registers in
memory. I don't know the base address of the FPU in a Mega, but what you
do is basically write the appropiate values into a register using move
instructions, then write the instruction into a instruction register,
and fetch the result from a result register. This is due to the fact
that the 68000 has no proper coprocessor interface like the 68020 or
68030 have.

Programs that use TT FPU will use Line F instructions that won't work
on a 68000. You may, however, write a Line F emulator for the standard
68000 to emulate a FPU coprocessor in the system.

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (06/21/91)

>In article <1991Jun19.114741.11944@informatik.uni-erlangen.de>,
>csbrod@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod) writes:

>> The 68881 is optional. The Mega STE's FPU is programmed just like
>> the FPUs available for the standard Mega, so there should be some
>> development packages supporting it.

This is correct.

stigvi@Lise.Unit.NO (Stig Vidar Hovland) writes:

>How is it programmed on a standard Mega? Will programs written for the
>TT and 68882 run correctly on a Mega STE and 68881?

No.  The 68030 communicates with the FPU as a coprocessor.  You use
instructions like "FSIN fp0,fp1" and the CPU communicates directly with the
coprocessor, telling it to take the sine of FP0 and put the answer in FP1.
(FP0 and FP1 are floating-point data registers in the FPU.)  The 68000 does
not have this ability.  With a 68000 the FPU is a peripheral, like the
sound chip or floppy-disk controller: it takes many regular 68000
instructions to read and write I/O ports on the chip to get it to do what
you want.  You have to do it "by hand" instead of having the CPU do it for
you.  Thus, it is slower and your program is larger than it would be using
68030 FPU instructions.

What Claus is saying is that there is an FPU peripheral that plugs into the
Mega ST (called the SFP004), and there is an FPU that comes with the Mega
STe, and they interface the same way.  They both interface in the
"peripheral" way, because that's the only way the 68000 can handle.  This
means that a program (or library) that runs on a Mega using the SFP004 will
run on a Mega STe and use its built-in FPU.  In the TT the FPU interfaces
in the "coprocessor" way, so these programs won't work.