[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] 2nd drive in Megafile 30?

csbrod@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod) (06/21/91)

michael@gem.stack.urc.tue.nl (Michael Brouwer) writes:

>On the main print of the Megafile 30 there is a connecter marked j1. (Ok,
>there wasn't a connector but I put one there.) It looks the same as j0
>(20 pin) which is used for the select of the first drive. I connected a
>longer cable to j2 (34 pin) and connected this to both drives. I
>connected the second drive to j1 and booted. The system booted but the
>second drive wasn't recognized at all, not even by the partitioning
>software (Atari Advanced Hard Disk Utilities (c) 1989 CA400307-004).
>So I tried changing the positon of the dip switch marked `x' on the
>Megafile motherboard with no result. I changed the drive select jumper
>on the harddisk, but this didn't change anything either. When I switched
>the drives (the 20 pin cables) the second drived worked and the first
>one didn't.

The HDX software won't recognize a second drive. You'll need another
driver that supports that; mine, for example, or reportedly, ICD's.
(But remember: ICD software will only run if you have an ICD
host adapter installed.)

You will also have to remove two hardware mods on the controller board.
Pin 17 and 18 of j1 are connected to ground on the board (pin 17 via
a resistor on the upper side, pin 18 via a connection on the lower
side of the board).

Claus Brod, Am Felsenkeller 2,			Things. Take. Time.
D-8772 Marktheidenfeld, Germany		 	(Piet Hein)
csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Claus_Brod@wue.maus.de

etmelag@sunbeam6.ericsson.se (Louis Lagendijk) (06/22/91)

Good luck,
Louis

ZVD007@DMSWWU1C.BITNET (U.Kuehn) (06/24/91)

In article <646@rc6.urc.tue.nl>, michael@gem.stack.urc.tue.nl (Michael Brouwer)
says:
>The system booted but the
>second drive wasn't recognized at all, not even by the partitioning
>software (Atari Advanced Hard Disk Utilities (c) 1989 CA400307-004).
>So I tried changing the positon of the dip switch marked `x' on the
>Megafile motherboard with no result. I changed the drive select jumper
>on the harddisk, but this didn't change anything either. When I switched
>the drives (the 20 pin cables) the second drived worked and the first
>one didn't.

The problem is not the hardware, its a software problem: I suppose that you
are using the AHDI; the driver is not written for recognising a second drive
(at least in versions <= 3.01), so all you have to do, is patching the AHDI
or getting another driver which handles two drives correctly.

U.Kuehn

ytsuji@wucc.waseda.ac.jp (Y.Tsuji) (06/25/91)

Well, there is room to put a 3.5" drive in a Megafile30. I have fixed a
couple of signal pins and bought cables to run two drives, used another
power supply to the second drive, fixed the terminator and the drive number
assignment, and the drives run marvellously. So far so good.

Is there a convenient way to fix the power supply module so that it can
generate 4 amps? The diode there seems to pass only 2 amps of 5V, though.

Cheers,
Tsuji

rosenkra@convex.com (William Rosencranz) (06/26/91)

In article <91172.151551ZVD007@DMSWWU1C.BITNET> ZVD007@DMSWWU1C.BITNET (U.Kuehn) writes:
>The problem is not the hardware, its a software problem: I suppose that you
>are using the AHDI; the driver is not written for recognising a second drive
>(at least in versions <= 3.01), so all you have to do, is patching the AHDI
>or getting another driver which handles two drives correctly.

does this mean that daisychaining an SH204 off a megafile 60 (it has both
in and out ACSI ports) using AHDI 3.01 (what i think i am using now)
will not work either no matter what the LUN switches are set to? is there
a more recent AHDI which will recognize the other drive? i was going to
try this, having finally backed up all 58 MB of stuff on my '60 (file-by-file
no less, to floppies :-( ). short of this, how can i get CBDI from claus
in the states?

-bill
rosenkra@convex.com

--
Bill Rosenkranz            |UUCP: {uunet,texsun}!convex!c1yankee!rosenkra
Convex Computer Corp.      |ARPA: rosenkra%c1yankee@convex.com

csbrod@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod) (06/26/91)

rosenkra@convex.com (William Rosencranz) writes:

>In article <91172.151551ZVD007@DMSWWU1C.BITNET> ZVD007@DMSWWU1C.BITNET (U.Kuehn) writes:
>>The problem is not the hardware, its a software problem: I suppose that you
>>are using the AHDI; the driver is not written for recognising a second drive
>>(at least in versions <= 3.01), so all you have to do, is patching the AHDI
>>or getting another driver which handles two drives correctly.

>does this mean that daisychaining an SH204 off a megafile 60 (it has both
>in and out ACSI ports) using AHDI 3.01 (what i think i am using now)
>will not work either no matter what the LUN switches are set to? is there

Such a configuration will work with AHDI, no problem. The trouble begins
when you try to connect a second drive to a SH204's or a Megafile's controller.

>a more recent AHDI which will recognize the other drive? i was going to
>try this, having finally backed up all 58 MB of stuff on my '60 (file-by-file
>no less, to floppies :-( ). short of this, how can i get CBDI from claus
>in the states?

Unfortunately, we have no US/UK version of the book because we cannot
find someone to translate it. We also haven't got a US/UK distributor
(who in the world would distribute a German book in the US?); so the
only way to get the software (which is part of the book) is to order
a copy directly from me. 'Nuff advertising now 8-)

hvaalde@cs.vu.nl (Aalderen van Harold) (06/27/91)

rosenkra@convex.com (William Rosencranz) writes:

>>The problem is not the hardware, its a software problem: I suppose that you
>does this mean that daisychaining an SH204 off a megafile 60 (it has both
>in and out ACSI ports) using AHDI 3.01 (what i think i am using now)
>will not work either no matter what the LUN switches are set to? is there
>a more recent AHDI which will recognize the other drive? i was going to

No but daisy chaning a SH204 to any other atari disk will give other problems
When I tried this a few years ago everything seemed fine but when I tried
to transfer megabytes from one HD to the other I started to lose files
they got corrupted and finally I lost alll data on the SH204 because of
a corupted FAT (I did use AHDI 3.01 at that time)
According to Atari there is a timing problem between the SH204 and newer
atari HD's which means the SH204 cannot be connected to any of the Atari
drives. (well that's what they say)

Harold van Aalderen (hvaalde@cs.vu.nl)