[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Mono monitor blacking

JJL101@psuvm.psu.edu (J.J. Lehett) (06/30/91)

   Previously I had thought that this problem I was having with my monitor
was due to interference although now I am not too sure.  Here are the
symptoms:
   Often when I turn the monitor on after a period of non-use the screen
is almost completely black.  Any letters on the screen though are somewhat
visible but in an inverse shadowed kind of way.  Then the longer it remains
on the blackness seems to dissappear, into vertical bands of horizontal
lines like this across the screen

          ==   ==    ==   ===
          ==   ==    ==   ===
          ==   ==    ==   ===
          ==   ==    ==   ===
          ==   ==    ==   ===
          ==   ==    ==   ===

    These lines fade in and out a lot until after a period of time.

    Does any one have any ideas on this?

                                        J.J.

*     J.J.      *  Internet: JJL101@PSUVM.PSU.EDU  *     Penn State     *
*               *                                  *     Center for     *
*  John Lehett  *  Bitnet:   JJL101@PSUVM          * Academic Computing *
*    Atari ST's!, Puzzles, Cryptos, Games, Diplomacy, Synths + Midi     *

Roger.Sheppard@actrix.gen.nz (Roger Sheppard) (07/01/91)

In article <91180.155408JJL101@psuvm.psu.edu> JJL101@psuvm.psu.edu (J.J. Lehett) writes:

>    Previously I had thought that this problem I was having with my monitor
> was due to interference although now I am not too sure.  Here are the
> symptoms:
>    Often when I turn the monitor on after a period of non-use the screen
> is almost completely black.  Any letters on the screen though are somewhat
> visible but in an inverse shadowed kind of way.  Then the longer it remains
> on the blackness seems to dissappear, into vertical bands of horizontal
> lines like this across the screen
>
>           ==   ==    ==   ===
>           ==   ==    ==   ===
>           ==   ==    ==   ===
>           ==   ==    ==   ===
>           ==   ==    ==   ===
>           ==   ==    ==   ===
>
>     These lines fade in and out a lot until after a period of time.
>
>     Does any one have any ideas on this?
>
>                                         J.J.

> *     J.J.      *  Internet: JJL101@PSUVM.PSU.EDU  *     Penn State     *
> *               *                                  *     Center for     *
> *  John Lehett  *  Bitnet:   JJL101@PSUVM          * Academic Computing *
> *    Atari ST's!, Puzzles, Cryptos, Games, Diplomacy, Synths + Midi     *

I don't think that this is a monitor problem,
try reseating the Glue and MMU IC's, dirty
contacts with these IC's cause this kind of problem.
--
***  Roger W. Sheppard        *    Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz  ***
***  85 Donovan Rd          *  *   At least I don't Flicker, not     ***