[comp.lang.idl-pvwave] color maps on 1-bit displays

steve@bat.lle.rochester.edu (Steve Swales) (07/24/90)

In article <1990Jul20.151223.19306@athena.mit.edu> jstravis@athena.mit.edu (John S. Travis) writes:
>I have a program that does color shaded contours. On a black/white
							^^^^^^^^^^^
>display I get:static display cannot load a color table (close enough)
>    Display Depth: 1 bits
		    ^^^^^^
>    Colormap: Private, 2 colors, Translation table: Bypassed
						     ^^^^^^^^
>How do i get a gray scale colormap(similar to the B/W linear)
>that will allow my program to work. Do I have to create one???

John,

Your own post has several clues to your problem. What you have
there is a black&white display... i.e. two colors, always black & white.

all you can do with these displays is modify how the data is converted
to 1-bit. specifically, see the FLOYD, ORDERED, and THRESHOLD keywords.

to avoid the error message, check !d.n_colors... if it's 2, then don't
try to load a color map.

hope this helps.

-steve