[comp.lang.idl-pvwave] Call for volunteer anomyous FTP site

gotwols@warper.jhuapl.edu (Bruce Gotwols) (08/06/90)

	It is time to set up a remote FTP archive site in order to be able
to easily share user written code amongst ourselves.  I would happily
volunteer to host the site but am not in a position to do so.  Can anyone
out there reading this volunteer to host a remote FTP site for a National
IDL-PVWAVE library?

	Running the site itself is probably not too much effort -- but reviewing
the routines is.  I think we could probably automate the latter so that a
standard preamble had to be included but otherwise let it go at that.  From
the preamble we could have a program extract a short description which could
be included in a file containing a list of what programs are available.  I am
not in favor of reviewing the routines for robustness or accuracy.  That would
eventually lead to a bottleneck and would take a lot of someones time.  With
each routine containing the authors name and address it would be up to the
author to maintain his/her own quality control.

	The first step is to agree on documentation requirements.  That can
be discussed here and I will summarize after a while.  Then if someone
volunteers to set up the FTP site we can start submitting programs.
Bruce L. Gotwols
Johns Hopkins University, Applied Physics Lab., Laurel MD 20723
Internet:  gotwols@warper.jhuapl.edu   (128.244.176.48)

rfinch@caldwr.water.ca.gov (Ralph Finch) (08/10/90)

In article <6184@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu> gotwols@warper.jhuapl.edu (Bruce Gotwols) writes:
>	The first step is to agree on documentation requirements.  That can
>be discussed here and I will summarize after a while.

I think that IDL/Wave have some sort of standard already for
user-library functions, right?  If so, would that serve for us?  Does
anybody know what that standard is?
--
Ralph Finch			916-445-0088
rfinch@water.ca.gov		...ucbvax!ucdavis!caldwr!rfinch

jones@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Mike Jones) (08/11/90)

In article <221@locke.water.ca.gov> rfinch@caldwr.water.ca.gov (Ralph Finch) writes:
>In article <6184@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu> gotwols@warper.jhuapl.edu (Bruce Gotwols) writes:
>>	The first step is to agree on documentation requirements.  That can
>>be discussed here and I will summarize after a while.
>
>I think that IDL/Wave have some sort of standard already for
>user-library functions, right?  If so, would that serve for us?  Does
>anybody know what that standard is?
>--
>Ralph Finch			916-445-0088
>rfinch@water.ca.gov		...ucbvax!ucdavis!caldwr!rfinch
>Any opinions expressed are my own; they do not represent the DWR

That's right. We should make the documentation compatable with
the doc_library routine. The best way to do that is to fill out the library
template. On my (Wave on DS3100) Ultrix system that is in
/usr/local/lib/wave/lib/template.  On a VMS machine use
lib/extr/out=template.pro wave$library

On my VMS version, doc_library,'template' will give the template form.
Don't just use the output of doc_library as the template, it strips the
;+ and ;- delimiters that are needed. Suprisingly the Ultrix call can't
find the template file, but as I mentioned it is in the distribution kit.

I've used this template for 5 years in IDL and Wave and find it quite
useful, even for my own projects when I don't expect anyone else to
read the code.

steve@bat.lle.rochester.edu (Steve Swales) (08/11/90)

In article <24608@boulder.Colorado.EDU> jones@crash.Colorado.EDU (Mike Jones) writes:
>That's right. We should make the documentation compatable with
>the doc_library routine. The best way to do that is to fill out the library
>template. On my (Wave on DS3100) Ultrix system that is in
>/usr/local/lib/wave/lib/template.  On a VMS machine use
>lib/extr/out=template.pro wave$library
>
>I've used this template for 5 years in IDL and Wave and find it quite
>useful, even for my own projects when I don't expect anyone else to
>read the code.

I agree that using the 'standard' template is a good idea.
I've actually been using a somewhat modified version of this template,
so that i can run a filter on the code to make a UNIX-style manual page,
This entails adding a few fields before the ;+ that a man page usually
has, and which are useful to the programmer, but not really to the user.
My template is:

;
; FILE:         $proto.pro
; AUTHOR:       $author
; DATE:         $date   (Created: $date)
; PURPOSE:      $purpose
;+
; SYNOPSIS:     $proto
;-

The $ fields are filled in by my application templating code. My manual
page generator looks for these keywords, but anthing between the ;+
and the ;- is basically copied verbatum to the manual page, so actually
the 'standard' stuff would do just as well. Being a UNIX type, I'm used
to just SYNOPSIS & DESCRIPTION, so I've found these sufficient, and
more to the point than the many fields of the standard template. Much
of what appears inside the standard template is of generally no interest
to the user, IMHO.

In any event, the fields BEFORE the ;+ can be included in addition to the
stanard ones, to augment the file documentation, without interefering with
the standard recognized by doc_library, so I would suggest that this
extension (or something similar) be adopted. just my $.02.

-steve
--
 Steve Swales                (716) 275-0265,-3857,-5101| he cried. "The game is