[comp.lang.idl-pvwave] Wave under OpenWindows

rob@hao.ucar.edu (Rob Montgomery) (05/01/91)

We would like to run PV~WAVE Point and Click 1.0 on Suns running OS
4.1 under OpenWindows Version 2.  There is a problem in that the menu comes
out white on white.  A Sun patch exists for OS 4.1.1.  Does anybody
know how to get Point and Click to work under Sun OS 4.1 and OpenWindows?

Thanks,

Rob

metcalf@maile.ifa.hawaii.edu (Tom Metcalf) (05/03/91)

Is there a way in IDL to determine whether a given structure name has been
defined?  Every test I have tried results in the error "Structure type not
defined" when the structure does not exist (eg "print,size({SNAME})") which
then terminates the program.  What I need is a test which can be used in a
program which indicates whether the structure is defined but does not generate
(or at least does not print) the "Structure Is Undefined" error.

BTW, by "structure name" I don't mean the name of a variable which contains a
structure but the name used in the structure definition.

All suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Tom Metcalf
metcalf@uhifa.ifa.hawaii.edu

greg@pvi.UUCP (Greg Holling x376) (05/03/91)

In article <11238@ncar.ucar.edu> rob@hao.ucar.edu (Rob Montgomery) writes:
>We would like to run PV~WAVE Point and Click 1.0 on Suns running OS
>4.1 under OpenWindows Version 2.  There is a problem in that the menu comes
>out white on white.  A Sun patch exists for OS 4.1.1.  Does anybody
>know how to get Point and Click to work under Sun OS 4.1 and OpenWindows?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Rob

Rob -

We have been running P&C 1.0 on a number of workstations inhouse with OW 2.0
and SunOS v4.0.3, v4.1, and v4.1.1.  I haven't seen the problem you're
describing on our workstations...here is a summary of the behaviours I've
seen while running OpenWindows in SunView emulation mode.

Does P&C work in SunView on your workstation?  If so, it should behave exactly
the same under OpenWindows, with the following caveats:

(1) The SunView emulation windows always cover OpenWindows windows.  I.e.,
    you can't pop an OpenWindows window to the front.

(2) The color tables are slightly different between SunView and OpenWindows,
    so you will get some flashing when you move between the two types of
    windows.

(3) Mouse buttons behave differently depending on which type of window your
    cursor is over.  In SunView, the left button (MB1) is used to pop a window
    to the top, the middle button (MB2) is used to move and resize windows,
    and the right button (MB3) is used to get a frame menu.  In OpenWindows,
    MB1 is used to pop, move, and resize windows, and MB3 is used to get a
    frame menu.  This can be somewhat confusing when you are running in
    the combined SunView/OpenWindows environment.

If you want to talk to somebody in person about this, you can call our
customer service number: (303) 530-5200.  Or feel free to send me email with
more details about your configuration, etc. and I'll try to help you over this
hurdle.

Greg Holling
Precision Visuals, Inc.
boulder!pvi!greg