[comp.lang.idl-pvwave] Relationship between IDL and PVWAVE

william@kaula.keck.hawaii.edu (William Lupton) (05/03/91)

Can someone please explain the past, present and future relationship between
IDL (and Research Systems Inc) and PVWAVE (and Precision Visuals)? I had sort
of assumed that RSI had sold it to PVI but now I read that RSI are releasing a
new Motif / Open Look product called IDLwidgets. Is this the same as the PVWAVE
point and click product? Are both products continuing to be developed
separately? Or are they in fact continuing to be developed together?

		William Lupton (wlupton@keck.hawaii.edu)

plonski@Aero.org (Mike Plonski) (05/03/91)

--

According to the latest IDL NEWSLETTER - SPRING 1991, IDL terminated
their licensing agreement with PV-Wave as of Sept. 1990 and the

I have played BRIEFLY with the command language version of PV-wave and
the Point & Click version.  I didn't like the Point & Click version at
all.  I had two other non-IDL users (1 with extensive SUNVIEW/X11
coding experience and one new to a SUN workstation and windowed
environemt) also try the Point & Click version.  Neither of them liked
it as it simply takes too many mouse clicks to get anything done.  It
reminds me of why I dislike Macs, though, those users who prefer 10
mouse clicks to typing a single command might like it.  As for
the command language version of PV-Wave, it seemed identical to IDL
and I don't know if it is worth the extra money.  My colleague bought
it because PV-Wave had a GSA purchase number, while IDL did not.  If
you have dealt with government purchasing then you would understand
his decision.  As for IDL's new widgets, I ASSUME that these are
equivalent to the Wave-Widgets, though I have not had any time to play
with these yet.

As for the future, who knows how the products will diverge.  I plan to
stay with IDL because I deal with several other groups that use IDL
and only one person who uses PV-Wave.  In IDL's newletter, they also
indicate that they are working on a DOS version of IDL and a network
floating license.  IDL Ver 2.1 also has a Statistics Package and some
mapping and gridding routines also with a simple coastline database.
They also ask in the newsletter if people would be interested in being
able to use the NCAR coastline database at extra cost.  I would
personally find this database very usefull and the more people that
indicate this to IDL, the more likely that IDL will support it.
Therefore, everyone should immediately send IDL mail
(idl@boulder.colorado.edu) telling them that they want the NCAR
database.

Note that these opinions are based on only a brief evaluation of
PV-Wave.  All standard disclaimers apply.

.   . .__.			       The opinions expressed herein are soley
|\./| !__!	 Michael Plonski       those of the author and do not represent
|   | |		"plonski@aero.org"     those of The Aerospace Corporation.

rfinch@caldwr.water.ca.gov (Ralph Finch) (05/03/91)

In article <1991May3.032845.24972@aero.org> plonski@Aero.org (Mike Plonski) writes:
. . .

>According to the latest IDL NEWSLETTER - SPRING 1991, IDL terminated
>their licensing agreement with PV-Wave as of Sept. 1990 and the
>products are now free to diverge.

Oh no.  We are stuck on the PV-Wave track (with 4 expensive licenses)
so it would be difficult to switch back to IDL.

I am frankly not happy with PVI's handling of their version of IDL.
It costs a lot more than IDL and any significant additions they have
added, such as Widgets or Point-and-Click, cost yet extra!  Besides
which PVI seems hung up on Sunview interfaces.  I'd sure like to see
some work done with Openwindows.
. . .

> In IDL's newletter, they also
>indicate that they are working on a DOS version of IDL and a network
>floating license.
>IDL Ver 2.1 also has a Statistics Package and some
>mapping and gridding routines also with a simple coastline database.

The only one of these that PV-Wave has is the floating license, which
really benefits PVI, not the customer.

PVI: are you listening?  How about statistics, DOS, and so on?  How
about providing *real* value for all the extra $$$'s your customers
are paying?  How about at *least* telling your customers where you are
headed, especially with the split that just took place.  I would
really rather hear about these things from you, rather than from the
Usenet (thank God for the net though).
--
Ralph Finch			916-445-0088
rfinch@water.ca.gov		...ucbvax!ucdavis!caldwr!rfinch

ramesh@nevada.edu (RAMESH VISWANATHAN) (05/03/91)

In article <288@venice.water.ca.gov> rfinch@caldwr.water.ca.gov (Ralph Finch) writes:

>I am frankly not happy with PVI's handling of their version of IDL.
>It costs a lot more than IDL and any significant additions they have
>added, such as Widgets or Point-and-Click, cost yet extra!  Besides
>which PVI seems hung up on Sunview interfaces.  I'd sure like to see
>some work done with Openwindows.

I agree with the consensus that Point-and-Click is neither very exciting
nor convenient for those real programmers who prefer the CLI (command
line interface) but it offers some "user-friendliness" to those who are
easily intimidated by having to learn and memorize commands.

I too think that PVI is getting "a little" greedy in the prices they
are asking for Point-and-Click.  Methinks they should have offered it
at much lower prices to existing users of Wave who are on the software
maintenance contracts ;-> .

The version of PV Wave I have (3.01) supports the OpenWindows interface.

>> In IDL's newletter, they also
>>indicate that they are working on a DOS version of IDL and a network
>>floating license.

Graphics Visualization on a 486 platform??!!  Come on, let's get real.
But then again it depends upon you application, I guess.

>>IDL Ver 2.1 also has a Statistics Package and some
>>mapping and gridding routines also with a simple coastline database.

I can go for that.

>PVI: are you listening?  How about statistics, DOS, and so on?  How
>about providing *real* value for all the extra $$$'s your customers
>are paying?  How about at *least* telling your customers where you are
>headed, especially with the split that just took place.  I would
>really rather hear about these things from you, rather than from the
>Usenet (thank God for the net though).

Yes, Peter [Hallet].  Are you there!?

Ramesh Viswanathan
"The Trouble Rebel"
Environmental Research Center
Universiy of Nevada-Las Vegas

rfinch@caldwr.water.ca.gov (Ralph Finch) (05/04/91)

In article <1991May3.165723.28887@nevada.edu> ramesh@nevada.edu (RAMESH VISWANATHAN) writes:
. . .

>Graphics Visualization on a 486 platform??!!  Come on, let's get real.
>But then again it depends upon you application, I guess.

I thought it was a joke too (I'm interested in the DOS port only
because some of our district people don't have all the neat Sun
equipment we do, and would need to run our interface work on DOS. *We*
would never stoop to using DOS :-).  But, the fellow I talked to at
RSI seemed quite pleased with the DOS port, apparently it runs well
even on a 386 with 4MB.

Basically the split means yet another decision that newcomers to
visualization will have to make.  For those of us already well into
either product, hopefully both companies will work hard to keep their
now separate products up to speed.  Hey, maybe it would be easier to
chuck out everything and pay $75 bucks for apE ;-)

I suppose after a while the two products will diverge enough so that
this group will become meaningless.  Oh well.  (What's that bucky you
say the group was meaningless when it started?!)
--

churchill@decus.com.au (Jack Churchill) (05/05/91)

In article <1991May3.165723.28887@nevada.edu>, ramesh@nevada.edu (RAMESH VISWANATHAN) writes:
> In article <288@venice.water.ca.gov> rfinch@caldwr.water.ca.gov (Ralph Finch) writes:
>>
>>I am frankly not happy with PVI's handling of their version of IDL.
>>It costs a lot more than IDL and any significant additions they have
>>added, such as Widgets or Point-and-Click, cost yet extra!  Besides
>>which PVI seems hung up on Sunview interfaces.  I'd sure like to see
>>some work done with Openwindows.
>

> I agree with the consensus that Point-and-Click is neither very exciting
> nor convenient for those real programmers who prefer the CLI (command
> line interface) but it offers some "user-friendliness" to those who are
> easily intimidated by having to learn and memorize commands.

We don't have it and the point-&-click method may not be to everyones liking
but I find it should save programmer's (my) time in the long run by reducing
the number of requests from end-users to write custom/one-off display routines.
The end-users can satisfy most of their own (boring) requests when there is a
suitable "user-friendly" interface.  I can then spend more time on more
difficult and interesting problems.

> I too think that PVI is getting "a little" greedy in the prices they
> are asking for Point-and-Click.  Methinks they should have offered it
> at much lower prices to existing users of Wave who are on the software
> maintenance contracts ;-> .

Agree 100%.

> The version of PV Wave I have (3.01) supports the OpenWindows interface.
>
>>> In IDL's newletter, they also
>>>indicate that they are working on a DOS version of IDL and a network
>>>floating license.
>
> Graphics Visualization on a 486 platform??!!  Come on, let's get real.
> But then again it depends upon you application, I guess.

Don't rubbish PC's.  They are/will be the necessary driving force to keep other
computer companies honest and on the ball.

>>>IDL Ver 2.1 also has a Statistics Package and some
>>>mapping and gridding routines also with a simple coastline database.
>
> I can go for that.

Me too.  In fact I have used a similar package called Z which already has some
S+ features.  Also, a new S+ will have more image visualization features.  It
may make PV~Wave redundant on our site.  So, unless PVI get their act together
and either re-establish links with IDL or progress along similar directions, we
can't see any advantage in staying with PV~Wave or even IDL.  I think PV~Wave
and IDL should stay together to compete with other products.

>>PVI: are you listening?  How about statistics, DOS, and so on?  How
>>about providing *real* value for all the extra $$$'s your customers
>>are paying?  How about at *least* telling your customers where you are
>>headed, especially with the split that just took place.  I would
>>really rather hear about these things from you, rather than from the
>>Usenet (thank God for the net though).
>
> Yes, Peter [Hallet].  Are you there!?

Yeah!  I wish PVI took a few pages out of TGV's (Multinet) book on handling
client queries.
--
Jack N. Churchill                            | jack@syd.deg.csiro.au
CSIRO  Division of Exploration Geoscience    | churchill@decus.com.au

churchill@decus.com.au (Jack Churchill) (05/06/91)

By pure coincidence a workmate just arrived with the IDl Users Guide Addendum.
It certainly has lots of stats including cluster analysis and analysis of
variance.  He had a demo with another group and found the IDL widgets very
handy. He is 'demanding' we buy IDL despite the fact we already have PV~Wave on
a VAXstation 3200. We had a short meeting with other interested parties and
came to a tentative conclusion we should buy IDL for our DECsystem 500/200
instead of buying another relatively expensive copy of PV~Wave. At least we
will have our cake and eat it too until we can see more clearly what develops.
Can RSI and PVI please state their future directions and objectives for their
respective products?
--
Jack N. Churchill                            | jack@syd.deg.csiro.au
CSIRO  Division of Exploration Geoscience    | churchill@decus.com.au
Remote Sensing Group                         | Phone:  +61 2 887 8884
PO Box 136  North Ryde  NSW  2113            | Fax:    +61 2 887 8909
Australia                                    | Telex:  AA25817

zador-anthony@cs.yale.edu (Tony Zador) (05/08/91)

We have 2 licenses in our dept. We were thinking of writing a data
acquisition system (for Neurophysiology) in WAVE, but at these prices
it's out of the question. A neurophys rig costs >$10K, sans computer,
even at that price $2k more for the language to run the software is
extreme. We are looking into other options and will probably abandon
WAVE altogether. Too bad. It was a nice product, but boy are they greedy.

TZ