[comp.lang.idl-pvwave] PV_WAVE HELP helps

uuvince@ariel.lerc.nasa.gov (Vince Scullin) (06/22/91)

Yesterday I posted a message to this group which expressed my displeasure with
the attention I was not getting from the Precision Visuals HELP service on
some WAVE problems I had reported to them. I now have their attention in spades.
They responded quickly and courteously yesterday by phone and had my main
problem identified before I left work last night. My WAVE-to-FORTRAN interface
was not working because the method of passing parameters had been changed in
WAVE Version 3 and I had not picked up on the change. I made the changes today
to my program and I'm just about out of the woods. Since I knocked the PV HELP
people when I felt I wasn't getting much help, I think it is only fair that I
now thank them for their swift and effective help over the past 24 hours. Now
keep it going PV!

|   Vince Scullin                        |  Never attribute to malice that     |
|   Scientific Data Applications Branch  |  which can be adequately explained  |
|   NASA Lewis Research Center           |  by ignorance.                      |
|   Cleveland, Ohio 44135         uuvince@venus.lerc.nasa.gov (Vince Scullin)  |

plutchak@pilsner.geo.brown.edu (Joel Plutchak) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun21.213057.9204@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> uuvince@ariel.lerc.nasa.gov writes:
>Yesterday I posted a message to this group which expressed my displeasure with
>the attention I was not getting from the Precision Visuals HELP service on
>some WAVE problems I had reported to them. I now have their attention
>in spades.
>...I think it is only fair that I
>now thank them for their swift and effective help over the past 24 hours. Now
>keep it going PV!

   One should also keep in mind that it took a world-wide broadcast of
your displeasure, in a forum chock-full of current and potential Precision
Visuals customers, to get their attention.  What happens to customers who
don't have access to this forum, or who don't have the time to read news?
Unfortunately, this scenario seems to be the emerging standard for customer
support.
--
Joel Plutchak, Research Programmer/Analyst
Brown University Planetary Geology

rfinch@caldwr.water.ca.gov (Ralph Finch) (06/28/91)

In article <79332@brunix.UUCP>, plutchak@pilsner.geo.brown.edu (Joel Plutchak) writes:
. . .
>    One should also keep in mind that it took a world-wide broadcast of
> your displeasure, in a forum chock-full of current and potential Precision
> Visuals customers, to get their attention.

Well, if that's the only way to get their attention, then I'll use it.

We bought 4 copies of PV-Wave over about a 2-year period.  We are
supposed to have 1 copy be unlimited use from 1 machine, the other 3
floating licenses, max 3 users but from any machine.

First problem:  We have never got the above to work.  The best we've
been able to achieve is 3 floating licenses.

Second problem: PVI cannot seem to straighten out their internal
records.  After 1 year they still think we have just 2 copies, and
always mix up the soft key numbers.

Third problem, and my real gripe:  THE HELP PEOPLE ARE OFTEN IN SOME
MEETING AND *NOBODY* IS AVAILABLE TO ANSWER QUESTIONS!  Such as, "I
installed the tape you sent me yesterday to fix the license problem,
it doesn't work and now PV-Wave is broken and users are waiting while
you guys have your meetings."  This has happened numbers of times
before.  Don't these managerial bonzos think about the *customer* when
they schedule meetings?
--
Ralph Finch			916-445-0088
rfinch@water.ca.gov		...ucbvax!ucdavis!caldwr!rfinch