[comp.protocols.time.ntp] Glossary of Technical Words Required

daveb@comspec.uucp (dave berman) (07/05/90)

Dear new friends -

I am very new to news in general, and have almost ZERO knowledge of LORAN-C,
except that a close friend of mine spent an entire year trying to repair a
defective STS (brand) Loran receiver. From my reading the manual that
accompanies the receiver, I learned that the LORAN-C waves are extremely
identical and sent in a predictable pattern at a standard time from 3 or 4
locations at a standard, very low radio frequency (? 8940? 8490? Hz for my
part of North America). This can be used to determine (among other things)
your exact location within a few hundred meters. This may not be accurate, but
this summarizes what I know.

I think I understand the postings here are kinda personal for you all who use
this stuff in your labs. But I am interested in following the cross talk
anyway. (I hope you don't mind).

To this end, these are the terms which I could not understand from 3 postings.
I have included the postings at the end for your information. Could you or
someone define (or loosely define) these terms, please? I have included the
few I know, just to show you how *little* definition would do the trick.

To Mills, Dave or Richard, or whoever answers this posting: Thank you in
advance. Maybe others have wanted to know about this stuff too - I hope I also
thank you on their behalf.                    - Dave

Glossary of Unknown Terms

apple (in context)
chimer, chimers
clepsydra
ECO, ECOs
fuzz, fuzzball
fuzzball hardware
GPS
JvNC
JvNC fuzzy
LORAN-C: an international time and location low frequency standard?
MIT: Mass. Inst. of Technology?
NEARNET
net 128.175 friskers
net 128.4 rascals
norad (in context): ? a ____ site
NSFNET NSS
NTP
ntpdc
ntpdc billboards
oxide plow: informal description of disk head collecting disk scrape stuff
pelt, pelting
primary server (in this context)
Selective Availability
umd1
UDP/TIME
USCG: United States Coast Guard
USNO

The above list was gleaned from these messages:

From: Mills@udel.edu
Newsgroups: comp.protocols.time.ntp
Subject: SDSC spins harder

Folks,

The legions of chimers now pelting primary server fuzz.sdsc.edu will be
happy to learn that fuzzball has abandoned pelt of floppy disk in favor
of the hard stuff, a 30-megabyte disk and controller kindly furnished
courtesy the DEC folk. This should result in some improvement in accuracy,
since the silly kernel loop necessary to hack the floppy-disk controller
no longer spins.

Similar equipment has been installed at ncarfuzz.ucar.edu and
truechimer.cso.uiuc.edu, but so far has not been coaxed to life, due ECOs,
cables or whatnot. The goal is a general upgrade of fuzzball hardware and
removing the potential for the floppy drives to become oxide plows.
Meanwhile, the JvNC fuzzy arrived here for temporary storage. We are
hoping to find a home at MIT, assuming the NSFNET NSS is installed there
and NEARNET agrees to house the critter.

Dave

From: Mills@udel.edu
Newsgroups: comp.protocols.time.ntp
Subject: Re:  GPS News from CANSPACE

Richard,

According to the latest USCG newsletter, LORAN-C time-transfer accuracy
is expected to be inproved to the order of 100 ns; at least, that's what
the USCG has interpreted Congress to mandate. This is about three times
more accurate that available with GPS Selective Availability as verified
by published USNO weekly corrections. Accordingly, I have abandoned efforts
to pursue GPS in favor of LORAN-C, which is potentially much cheaper and
yields better accuracy, at least within groundwave range (which most of us
are).

Yes, I know LORAN-C groundwave is vulnerable to weather, season, etc., but
not to the extent, as verified by measurements in my lab, to change my
conclusion.

Dave

P.S. When the GPS community gets its hat on right and kills the Selective
Availability nonsens, my conclusion may well change.

DLM

From: Mills@udel.edu
Newsgroups: comp.protocols.time.ntp
Subject: Re:  New clock in the world

Dave,

Your chimer remains elusive to my net 128.4 rascals, but at least responds
to ntpdc from net 128.175 friskers. Your ntpdc billboards show you have
chime only from the radio and not from anybody else, including clepsydra
(down at the moment), apple and norad (both up). Did we ever resolve this
problem? Not that I would care a lot, but two of the NSFNET bunch are
broken at the moment and the fuzzballs are groaning under the load of
well over 120 chimers per machine, so any little help is spreading the
load is much appreciated.

Just for giggles, I see that umd1 is under pelt from misguided UDP/TIME
chimers, some of which give pelt every couple of minutes and then machine-
gun the victim several times in one second. This results in a packet
flux six times the rate permitted by NTP. Most destructive. I suggest
nobody use umd1, whose time is now degraded to the point my servers never
select it. Kick those UPD/TIME brokons off the machine and maybe it would
return to the useful.

Dave
--
Dave Berman
436 Perth Av #U-907   daveb@comspec.UUCP   Computer at work

brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) (07/06/90)

There is a nice NBS monograph #129 in many libraries (ours here at ucsd
had it) that describes Loran-C in a LOT of detail and will explain many
of the technical terms you were curious about.

Much of the rest of the terms you were questioning were simply Dr.
Mills being excessively cute;  although fun to read, it can take some
effort to decrypt.  Let me assure you, it's usually worth the effort.
(Sorry, Dave, but it does get a bit thick at times.)

A shorthand and only somewhat-accurate explanation of Loran-C:  Loran-C
is transmitted on a radio frequency of 100kHz in the form of pulses.
There are "chains" of stations sending pulses at the same rate within a
chain and differing rates between chains; by observing the repetition
rate and delays between pulses it is possible to derive the distance
between yourself and the transmitting stations.  Since the stations are
at known locations, hyperbolic geometry can be used to figure out the
location of the receiving station to some small degree of error.

The timing of the Loran-C transmissions is quite precise.  Although
Loran pulses do not encode time in the sense of you being able to read
hours minutes and seconds from the pulse train directly, they do
represent a nice reasonably-stable timebase - and it's quite easy to
receive them.  Thus it may be possible for time freaks such as myself
to cobble up something that uses the received Loran signal as a
timebase to keep a clock ticking at precise intervals, with the actual
setting of the clock being done by other means, such as a WWV receiver.

That's not a terribly accurate explanation, but it may help.
	- Brian

lars@spectrum.CMC.COM (Lars Poulsen) (07/07/90)

In article <1990Jul5.044200.3261@comspec.uucp>
   daveb@comspec.uucp (dave berman) writes:
>To this end, these are the terms which I could not understand from 3 postings.

>apple (in context)
	The site APPLE.COM (Apple Computers, in Cupertino (?))

>chimer, chimers
	An informal term for someone that speaks clock protocol (NTP).

>clepsydra
	Another host site; don't know who or where.

>ECO, ECOs
	Engineering Change Order. A hardware bugfix (published by the
	manufacturers field service organization).

>fuzz, fuzzball
>fuzzball hardware
	The Fuzzball was an experimental TCP/IP package that ran on
	LSI-11's. Developed and maintained for the public good by Dave
	Mills for several years. The first NSFnet was built out of
	Fuzzballs.

>GPS
	Global positioning System. A US military navigation satellite
	system; I think it contains about 27 satellites. Missiles can
	get their position to about 50 feet; but commercial customers
	can not get nearly as good accuracy: We did not want the Soviet
	missiles to benefit from our system !! The equivalent Soviet
	system is called Glonass.

>JvNC
>JvNC fuzzy
	John von Neumann Center for supercomputing.
	A fuzzball at that location.

>LORAN-C: an international time and location low frequency standard?
	A ground-based navigation system, similar to DECCA. Used by
	commercial aircraft and ships.

>MIT: Mass. Inst. of Technology?
	You got it.

>NEARNET
	New England Academic Research NETwork.

>net 128.175 friskers
>net 128.4 rascals
	Machines located on the networks with these addresses.

>norad (in context): ? a ____ site
	NORth American Air Defense. The command center of the USAF
	Strategic Air Command. An early pioneer in research of
	synchronizing distributed clocks.

>NSFNET NSS
	National Science Foundation Network Network Support System.
	A soon-to-be-built central monitoring site for NSFNET. I was
	surprised to hear that NSF might move their network operations
	away from Michigan.

>NTP
	Network Time Protocol.

>ntpdc
>ntpdc billboards
	A remote monitoring tool for NTP time server programs.

>oxide plow: informal description of disk head collecting disk scrape stuff

>pelt, pelting
	To beat on. To access/utilize a resource.

>primary server (in this context)
	The NTP synchronization mechanism allows for a primary peer
	group, to which other timers align themselves, in a manner
	similar to the tiered control of the network name service.

>Selective Availability
	The deliberate distortion of the commercial signal from the GPS
	satellites.

>umd1
	A host at University of MarylanD.

>UDP/TIME
	User Datagram Protocol encapsulated time protocol information.

>USCG: United States Coast Guard

>USNO
	United States Naval Observatory.
--
/ Lars Poulsen, SMTS Software Engineer
  CMC Rockwell  lars@CMC.COM

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul A Vixie) (07/08/90)

>>clepsydra
>	Another host site; don't know who or where.

That's clepsydra.dec.com, in Palo Alto, California.
--
Paul Vixie
DEC Western Research Lab	<vixie@wrl.dec.com>