[comp.protocols.time.ntp] New clock in the world

davy@itstd.sri.com (07/11/90)

     From:  Mills@udel.edu
     Date:      Tue, 3 Jul 90 1:09:22 GMT
     Subject:   Re:  New clock in the world

     Notwithstanding all this clap, I have concern about the wwvb huge offset
     of many tens of milliseconds relative to its friends, as well as the
     humungus dispersion, easily 50 times what I would expect. It is apparent
     that either the driver or local-clock machinery is causing rather severe
     timewarps. If those warps reach +-128 milliseconds, the effective radiated
     chronon flux may well disturb the underlying strata and result in timequake
     or worse.

I've noticed this, but usally only after a reboot.  For example, I currently
get:

   (rem)  Address   (lcl)      Strat Poll Reach    Delay   Offset    Disp
   *0.0.0.0         wildcard          1   64  377       1.0    -10.0      0.0
   -apple.com       wildcard          1   64  000      27.0   -126.0  64000.0
   +clepsydra.dec.c 128.18.4.81       1 1024  377      39.0    -16.0      9.0
   +norad.arc.nasa. 128.18.4.81       2 1024  377      20.0    -28.0      7.0
    dcn6.udel.edu   128.18.4.81       1   64  145     479.0      6.0  15601.0

which as I understand things is okay.  (The offset was something like 4.0
this morning when I logged in... it gets a little worse over the day as
I use the box, and then improves as I sit idle - this will change when the
clock moves to a server later this summer.)

     As for the deepening reachability mystery, how do I explain I can ntpdc
     wwvb from a net 128.175 host and can telnet to it from a 128.4 host (one
     hop further) and even read the time via UDP/TIME from that host, but
     have no joy of NTP from the same host? 200-odd other clients don't seem
     to have that trouble. I'm getting no NTP replies at all - no recorded
     lost packets, not czechsum errors, not broken headers - nuttin.

Beats me... the vagaries of network routing, I guess.  I was wondering
if the fact that your subnet number is ".0." had something to do with
it since the RFCs say that's not totally kosher, but I've seen it work
elsewhere, so I can't figure what it'd be messing up....

     Late flash: I tried honking wwvb from another 128.4 host and then from
     a SESQUINET fuzzball. No honk. Have you nudged the ntpd code other than
     the driver? Could there be a version mismatch? Note that the fuzz, as per
     spec, use version 2 in configured honks, but respond with the version of
     the peer after receiving the first quack from the peer.

I didn't touch any code other than the driver, except to add the two or
three lines to call the driver routines.

--Dave