[comp.protocols.time.ntp] VMS and ntp: can one get anything but step adjustments?

dunigan@THDSUN.EPM.ORNL.GOV (Tom Dunigan 576-2522) (10/30/90)

Observing the TGV implementation of NTP on our VMS systems shows
constant drift, and then step adjustments, followed by drift ....
any hope for vms ?

dlnash@ut-emx.uucp (Donald L. Nash) (10/31/90)

In article <9010301232.AA07802@thdsun.EPM.ORNL.GOV>, dunigan@THDSUN.EPM.ORNL.GOV (Tom Dunigan 576-2522) writes:
> Observing the TGV implementation of NTP on our VMS systems shows
> constant drift, and then step adjustments, followed by drift ....
> any hope for vms ?

What do you have your set-threshold set to?  TGV's implementation will
slew the clock by 10% to make adjustments smaller than the value of
set-threshold (in seconds).  For larger adjustments, it uses step
adjustments.

				++Don Nash

				The University of Texas System
				Office of Telecommunication Services

Internet:  don@nic.the.net
BITNET:    DON@THENIC
UUCP:      ...!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!dlnash