[comp.protocols.time.ntp] Not a Lord a-leaping

Mills@udel.edu (01/01/91)

Folks,

Amongst the battery of instruments clicking, humming and
flickering here this evening all eyes and ears were tuned
for The Leap. In spite of the fact I broke a couple of
fuzzballs that, with Louie Mamakos' help, got put right
only a couple of minutes before the Event, all clocks
and monitors were running okay. I am happy to report the
pinball-machine behavior I was so ashamed of at the last
Leap was notably absent on this one. All the fuzzbugs
sailed right through the Leap doing exactly what they
were supposed to. The radios, of course, got scrambled,
but the fuzzies just ignored the nonsense and waited until
the ions cooled before relatching the radios.

I was most concerned about the fuzzbugs in Oslo, which are
chimed to the Norwegian standards - one a cesium clock and
the other a LORAN-C receiver, since those bugs still have
to disambiguate the seconds via the U.S. chimers. Therefore,
it's not just a question of retiming the tick, but knowing
what tick is the right one. Think about it. Anyway, the
bugs figured it all out and the times tick true.

Well, the fuzzballs got it right this time. Now, about the
others. Don't ask.

Dave

iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) (01/01/91)

In article <9012312226.aa10954@huey.udel.edu> Mills@udel.edu writes:
>Folks,
>
>Amongst the battery of instruments clicking, humming and
>flickering here this evening all eyes and ears were tuned
>for The Leap. In spite of the fact I broke a couple of
>fuzzballs that, with Louie Mamakos' help, got put right
>only a couple of minutes before the Event, all clocks
>and monitors were running okay. I am happy to report the
>pinball-machine behavior I was so ashamed of at the last
>Leap was notably absent on this one. All the fuzzbugs
>sailed right through the Leap doing exactly what they
>were supposed to. The radios, of course, got scrambled,
>but the fuzzies just ignored the nonsense and waited until
>the ions cooled before relatching the radios.

Well, almost Dave.  Fuzz.sdsc.edu thinks it's 1989(!).  Here's the output
of ntp -v:

Script started on Mon Dec 31 17:28:39 1990
draco% ntp -v fuzz.sdsc.edu
Packet from: [132.249.16.1]
Leap 0, version 1, mode Server, poll 6, precision -10 stratum 1 (WWVB)
Synch Distance is 0000.0000  0.000000
Synch Dispersion is 0000.0312  0.011993
Reference Timestamp is a94930b5.49780000 Sun Dec 31 17:28:21 1989
Originate Timestamp is ab2a6450.9d1e53a8 Mon Dec 31 17:28:48 1990
Receive Timestamp is   a94930d0.a5a10000 Sun Dec 31 17:28:48 1989
Transmit Timestamp is  a94930d0.d0a30000 Sun Dec 31 17:28:48 1989
Input Timestamp is     ab2a6450.d21d755a Mon Dec 31 17:28:48 1990
fuzz.sdsc.edu: delay:0.039019 offset:-31535999.986265  Sun Dec 31 17:28:48 1989
draco% ^D
script done on Mon Dec 31 17:28:51 1990

One second forward and one year back.   :-)

Mike Iglesias
University of California, Irvine
Internet:    iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu
BITNET:      iglesias@uci
uucp:        ...!ucbvax!ucivax!iglesias

Mills@udel.edu (01/01/91)

Guys,

Well, one of the lords stumbled. Before I could update the
startup file on fuzz.sdsc.edu, for some reason that lord
was rebooted. That of course exlains the great leap backward
31,536,001 seconds. We gotta get new radios that know what
year it is and, for that matter, when the lords should leap.

As seen from here (net 128.4), wwvb.isi.edu, bitsy.mit.edu
and apple.com are oscillating on and off the planet every
few minutes. This is getting worse, as is the packet-drop
rate on SURA-NSFNET paths. Also, dear hears, can I once again
plead for help in resisting the urge to ping NTP with dinky
dcn6.udel.edu? This is a test host located at the end of
a dinky 9600-bps line in my shack. As noted in the NTP atlas
pub/ntp/clock.txt on louie.udel.edu, the operator wishes it
not be used except for experiment and development. Well, the
situation has gotten out of hands, with some 33 developers
now chiming away. This makes it moderately irky when trying
new software. Thanks for your support.

Dave

davy@ERG.SRI.COM (01/02/91)

     From:  Mills@udel.edu
     Date:      Mon, 31 Dec 90 22:26:09 EST
     Subject:   Not a Lord a-leaping

     Well, the fuzzballs got it right this time. Now, about the
     others. Don't ask.

     Dave

I had one machine here complain about it three times, but nothing bad happened,
i.e. no time warps:

Dec 31 21:57:19 san ntpd[127]: Clock is too far off -31536000.142805 sec. [132.249.16.1]
Dec 31 21:58:23 san ntpd[127]: Clock is too far off -31536000.142805 sec. [132.249.16.1]
Dec 31 21:59:27 san ntpd[127]: Clock is too far off -31536000.142805 sec. [132.249.16.1]

The "Dec 31 ..." times are in PST.  132.249.16.1 is fuzz.sdsc.edu.

The leap didn't seem to bother ntp3.4 and my WWVB clock... although the
dispersion has jumped way up:

   (rem)  Address   (lcl)      Strat Poll Reach    Delay   Offset    Disp
*0.0.0.0         wildcard          1   64  377       1.0    -64.0   7522.0

It usually runs down at something less than 10.0.  I'll have to wait and
see if it stabilizes again in the next 24 hours or so.

--Dave

Mills@udel.edu (01/02/91)

davy,

Yeah, yours got zapped by the lord's boot. If you watched your
'VB clock, you would have seen it sail on the old timescale
for a few minutes, then scramble to the new one. The Unix
daemons may or may not do something wonderful in such cases.
The fuzzy ones anticipate the leap and scramble at the
leap instant. Also sprach timewarp.

Dave

paal@TOR.NTA.NO (Paul Spilling) (01/03/91)

Congratulations Dave and happy ticking in the new year.  Paal