[comp.protocols.time.ntp] Time server for HP 9000/3xx??

jsd@esl.ESL.COM (Jeff Dalton) (01/04/91)

I've gotten off the net a version xntp for the Sun and it
seems to be a lot more than I need.  All I want to do is
sync time on about 15 nodes.  The time doesn't have to be
very accurate, all the nodes just need to be within a
second or so.

Is there a time server (such as ntp) which will allow me
to run the server on a node I specify and then have up to
15 clients?  Is it available for the HP9000/3xx running
HP-UX 7.0?

Any help is appreciated...

--
Jeff Dalton, ESL Inc.                    Real programmers can write
jsd@esl.com                                 Fortran in any language.

rees@pisa.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (01/05/91)

In article <370@esl.ESL.COM>, jsd@esl.ESL.COM (Jeff Dalton) writes:

  I've gotten off the net a version xntp for the Sun and it
  seems to be a lot more than I need.  All I want to do is
  sync time on about 15 nodes.  The time doesn't have to be
  very accurate, all the nodes just need to be within a
  second or so.

What I do here is run xntpd on a few select machines, then the rest of them
sync off those by using ntpdate run from cron every few hours.

ken@HPSDLZ.SDD.HP.COM (Ken Stone) (01/05/91)

> Is there a time server (such as ntp) which will allow me
> to run the server on a node I specify and then have up to
> 15 clients?  Is it available for the HP9000/3xx running
> HP-UX 7.0?

Pick up xntp* fro columbia.edu.  Works great ... we use it here on
~250 machines.

  -- Ken

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (01/05/91)

In article <4f01944d.1bc5b@pisa.ifs.umich.edu> rees@pisa.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) writes:
   In article <370@esl.ESL.COM>, jsd@esl.ESL.COM (Jeff Dalton) writes:

     ...xntp for the Sun ...  seems to be a lot more than I need...
     all the nodes just need to be within a second or so.

   What I do here is run xntpd on a few select machines, then the rest
   of them sync off those by using ntpdate run from cron every few
   hours.

The NTP protocol and the UNIX daemon's clock adjustment strategy are
very economically designed, to accomplish the task with a minimum of
intrusion.  The memory and CPU cost of running xntpd on a workstation
is remarkably low, since it is fairly small and only schedules itself
when it knows it will really be needed.  The overhead of a local
networkful of workstations chiming with each other is also remarkably
low, and will disappear into the background noise on your wire.  Don't
be afraid to run the daemon everywhere.