[comp.protocols.time.ntp] ntp

Shaw@udel.edu (01/04/91)

Dispite that most say NTP is protable, one does not have to play with it long
to find that it doesn't all squeeze into just any shell.  We have been working
on stuffing it into a DOS environment for near two years with little success.
At least you are on a unix type system (or are you, I am not familiar with
mainframes to that extent?)  --  multitasking is critical to its present state
of operation.
	We shall proabably have to start from the problem statement in our port
and forget any written code.  You will quite probably be able to port the code
after a fair bit of adjustment.  Good luck, it will be interesting to see what
else the experts on the NTP channel (mail list) will have to say about porting.

Mark Shaw
UDel

Shaw@udel.edu (01/12/91)

I agree totally when it comes to systems like NTP which are developed on
the assumption of multitasking.  I admire DOS for its simplicity though there
are points at which even this is not the case in programming due to quarks
like nonrenterant routines.

There is a posiblity of useing as a base for a simple dedicated time server
but it would be very different than what people call NTP but would provide
similar functions.  However, I would have to say that I would agree it is
starting to look like a waste of time just to save the usefullness of some
old PC's.

Mark A. Shaw - "The NTP burned out."

----- Forwarded message # 1:

Date: Fri, 11 Jan 91 16:06:32 EST
From: Peter Silva <aspgpas@cid.aes.doe.ca>
To: Shaw@udel.edu
Cc: aspgpas@cid.aes.doe.ca
Subject: Re: ntp

Any real OS has at least: multi-tasking are Virtual-Memory. Those are
really basic.  DOS has none of these.  Dos = Doesn't Operate the System.

Real OS's:  UNIX in a thousand flavours, VMS, OS/2, AmigaDOS,
	    MacOS 7.0, Windows 386, CDC NOS/VE etc...

It's ridiculous to expect such things from mere DOS.  Don't you *DARE* bring
up TSR's... the worst task-switching kludge ever.

It's like you were popping a Ford Cosworth into a VW chassis and expecting
it to race F1... good luck.

I'm sorry if I sound a little vehement, but it pains me to see
people wasting their time so wantonly.

--
Peter Silva			OS Support
psilva@cid.aes.doe.ca		Dorval Computing Centre