[comp.protocols.time.ntp] Ultrix 4.1 NTP syslog message inhibition

paul@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (01/17/91)

In Ultrix 4.1 ntp references are scant. What we're trying to do is
inhibit all ntp messages (to syslog). From the VMS implementation from
TGV (Multinet) I guessed to set debuglevel -1. That inhibitted some of
the messages but not all.

Any hints would be appreciated. Thanks!

mogul@wrl.dec.com (Jeffrey Mogul) (01/17/91)

In article <27942.27945861@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> paul@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>In Ultrix 4.1 ntp references are scant. What we're trying to do is
>inhibit all ntp messages (to syslog). From the VMS implementation from
>TGV (Multinet) I guessed to set debuglevel -1. That inhibitted some of
>the messages but not all.

The Ultrix NTP code is almost (not quite) exactly the same as the
ntpd code from the University of Maryland.  This means that no, it
can't be told to shut up.  (There is an undocumented -l flag that
makes it log MORE information via syslog, but you don't want that.)

The best I can suggest in the short term is to obtain the public
domain release (try louie.udel.edu:pub/ntp/ntp-test.tar.Z) and
make the appropriate modifications yourself.  This code should
work just fine in place of the /etc/ntpd supplied with Ultrix,
but of course I'm not promising anything.

I'll mention to the people maintaining Ultrix that it would be
nice to have the ability to inhibit all syslog messages.  However,
in my own experience I have found that the log messages are quite
useful for retrospective debugging.  (We occasionally have discovered
serious hardware or software problems by noticing that ntpd is having
trouble keeping the clock in sync.)

-Jeff

iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) (01/18/91)

In article <1991Jan17.010656.19832@pa.dec.com> mogul@wrl.dec.com (Jeffrey Mogul) writes:
>The best I can suggest in the short term is to obtain the public
>domain release (try louie.udel.edu:pub/ntp/ntp-test.tar.Z) and
>make the appropriate modifications yourself.  This code should
>work just fine in place of the /etc/ntpd supplied with Ultrix,
>but of course I'm not promising anything.

I've been running the code from louie for some time on DECstation
3100 and 5000, under both Ultrix 3.1 and 4.1 with no problems.  In
fact the two campus time servers I run are both DECstation 5000s.

Mike Iglesias
University of California, Irvine
Internet:    iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu
BITNET:      iglesias@uci