[comp.protocols.time.ntp] XNTPD for the RISC/6000

pmurray@APSVAX.APS.MUOHIO.EDU (Peter Murray) (02/12/91)

I'm trying to get xntpd for the RISC/6000 running (from
merit.edu:/pub/xntp), but there are some problems.  I got it to compile
fine (after adding a #include <select.h> line in all of the program
files to solve an undefined fd_set error).  I'm trying to run it with a
simple configuration file now (one server).  When the daemon starts, it
logs a version message to syslog, and then dies 4-5 seconds later
without saying another word.

Also, when trying to use xntpdate to do a one-time sync, it exits with a
message "Alarm Clock" and doesn't set the time.

There is an entry for xntpd (ntp  123/udp) in the /etc/services file.  I
assume I don't need an entry for ntp in the /etc/inetd.conf.

Any suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated!

Peter Murray

PS:  This is an RISC/6000 running AIX 3.1 at release 3002

katz@MERIT.EDU (Dave Katz) (02/12/91)

Sounds like you need to compile with Berserkely compatibility mode.
See if your /etc/xlc.cfg file has an entry for "bsdcc", and if so,
use it.  If not, create a hard link from /bin/bsdcc to /bin/xlc
and add the following piece to /etc/xlc.cfg:

* BSD compatibility
bsdcc:  use        = DEFLT
        crt        = /lib/crt0.o
        mcrt       = /lib/mcrt0.o
        gcrt       = /lib/gcrt0.o
        libraries  = -lbsd, -lc
        proflibs   = -L/lib/profiled,-L/usr/lib/profiled
        options    = -H512,-T512, -qlanglvl=extended, -qnoro, -D_BSD, -D_NONSTD_TYPES, -D_NO_PROTO, -tp,-B/lib/

This should probably fix up your compilation problems as well (there should
be no need to hack the code).

Be forewarned that your kernel may well have a bug making it impossible
to use NTP (if you get syslog messages that say "previous adjustment
did not complete" then you have the bug).  I've heard rumor that
release 3003 has the fix in it;  the APAR number to bug IBM with
is A12990; they should be able to tell you when the fix was installed.

From ntp-relay@trantor.umd.edu Mon Feb 11 15:57:00 1991
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 91 15:40:04 -0500
From: pmurray@apsvax.aps.muohio.edu (Peter Murray)
To: ntp@trantor.umd.edu
Subject: XNTPD for the RISC/6000

I'm trying to get xntpd for the RISC/6000 running (from
merit.edu:/pub/xntp), but there are some problems.  I got it to compile
fine (after adding a #include <select.h> line in all of the program
files to solve an undefined fd_set error).  I'm trying to run it with a
simple configuration file now (one server).  When the daemon starts, it
logs a version message to syslog, and then dies 4-5 seconds later
without saying another word.

Also, when trying to use xntpdate to do a one-time sync, it exits with a
message "Alarm Clock" and doesn't set the time.

There is an entry for xntpd (ntp  123/udp) in the /etc/services file.  I
assume I don't need an entry for ntp in the /etc/inetd.conf.

Any suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated!

Peter Murray

PS:  This is an RISC/6000 running AIX 3.1 at release 3002

milazzo@DIAMOND.BBN.COM (Paul Milazzo) (02/12/91)

   "I've heard rumor that release 3003 has the fix in it;"

It appears so; after we installed 3003 the adjtime complaints went away.

   "the APAR number to bug IBM with is A12990"

You can get a patch for A12990, but DON'T.  The patch is intended for
3001, and if you apply it to a 3002 system it will render the machine
unbootable.

				Paul Milazzo <milazzo@bbn.com>
				BBN Systems and Technologies
				Cambridge, MA