[comp.protocols.time.ntp] Previous time adjustment didn't complete?

mosemann@sardion.unl.edu (Russell Mosemann) (02/24/91)

   I got three messages today like:

Feb 23 12:59:40 sardion xntpd[96]: Previous time adjustment didn't complete

   What was the explanation about why this happens?  I'm sorry for
asking this because it was answered several weeks ago before I got xntpd
running.  I didn't pay attention then, and now all of those messages are
gone from our news host.
   About the same time as these 3 messages a program was running which
really sucked up the system resources.  I'm on a Sun SLC under 4.1.1 of
the operating system.  I have never seen these messages before, and
xntpd seems to running just fine.  Thanks for any explanation.
--
Russell Mosemann                  Internet:      mosemann@crcvms.unl.edu
Network Analyst                   Bitnet:               mosemann@unlvax1

ddrg@hobbit.gandalf.ca (Duncan Glendinning) (02/26/91)

In <1991Feb23.223034.13241@hoss.unl.edu> mosemann@sardion.unl.edu (Russell Mosemann) writes:

>   I got three messages today like:

>Feb 23 12:59:40 sardion xntpd[96]: Previous time adjustment didn't complete

>   What was the explanation about why this happens?  I'm sorry for
>asking this because it was answered several weeks ago before I got xntpd
>running.  I didn't pay attention then, and now all of those messages are
>gone from our news host.
>   About the same time as these 3 messages a program was running which
>really sucked up the system resources.  I'm on a Sun SLC under 4.1.1 of
>the operating system.  I have never seen these messages before, and
>xntpd seems to running just fine.  Thanks for any explanation.

In the `Daemons and Dragons' column of one of the Unix Mags (Unix World?),
there is an article written by someone at Sun regarding SunOS 4.1 and clock
synchronization.  After following his instructions, I eliminated or SunOS 4.1
and 4.1.1 problems.  Here are the instructions, (from Unix World, Vol. 8, Number 12,
page 62), which turns off the kernel variable to disable the software clocks
from synchronizing to the hardware clock:

   # adb -k -w /vunix /dev/mem
   dosynctodr/D
   ./W0
   ./D0
   .?W 0
   .?D 0
--
Duncan Glendinning         CAnet: ddrg@mentor.gandalf.ca, ddrg@gandalf.ca
Gandalf Data Ltd.          Voice: (613) 723-6500

mosemann@sardion.unl.edu (Russell Mosemann) (02/26/91)

In <1991Feb25.201510.7422@hobbit.gandalf.ca> ddrg@hobbit.gandalf.ca (Duncan Glendinning) writes:

>In <1991Feb23.223034.13241@hoss.unl.edu> mosemann@sardion.unl.edu (Russell Mosemann) writes:

>>   I got three messages today like:

>>Feb 23 12:59:40 sardion xntpd[96]: Previous time adjustment didn't complete

>>   What was the explanation about why this happens?

[..]

>which turns off the kernel variable to disable the software clocks
>from synchronizing to the hardware clock:

>   # adb -k -w /vunix /dev/mem
>   dosynctodr/D
>   ./W0
>   ./D0
>   .?W 0
>   .?D 0
>--
>Duncan Glendinning         CAnet: ddrg@mentor.gandalf.ca, ddrg@gandalf.ca
>Gandalf Data Ltd.          Voice: (613) 723-6500
>Nepean, Ontario              Fax: (613) 226-1717
>Canada  K2E 7M4

   Hmmm.  That can't be it.  I put 'tickadj -Aqs' in my rc.local so that
the tick value is automagically calculated and changed, and the value of
dosynctodr is set to zero every time the system is rebooted.