[comp.protocols.time.ntp] ntp & Sparcstation running 4.0.1 -- loss of sync

awy@concurrent.co.UK (Alan Young) (03/08/91)

Running ntpd (manual page dated 15 June 1989) on a Sun4 sparcstation
running SunOS 4.0.1c I can get in sync with another host and get the
offset down to something reasonable (< 100 ms) with a dispersion in the
thousands.  Then the dispersion suddenly goes out to 64000 and we are
out of sync for a couple of minutes.  This cycle repeats about every 5
minutes.  The offset often goes out to as much as 5s.  Someone suggested
that this may be a know problem (with solution): any ideas?

Also, in the simple ntpdc display, the man page describes what '-' & '*'
at the start of a line mean, but what about '+'?

Please reply directly as I am not on the ntp list.

Alan Young.

deering@parc.xerox.com (Steve Deering) (03/10/91)

> Running ntpd (manual page dated 15 June 1989) on a Sun4 sparcstation
> running SunOS 4.0.1c I can get in sync with another host and get the
> offset down to something reasonable (< 100 ms) with a dispersion in the
> thousands.  Then the dispersion suddenly goes out to 64000 and we are
> out of sync for a couple of minutes.  This cycle repeats about every 5
> minutes.  The offset often goes out to as much as 5s.  Someone suggested
> that this may be a know problem (with solution): any ideas?
>
>     Alan Young.

This is a consequence of one or more known problems with the sparcstation
timekeeping code, which I don't have enough time to describe right now.
(If the NTP mailing list is archived somewhere, you might be able to dig
up some old messages giving the gory details.)  But I will tell you what
works for us at Xerox PARC and on Dartnet: we use the xntpd daemon from
the Univ. of Toronto on our sparcstations.  Included in the xntpd release
is a program called "tickadj" that must be run at boot time (before running
xntpd) as follows:

			tickadj -As -t 9999

See the tickadj man page for an explanation.  With this setup, we usually
see offsets less than 1 msec and dispersions less than 2 on our sparcstations
(models 1, 1+ and 2).

One more thing: if you are using the the sparcstation screen for console
output, make sure you are running a window system on that screen, rather
than the plain ROM monitor.  Output via the ROM routines can cause many
clock interrupts to be lost.

Steve Deering
deering@xerox.com

deering@parc.xerox.com (Steve Deering) (03/10/91)

> What version of SunOS are you running?  There is little problem in running
> xntpd under 4.1, the question is whether it will run under 4.0.x.
>
> Mohamed

Oops, you're right -- I overlooked the fact that Alan was asking about
SunOS 4.0.1c.  We are running 4.1 and 4.1.1.

If xntpd won't run on 4.0.x (is this known to be true?), Alan might still try
running tickadj as I described, before starting up ntpd.  It just might work.

Steve

mrp@ucs.adelaide.edu.au (03/11/91)

     > What version of SunOS are you running?  There is little problem in running
     > xntpd under 4.1, the question is whether it will run under 4.0.x.
     >
     > Mohamed

     Oops, you're right -- I overlooked the fact that Alan was asking about
     SunOS 4.0.1c.  We are running 4.1 and 4.1.1.

     If xntpd won't run on 4.0.x (is this known to be true?), Alan might still try
     running tickadj as I described, before starting up ntpd.  It just might work.

I have had no problems, except the "previous time adjustment didn't
complete" nuisance, running it under 4.0.3.

Mark.

prl@iti.org (Peter Lamb) (03/11/91)

deering@parc.xerox.com (Steve Deering) writes:

>If xntpd won't run on 4.0.x (is this known to be true?), Alan might still try
>running tickadj as I described, before starting up ntpd.  It just might work.

We run xntpd on 4.0.3. Sun's clocks aren't wonderful, but we haven't
had any major problem. We run `tickadj -A -s -q' at boot time.

Peter Lamb (prl@iis.ethz.ch)
--
Peter Lamb
uucp:  uunet!mcsun!ethz!prl	eunet: prl@iis.ethz.ch	Tel:   +411 256 5241