[comp.protocols.time.ntp] NTP & Sparcstation

ramus@WINDSAIL.NERSC.GOV (Joe Ramus) (03/12/91)

>> What version of SunOS are you running?  There is little problem in running
>> xntpd under 4.1, the question is whether it will run under 4.0.x.

I am having a problem with a Sparc 1+ running SunOS 4.1.
I built all of the software and then tried the ntpq command like this:

{ROOT:2 } ntpq -i
ntpq: ntp/udp: unknown service

I must have udp running because I have just the standard OS and I do a lot
of network stuff such as NFS, telnet, ftp, rsh, Yellow Pages, etc.

Joe Ramus  Lawrence Livermore Lab      ramus@nersc.gov

wales@CS.UCLA.EDU (Rich Wales) (03/12/91)

Joe --

You said you got the following when you tried running "ntpq":

	{ROOT:2 } ntpq -i
	ntpq: ntp/udp: unknown service

This means you don't have (but need to have) a line such as the follow-
ing in your "/etc/services" file:

		ntp	123/udp		# Network Time Protocol

If you are running YP/NIS, add this line to the /etc/services file on
your YP/NIS master site, then remake the "services" map.

Rich Wales <wales@CS.UCLA.EDU> // UCLA Computer Science Department
3531 Boelter Hall // Los Angeles, CA 90024-1596 // +1 (213) 825-5683

ramus@WINDSAIL.NERSC.GOV (Joe Ramus) (03/12/91)

>> This means you don't have (but need to have) a line such as the follow-
>> ing in your "/etc/services" file:
>>
>> 		ntp	123/udp		# Network Time Protocol
>>
>> If you are running YP/NIS, add this line to the /etc/services file on
>> your YP/NIS master site, then remake the "services" map.

Thanks to several people who came up with this idea.
My current entry has TCP in it so I will change it to UDP.
Here is the current entry from /etc/services:

ntp   123/tcp        # Network Time Protocol

I assume that the standard software distribution from
SUN for SunOS 4.1 must have the tcp entry.

NOTE:  How about listing this possible problem in the README file for
       the NTP distribution so other people will not have to solve
       the same problem again.

Joe Ramus  Lawrence Livermore Lab      ramus@nersc.gov

ramus@WINDSAIL.NERSC.GOV (Joe Ramus) (03/14/91)

HELP.  Is there a proper way to stop the xntpd server and then start
it again later?

I have SunOS 4.1 on a Sparc.
I have the latest XNTP stuff from the LOUIE machine.
I built it all and set up a configuration file and had the
server running for more than 24 hours.  It was great.

Then I killed it by:   kill -9 pid

Now it will not run again.  It seems to start and I can do a PS and
see it but then it goes away real soon.  Here is a sample line:

root       871  0.0  4.9   80  332 ?  S <  18:49   0:00 xntpd -c /etc/ntp.conf

I tried rebooting my system but that did not help.
I run the  TICKADJ program.

I tried the NTPQ program and it works.

I also tried NTPDATE  and it gives a message:   Alarm clock

Joe Ramus  Lawrence Livermore Lab      ramus@nersc.gov

katz@MERIT.EDU (Dave Katz) (03/14/91)

Sounds like somebody probably recompiled the program while you
weren't looking.

I get the same "alarm clock" message from ntpdate when I comple
on an RS/6000 without the bsd compatibility library.  Perhaps
some bad library routines got linked in?  Check the last change
date on xntpd.

From ntp-relay@trantor.umd.edu Wed Mar 13 22:16:32 1991
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 91 19:04:06 PST
From: ramus@windsail.nersc.gov (Joe Ramus)
To: ntp@trantor.umd.edu
Subject: NTP & Sparcstation

HELP.  Is there a proper way to stop the xntpd server and then start
it again later?

I have SunOS 4.1 on a Sparc.
I have the latest XNTP stuff from the LOUIE machine.
I built it all and set up a configuration file and had the
server running for more than 24 hours.  It was great.

Then I killed it by:   kill -9 pid

Now it will not run again.  It seems to start and I can do a PS and
see it but then it goes away real soon.  Here is a sample line:

root       871  0.0  4.9   80  332 ?  S <  18:49   0:00 xntpd -c /etc/ntp.conf

I tried rebooting my system but that did not help.
I run the  TICKADJ program.

I tried the NTPQ program and it works.

I also tried NTPDATE  and it gives a message:   Alarm clock

Joe Ramus  Lawrence Livermore Lab      ramus@nersc.gov

ramus@WINDSAIL.NERSC.GOV (Joe Ramus) (03/15/91)

Thanks to those who helped solve my problem.
I had  xntpd  running once but then it would not run after a reboot.

The problem is that the Sparc has both a BSD & a System V development
environment.  Since I work with System V, I had my path set that way
yesterday when I recompiled the xntpd program.  The earlier version
that worked must have been compiled with my path set for BSD.

So I changed the line in the Config file to look like this:
COMPILER= /usr/ucb/cc

NOTE:  How about mentioning in the README file that SUN machines
       require the use of the BSD environment.