[comp.protocols.time.ntp] need help with ntpd

ric@ace.sri.com (Richard Steinberger) (03/17/91)

I have retrieved and built the ntp.3.4 [patchlevel 13] that I found
in the pub/ntp directory of louie.udel.edu.  Everything compiled
fine on our Alliant FX/40 [ a BSD 4.3 OS variant].  ntp works fine.
That is I can type something like "ntp apple.com" and I get a valid
response.  But ntpd does not start properly.  The message in the relevant
syslog file is: "  get interface configuration: Can't assign requested
address".  Can anyone explain what this means and what I should do about
it?  I am including the /etc/ntp.conf file I set up.  Thanks for any
help or suggestions.

regards,

	ric steinberger
	ric@ace.sri.com

# $Source: /usr/users/louie/ntp/RCS/ntp.conf,v $ $Revision: 3.4.1.1 $ $Date: 89/03/22 18:33:02 $
#
# 		Local clock parameters
#
#
#	Precision of the local clock to the nearest power of 2
#		ex.
#			60-HZ   = 2**-6
#			100-HZ  = 2**-7
#			1000-HZ = 2**-10
precision -7
#
#	Peers - please refer to the README file for proper selection of
#		NTP peers
#
peer	   norad.arc.nasa.gov
peer       apple.com
peer       umd1.umd.edu
server       wwvb.isi.edu

bob@KAHALA.SOEST.HAWAII.EDU (Bob Cunningham) (03/21/91)

Alliant machines have strange Unix kernels due to their multiprocessing
configurations (two different types of cpus; an FX machine can have
several of each).  In brief, ntpd from the ntp.3.4 distribution just
doesn't work (nor ntpd from any previous distribution).  Nor xntpd.  A
couple of years ago I tried digging in and trying to find out why, but
finally gave up after exhausting my (admittedly meager) knowledge of
the unique internels of the Alliant kernels.

The only good news I have for you is that "ntpdate" (from the xntp
distribution) apparently works just fine.  I've been running that on
our FX/80 (out of crontab, once an hour) for at least 18 months and can
testify that it does the job...though why that works whilst the daemons
don't is still very much a mystery to me.

Since Alliants under load lose a lot of clock ticks (which I'd guess
has to do with cross-processor interrupts disabling clock updates),
running "ntpdate" has been a big win for us.  It's very common to see
adjustments of the order of 1 second an hour needed to catch up with
lost ticks.

gjalt@es.ele.tue.nl (Gjalt de Jong AIO) (03/21/91)

on Wed, 20 Mar 91 08:10:51 HST,
bob@kahala.soest.hawaii.edu (Bob Cunningham) said:

> Alliant machines have strange Unix kernels due to their multiprocessing
> configurations (two different types of cpus; an FX machine can have
> several of each).  In brief, ntpd from the ntp.3.4 distribution just
> doesn't work (nor ntpd from any previous distribution).  Nor xntpd.  A
> couple of years ago I tried digging in and trying to find out why, but
> finally gave up after exhausting my (admittedly meager) knowledge of
> the unique internels of the Alliant kernels.

> The only good news I have for you is that "ntpdate" (from the xntp
> distribution) apparently works just fine.  I've been running that on

How strange. We have xntpd running on our Alliant FX/8 without any problems.
No compilation problems and it also runs fine.
__
Gjalt G. de Jong,                 | Phone: +31-40-473345, Fax. +31-40-448375
Eindhoven University of Technology, Dept. of Electr. Eng. (ES/EH 7.26)
P.O. Box 513, 5600 MB Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Email: gjalt@es.ele.tue.nl

ake@cs.umu.se (]ke Sandgren) (03/22/91)

In article <9103210740.AA04434@es.ele.tue.nl> gjalt@es.ele.tue.nl (Gjalt de Jong AIO) writes:

>on Wed, 20 Mar 91 08:10:51 HST,
>bob@kahala.soest.hawaii.edu (Bob Cunningham) said:
>

>> Alliant machines have strange Unix kernels due to their multiprocessing
>> configurations (two different types of cpus; an FX machine can have
>> several of each).  In brief, ntpd from the ntp.3.4 distribution just
>> doesn't work (nor ntpd from any previous distribution).  Nor xntpd.  A
>How strange. We have xntpd running on our Alliant FX/8 without any problems.
>No compilation problems and it also runs fine.

And we are running it (xntpd) on our FX/2808 also without problems.
It works like a charm at precision -7, maxskew 0.015 which keeps it at
approx 1-2 ms off of the stratum 2 machine we sync with.
--
Ake Sandgren, Inst. of Info. Proc, Umea University, S-90187 Umea, Sweden
Internet: ake@cs.umu.se				Phone: +46 90 166134