[comp.protocols.time.ntp] xntpd problem on Sun SPARC 1

zook@sweetpea.jsc.nasa.gov (Craig A. Zook x4206) (03/25/91)

I have be attempting to use the xntpd program from louie.udel.edu.  I had
no trouble installing it on a Sun 4/280.  But when I tried to install it
on a Sun 4/60 (SPARC 1) it did not work correctly.  The first problem is
that the program generates several hundred messages to the syslog.
A sample follows:

Mar 25 07:46:29 odessa xntpd[2358]: Previous time adjustment didn't complete
Mar 25 07:53:25 odessa last message repeated 14 times
Mar 25 07:53:57 odessa xntpd[2358]: Previous time adjustment didn't complete
Mar 25 07:58:57 odessa last message repeated 10 times
Mar 25 07:59:25 odessa xntpd[2358]: Previous time adjustment didn't complete
Mar 25 08:06:25 odessa last message repeated 14 times
Mar 25 08:06:57 odessa xntpd[2358]: Previous time adjustment didn't complete

When I run "xntpdc -c peers" I see that the requested adjtime is not always
taking place.  As a matter of fact the offset is as likely to increase as
to decrease.  The net result is that the clock accuracy is about .2 seconds
as opposed to the > .02 second I get on the 4/280.

My best guess is that the when the Previous time adjustment does not complete
the next time adjustment messes things up.  It also seems likely the the
root problem is that the SPARC 1 can not complete an adjtime in under
4 seconds.  From the man pages for adjtime it says:

     The adjustment is effected by speeding up (if that amount of
     time is positive) or slowing down (if that amount of time is
     negative) the system's clock by some small percentage,  gen-
     erally  a fraction of one percent.  Thus, the time is always
     a monotonically increasing function.  A time correction from
     an  earlier  call to adjtime() may not be finished when adj-
     time() is called again.

No where does it mention how long it should take to slew the clock.

By the way, the error messages can be suppressed by commenting out line
357 in the program ntp_unixclock.c and remaking xntpd.

If anyone has a solution to this problem please let me know.

--
Craig Zook   -   zook@sweetpea.jsc.nasa.gov
Systems Engineeering and Administration

linegar@bwdls49.bnr.ca (Derick Linegar) (03/26/91)

zook@sweetpea.jsc.nasa.gov (Craig A. Zook  x4206) writes:

>I have be attempting to use the xntpd program from louie.udel.edu.  I had
>no trouble installing it on a Sun 4/280.  But when I tried to install it
>on a Sun 4/60 (SPARC 1) it did not work correctly.  The first problem is
>that the program generates several hundred messages to the syslog.
>A sample follows:

>Mar 25 07:46:29 odessa xntpd[2358]: Previous time adjustment didn't complete
>Mar 25 07:53:25 odessa last message repeated 14 times
>Mar 25 07:53:57 odessa xntpd[2358]: Previous time adjustment didn't complete
>Mar 25 07:58:57 odessa last message repeated 10 times
>Mar 25 07:59:25 odessa xntpd[2358]: Previous time adjustment didn't complete
>Mar 25 08:06:25 odessa last message repeated 14 times
>Mar 25 08:06:57 odessa xntpd[2358]: Previous time adjustment didn't complete

>When I run "xntpdc -c peers" I see that the requested adjtime is not always
>taking place.  As a matter of fact the offset is as likely to increase as
>to decrease.  The net result is that the clock accuracy is about .2 seconds
>as opposed to the > .02 second I get on the 4/280.

>My best guess is that the when the Previous time adjustment does not complete
>the next time adjustment messes things up.  It also seems likely the the
>root problem is that the SPARC 1 can not complete an adjtime in under
>4 seconds.  From the man pages for adjtime it says:

>     The adjustment is effected by speeding up (if that amount of
>     time is positive) or slowing down (if that amount of time is
>     negative) the system's clock by some small percentage,  gen-
>     erally  a fraction of one percent.  Thus, the time is always
>     a monotonically increasing function.  A time correction from
>     an  earlier  call to adjtime() may not be finished when adj-
>     time() is called again.

>No where does it mention how long it should take to slew the clock.

>By the way, the error messages can be suppressed by commenting out line
>357 in the program ntp_unixclock.c and remaking xntpd.

>If anyone has a solution to this problem please let me know.

This keep coming up, so here is a message that tries to explain some
workaround for this [in]famous message:

(BTW, the adb trick works for me, I haven't had that beelming message
 since....)

				-derick-

Included message:

From comp.protocols.time.ntp Tue Feb 26 08:14:54 1991
Newsgroups: comp.protocols.time.ntp
From: ddrg@hobbit.gandalf.ca (Duncan Glendinning)
Subject: Re: Previous time adjustment didn't complete?
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 1991 20:15:10 GMT

In <1991Feb23.223034.13241@hoss.unl.edu> mosemann@sardion.unl.edu (Russell Mosemann) writes:

>   I got three messages today like:

>Feb 23 12:59:40 sardion xntpd[96]: Previous time adjustment didn't complete

>   What was the explanation about why this happens?  I'm sorry for
>asking this because it was answered several weeks ago before I got xntpd
>running.  I didn't pay attention then, and now all of those messages are
>gone from our news host.
>   About the same time as these 3 messages a program was running which
>really sucked up the system resources.  I'm on a Sun SLC under 4.1.1 of
>the operating system.  I have never seen these messages before, and
>xntpd seems to running just fine.  Thanks for any explanation.

In the `Daemons and Dragons' column of one of the Unix Mags (Unix World?),
there is an article written by someone at Sun regarding SunOS 4.1 and clock
synchronization.  After following his instructions, I eliminated or SunOS 4.1
and 4.1.1 problems.  Here are the instructions, (from Unix World, Vol. 8, Number 12,
page 62), which turns off the kernel variable to disable the software clocks
from synchronizing to the hardware clock:

   # adb -k -w /vunix /dev/mem
   dosynctodr/D
   ./W0
   ./D0
   .?W 0
   .?D 0
--
Duncan Glendinning         CAnet: ddrg@mentor.gandalf.ca, ddrg@gandalf.ca
Gandalf Data Ltd.          Voice: (613) 723-6500

From comp.protocols.time.ntp Tue Feb 26 08:15:20 1991
From: mosemann@sardion.unl.edu (Russell Mosemann)
Newsgroups: comp.protocols.time.ntp
Date: 25 Feb 91 23:22:09 GMT
Sender: news@hoss.unl.edu (Network News Administer)

In <1991Feb25.201510.7422@hobbit.gandalf.ca> ddrg@hobbit.gandalf.ca (Duncan Glendinning) writes:

>In <1991Feb23.223034.13241@hoss.unl.edu> mosemann@sardion.unl.edu (Russell Mosemann) writes:

>>   I got three messages today like:

>>Feb 23 12:59:40 sardion xntpd[96]: Previous time adjustment didn't complete

>>   What was the explanation about why this happens?

[..]

>which turns off the kernel variable to disable the software clocks
>from synchronizing to the hardware clock:

>   # adb -k -w /vunix /dev/mem
>   dosynctodr/D
>   ./W0
>   ./D0
>   .?W 0
>   .?D 0
>--
>Duncan Glendinning         CAnet: ddrg@mentor.gandalf.ca, ddrg@gandalf.ca
>Gandalf Data Ltd.          Voice: (613) 723-6500
>Nepean, Ontario              Fax: (613) 226-1717
>Canada  K2E 7M4

   Hmmm.  That can't be it.  I put 'tickadj -Aqs' in my rc.local so that
the tick value is automagically calculated and changed, and the value of
dosynctodr is set to zero every time the system is rebooted.
--
Russell Mosemann                  Internet:      mosemann@crcvms.unl.edu
Network Analyst                   Bitnet:               mosemann@unlvax1

--
#include <disclaimer.h>
Derick Linegar,     Internet Systems 4P27,              Bell-Northern Research