[comp.protocols.time.ntp] World's Smallest GPS Receiver?

bob@KAHALA.SOEST.HAWAII.EDU (Bob Cunningham) (05/11/91)

As an aside, there are now many rather small complete GPS "systems".
Besides the handhelds with batteries (e.g., the little Magellans,
Trimbles, etc.), the Magnavox 4200 series (including the 4200D for
differential GPS) are particularly interesting for computer
applications.  Its little box is roughly 8"x5"x1.5", and it's a
complete system (for regular 120V power), six channels, without a
display, has just an RS232 port.  The antenna is fairly small as well
(you could hold it in your hand), connects to the 4200 via coax.  Many
(perhaps too many:-) options for various sorts of ASCII or binary
output.

I'm sure there's other interesting new GPS hardware now as well.
I'd be Really Nice if someone would put together a list of what's
currently available!

LANG@unb.CA (05/11/91)

On  Fri, 10 May 91 15:04:52 ADT  bob@kahala.soest.hawaii.edu (Bob
Cunningham) writes:

> I'm sure there's other interesting new GPS hardware now as well.
> I'd be Really Nice if someone would put together a list of what's
> currently available!

Such a list has been put together by Navtech Seminars Inc.  The version
dated 5 January 1991 runs to 68 8-1/2" x 11" pages.  It's in tabular
format with columns headed:manufacturer, model, # chanels, application,
# manufactured / date introduced, power / voltage, weight, dimensions,
accuracy, list price, interface bus / ports, notes and references.
Pictures of some of the receivers are included.  Addresses and phone
numbers of the manufacturers are included.  The list costs $15 and may
be ordered by calling 1-800-NAV-0885.  My connection with Navtech is 1)
they flog the GPS book I co-authored and 2) I'm an occasional lecturer
for them.

 Richard B. Langley                          BITnet: LANG@UNB.CA or SE@UNB.CA
 Geodetic Research Laboratory                Phone:  (506) 453-5142
 Dept. of Surveying Engineering              Telex:  014-46202
 University of New Brunswick                 FAX:    (506) 453-4943
 Fredericton, N.B., Canada  E3B 5A3

scoggin@delmarva.delmarva.COM (John Scoggin) (05/11/91)

In reference to the Magellan GPS board set, I spoke to an applications
engineer about it some months ago.  He told me that it was not designed as a tistandard and would only be accurate to one second or so.  Needless to say,
I was disappointed.

John K. Scoggin, Jr.
Supervisor, Network Operations		Phone:  (302) 451-5200
Delmarva Power & Light Company		Fax:	(302) 451-5321
500 N. Wakefield Drive			Email:	scoggin@delmarva.com
Newark, DE  19714-6066
"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon load of magnetic
 tapes screaming down the interstate!"

dpk@fid.Morgan.COM (Doug Kingston) (05/11/91)

What are the specs on this?  RS232 in and out?  Can mere mortals
make use of this.  Who's going to be the first company to produce
something fot the marine market (where GPS can be had for $1750 from
catalog marine suppliers).

-Doug-