[comp.protocols.time.ntp] NTP ... SunOS

kevinr@SUNTAN.TANDEM.COM (Kevin J. Rowett) (05/21/91)

>   In article <9105171342.AA23309@volitans.morningstar.com> bob@morningstar.com (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
>
>I'm informed by a reliable source within Sun that
>
>	From: DeepThroat@Somewhere.Sun.COM (Deep Throat)
>	To: bob@morningstar.com
>	Subject: Re: synchronizing a LAN-full of machines
>
>	Sun will deliver SVR4 with NTP..  A V3 daemon if [it gets]
>	done in time.

"Several technologies exist that can implement a network time service. Sun will
 support the Network Time Protocol (NTP), developed by Internet researchers, on
 the Sun platform by the second half of 1990".

Page 61 paragraph two of section 3.5: Time/Synchronization Services;
Sun Software Technical Bulletin March 1991; P/N 812-9103-01.

Note: the date cited is as it appears in my copy, however, I believe it should
in fact be 1991.  Also, no mention is made if the SparcStation will then
be able to keep decent time :-).

kevinr@tandem.com