Date:         Mon, 3 Jun 91 12:59:00 GMT
Sender:       Short Wave Listener's List <SWL-L@CUVMA.BITNET>
Comments:     Warning -- original Sender: tag was NETNEWS@AUVM.AUVM.EDU
From:         benk@INMET.INMET.COM
Subject:      VNG to Operate on 12.984 MHz
To:           "Richard B. Langley" <LANG@UNB.CA>, Reinhold Kaiser <REKA@UNB.CA>

    As nearly everyone must know by now, on 8 May 1991 VNG, the Austrailian
standard time and frequency station, moved its 15 MHz transmissions to 16 MHz.
I recently received a letter from Dr. Marion Leiba, Honorary Secretary of the
VNG User's Consortium, reporting that on 1 May VNG was issued a license to
operate on 12.984 MHz.  The letter syas that the frequency is on loan from
the Royal Australian Navy and that they [they Navy] reserve the right to take
back the frequency at any time, should they need it.  The transmissions on
12.984 MHz will be double sideband at 10 kW power, but that the bandwidth
will be restricted to 3 kHz at the Navy's request.  Because of international
spectrum allocations, VNG will not be permitted to transmit voice IDs on
12.984 MHz.  Instead, the callsign "VNG" will be transmitted in Morse Code,
probably with a frequency of 400 Hz.  The letter also went on to say that
operation on 12.984 MHz was expected to commence "around the end of June",
and that until then, "the 5 and 10 MHz transmissions will continue as before,
and 16 MHz will be broadcast from 2200-1100 UTC each day".

    According to a handwritten personal note from Dr. Leiba accompanying the
letter, operation on 12.984 MHz is now expected to begin on July 3, 1991.
No time was given.  In addition, its not clear from the material I recieved
wether 12.984 MHz will *replace* 5, 10, or 16 MHz or *supplement* them.
My *personal* hunch is that no matter what, 16 MHz won't be replaced, because
VNG re-cut its old 15 MHz transmitting antenna to operate 16 MHz on or about
6-8 May, and I'd doubt that they'd want to "throw away" all that work.
I *think* that VNG actually has four transmitters, the 4th currently serving
as a backup, so that there may be a chance that 12.984 MHz will be added to
5, 10, and 16 MHz.

    -- Ben Krepp

    From internet: benk@inmet.inmet.com
    From uunet:    uunet!inmet!benk
--------------------- End of forwarded message ---------------------

 Richard B. Langley                          BITnet: LANG@UNB.CA or SE@UNB.CA
 Geodetic Research Laboratory                Phone:  (506) 453-5142
 Dept. of Surveying Engineering              Telex:  014-46202
 University of New Brunswick                 FAX:    (506) 453-4943
 Fredericton, N.B., Canada  E3B 5A3

Mills@udel.edu (06/05/91)

Richard,

I record 12984 kHz as in the Maritime Mobile (coast) band allocated for
A1 Morse telegraphy and currently also occupied by 4XO Haifa Radio and CFH-L
Halifax Radio (Canada). I believe both of those guys are military, but they
aren't gonna love VNG's plans a bit. On the other hand, 16000 kHz is smack
a-middle a Fixed service allocation and probably only gets a few old Van
Durren machine telegraph dinosaurs ornery. Let them use SITOR.

Dave